Fan Clutch removal

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
not sure on the size...but we used a large pipe wrench and a large cresent wrench. Remember its reverse thread...lefty tighty...righty loosie

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
it's a 36mm. some of them are hard to get off there.. I have a special tool I use it is a lisle products 43300 and is used with an air hammer. if you do not hvae oen you will need something to hold the water pump pulley with, I have a special tool used for that too made by schley products for snap-on that works really well 30 bucks on ebay for that tool I think.

Last edited:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
been a while since I removed one but Im pretty sure its standard thread...righty tighty lefty loosey.....

bgstew6

Established Member
go to autozone and get a fan clutch removal tool loaner...

boost_freak

Whipple Powered
Established Member
You don't need any fan removal tool kit. A pry bar or large screwdriver and a big adjustable wrench work perfectly. Here is a pic from JDM install instructions.

fan.jpg

bgstew6

Established Member
If he doesnt have a big ass crescent and pry bar he does LOL

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
If he doesnt have a big ass crescent and pry bar he does LOL

call me old fashioned but I like to use the right tools designed for the job, like putting lower L pulleys on, you can put the strap from the flywheel to the bell housing that often comes with the pulleys on there, but why not use the flywheel lock out tool OTC designed for ford? they are cheap and you don't risk damage to the trans case. ehh, that is just me I guess.

boost_freak

Whipple Powered
Established Member
The "correct" tools do the same thing as the prybar/screwdriver method. they lever on the water pump pulley bolts.

61TBEDrtmtL._SL500_AA250_.gif

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
The "correct" tools do the same thing as the prybar/screwdriver method. they lever on the water pump pulley bolts.

61TBEDrtmtL._SL500_AA250_.gif

yeah, will work fine on the L but I challenge you to use this method on other vehilces where the prybar won't fit. So if 2 years down the road a fan clutch used on another vehicle where a prybar won't fit needs to be used, you will have to get the tools anyway, so why not have the right tool handy.

jerardogav

Established Member
I used some vise grips to hold the shaft that comes out of the water pump and a crescent wrench. Luckily it was loose.

venom50

Established Member
well al done.But the autozone tool sucked.But it still did the job.Maybe its just me but now i can fell all the clutch drag now.Any ways thax guys.

venom50

Established Member
ok so i changed out the fan clutch.and put in a autozone replacement part.But now the fan just puts out so much drag .that it runs like crap.especally at a red light w/ the ac on.The removed it and put the stock one side by side and the oem clutch looks bigger.Should i go to the dealer and by a oem fan clutch for a lightning .The manager at autozone claimed that nothing was wrong w/ thier clutch.So i reved the gas and it sounds like a dam plane.:mj:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
ok so i