Fan Settings???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I just want some opinions on fan settings...

I have the typical bolt on pulley equipped 03 Cobra(mods listed below)and I was wondering how I should go about choosing my fan settings.

I've been chasing some cooling system woes all summer but everything seems to be well buttoned up now. Engine cooling mods are as follows:

Completely flushed cooling system
80/20 distilled water/coolant mix
30 oz. of "40-Below" additive
Stock OEM 180* t-stat(drilled w/4 holes)
New expansion tank cap

*BTW, system is burped correctly and running well*

My question is, what should be my fan settings with the above mods and what is the reasoning for your answers??? There seems to be 2 schools of thought on this subject. Some say both fan settings should be on all the time and others say only use the fan(low and high) as needed.

My tune basically has both fan settings on all the time right now. Should I change this??? If so, why??? BTW, I have the SCT power programmer, so adjusting it would be no problem.

Just looking for some input...thanks!!!

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Come on guys...what are your fan settings???

Having the fan on all the time doesn't seem to be working for me.

Early in the mornings when I head to work...I'm barely breaking 170 when I'm cruising in 6th with no traffic. Outside temps are in the 60's.

I want her to run above 180.

Just post some of your high/low speed fan settings so I can get an idea of where I should set mine.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I have a 170* t-stat, my engine runs around 176-180 on the highway. I have the low speed fan turning on @ 194 and off at 190. the high-speed fan comes on around 204 i think.

the temp needle will never get to normal if the coolant temps dont get into the high 180's. So for me, i like knowing th engine gets a chance to really warm up in low speed driving, then cools back down to 180* on its own when i hit the highway.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Some say both fans should be on all the time
Anyone who tells you that clearly does not know what they're talking about and I would pass on any further advice from them, plus there is only one fan with 2 speeds :)

On your setup I would run these settings:

FAN ECT1 HIGH ON 192
FAN ECT2 HIGH ON 192
FAN HIGH OFF 186
FAN LOW OFF 186
FAN LOW ON 186

This will result in low speed on at 188*, high on at 192* and fan will shut off at 184*. A larger lower air dam will take some stress off the fan and get you better recovery at speed. I'm also working on a better stat and a couple members will be testing the prototypes soon so keep an eye out.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Anyone who tells you that clearly does not know what they're talking about and I would pass on any further advice from them, plus there is only one fan with 2 speeds :)

On your setup I would run these settings:

FAN ECT1 HIGH ON 192
FAN ECT2 HIGH ON 192
FAN HIGH OFF 186
FAN LOW OFF 186
FAN LOW ON 186

This will result in low speed on at 188*, high on at 192* and fan will shut off at 184*. A larger lower air dam will take some stress off the fan and get you better recovery at speed. I'm also working on a better stat and a couple members will be testing the prototypes soon so keep an eye out.

My bad...maybe I worded my oringinal post incorrectly...

What I probably should have said "...have both fan settings on all the time." instead of "..have both fans on all the time."

Actually, the person who set up my fan settings has tuned hundreds of Cobras. I've put about 15,000 miles on one of his 91 octane tunes with no problems whatsoever. Recently I was running into cooling problems and had him change the settings. It was running decently with the old settings (high speed going on at 201, off at 192, not sure about the low speeds???) but I wanted the fans on sooner to maximize my cooling. Per my request he changed the settings and says that he has set up many Cobras like this and never had any problems.

I was just looking for other opinions and advice from people that have played around with different fan settings. My only concern was basically having the fan (yes I know it's one fan) on all the time. I'm afraid that my car is taking too long getting up to normal operating temps when it's cold or mild out??? In addition, I'm not sure of the wear and tear on the fan motor if it's always on???

It runs fine this way in 80-100 degree heat but my early morning drives in 60 degree temps on my DD Cobra are worrying me since the car is only running about 170 degrees or so in the lower temps.

My current settings are the following:

High speed on 140
High speed off 138
Low speed on 136
Low Speed off 134

So basically once my car gets up to 140 degrees+, the fan never shuts off. That's fine if you are running when it's warm out but how about in the cooler temps???

These fan settings may work for people that occasionally drive their Cobra's in warm temps but how about the cars that see flunctuations in temps from 60-100 on a given day???

BTW, thanks for the t-stat info but I'm pretty happy with my cooling system with a drilled stock OEM t-stat. The cooling is fine...just trying to dial in the perfect fan settings.

:beer:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I tried changing my fan settings using my SCT programmer tonight. It only asks for high/low speed on settings??? I wasn't able to change the high/low speed off settings???

WTF???

Am I doing it wrong??? Does anybody know how to change all the fan settings??? Do I need a lap top to do this???

Later...Dave

04CobraMatt

Established Member
My current settings are the following:

High speed on 140
High speed off 138
Low speed on 136
Low Speed off 134

So basically once my car gets up to 140 degrees+, the fan never shuts off. That's fine if you are running when it's warm out but how about in the cooler temps???

Sorry but thats just wrong. With a drilled t-stat your rad is always in use and having the fans on constantly will keep the temps way to low, not to mention burning them out way to fast.

Running an engine too cold causes extra wear, also hurts fuel economy. Fuel Injected engines are made to run between 180-200*. There is no good reason to run cooler.

The reason you dont have the "off" setting is because your using only the handheld to make adjustments, alot of us have the Pro Racer package and are making the changes directly in the SCT Advantage software.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Sorry but thats just wrong. With a drilled t-stat your rad is always in use and having the fans on constantly will keep the temps way to low, not to mention burning them out way to fast.

Running an engine too cold causes extra wear, also hurts fuel economy. Fuel Injected engines are made to run between 180-200*. There is no good reason to run cooler.

The reason you dont have the "off" setting is because your using only the handheld to make adjustments, alot of us have the Pro Racer package and are making the changes directly in the SCT Advantage software.

Yep, agreed, this is why I want to change it. I want it to run over 180 all the time. Most of the day it does but during these early morning commutes it never makes it passed 180!!!

What happens when I only change the on settings??? Will it revert to the old off settings my tuner has in there...the 138 and 134 degree off settings???

I'll call him today and see if he can change them all again.

I'm thinking something like this:

190 High speed on
180 High speed off
185 Low speed on
175 Low speed off

What do you guys think of the above settings??? I kinda figure my engine temps will be around 180 for my morning commute and the fan will never go on.

In the heat of the day, the fan will start kicking on as needed.

Later...Dave

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Over a certain speed (i think around 50mph but i'll have to check) the fans turn off. So if your morning commute involves alot of highway, your drilled t-stat is constantly circulation not allowing your engine not warm up. This is why im completely against drilling them.

I run a 170*, which I find about 10* to cold. I run into the same problem as you, each morning I jump on the highway and my temp stop around 176* and wont get into the 180's until i slow down. A real non-drilled 180* t-stat will allow the engine to get to ~185* before the rad starts circulating, fans on or off.

This is what I run. In the stock tune there is a 4* difference between on and off, I try to maintain that.

204 High speed on
200 High speed off
194 Low speed on
190 Low speed off

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Over a certain speed (i think around 50mph but i'll have to check) the fans turn off. So if your morning commute involves alot of highway, your drilled t-stat is constantly circulation not allowing your engine not warm up. This is why im completely against drilling them.

I run a 170*, which I find about 10* to cold. I run into the same problem as you, each morning I jump on the highway and my temp stop around 176* and wont get into the 180's until i slow down. A real non-drilled 180* t-stat will allow the engine to get to ~185* before the rad starts circulating, fans on or off.

This is what I run. In the stock tune there is a 4* difference between on and off, I try to maintain that.

204 High speed on
200 High speed off
194 Low speed on
190 Low speed off

Ok, this is good information. I didn't know the fan turns off over a certain speed??? So it's my drilled t-stat that's keeping her so cool in the early mornings huh???

She is running so good in the heat of day now(socal summer)...I only wish the temps could increase just a little bit more during the morning commutes. If she was running 180-185 instead of 170-175, things would be good IMO.

Maybe I'll look into a real 180 degree t-stat but I thought these didn't flow as well as the stock unit???

Thanks for input guys...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

So...since the SCT programmer doesn't allow me to change the low/high speed off settings, it'll automatically make the off settings 4 degrees lower then my on settings???

For example...if I make my high speed turn on at 190, the SCT programmer will automatically set my high speed off at 186???

Is this correct???

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
My fan never turns off at any certain speed that I can tell. It is also able to assist in dropping ECT temps at 70mph.

So what you're saying is once you car gets up to operating temps and doesn't drop below your off settings...the fan never turns off over 50 MPH???

What is it guys??? Is the MPH turn off a programable perimeter like the fans???

:shrug:

Later...Dave

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I don't remeber mine exactly but I think I have low speed to come on at 190 then but not shut off til it gets to 186 or 187 , I have the high speed fan to come on at about 195 and stay on til 191. I have stock thermostat btw.
This works pretty well for me If I am on the hwy it never comes on it if I am in traffic it runs on low speed most the time, but in the winter it doesn't have to come on much.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
...the fan never turns off over 50 MPH??
Not at all, I'm just saying the fan doesn't turn off until ECT hits the commanded "off" temp. However I was also surprised to see on very hot days the low speed kick on and actually bring the ECT temp down a few degrees even at fwy speeds. I've done a great deal of monitoring and experimentation with this cooling system.
So it's my drilled t-stat that's keeping her so cool in the early mornings huh???... If she was running 180-185 instead of 170-175, things would be good IMO.
Yup you're 100% right and I'm actually developing a stat that will work a little better for you. As soon as I get some more real world data with the stats and feel comfortable selling the units, do you want me to contact you?

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Not at all, I'm just saying the fan doesn't turn off until ECT hits the commanded "off" temp. However I was also surprised to see on very hot days the low speed kick on and actually bring the ECT temp down a few degrees even at fwy speeds. I've done a great deal of monitoring and experimentation with this cooling system.Yup you're 100% right and I'm actually developing a stat that will work a little better for you. As soon as I get some more real world data with the stats and feel comfortable selling the units, do you want me to contact you?

I'm always opened to new technology and improvements...put me on your list for sure.

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

I picked up one of Joel's (jmproductions) t-stats today...

Great lookin' product and A+ service!!!

Hopefully this will allow me to dial in my cooling system better??? I'm stiill on the fence in regards to the drilled OEM t-stat. In theory, Joel's t-stat should allow my car to warm up quicker then the drilled OEM but also allow me a better then stock engine operating temperature.

I'll probably swap them out at my next flush.

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Had my fan settings changed in my tune today...

HS on 190
HS off 184
LS on 180
LS off 174

We'll see how she does now???

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread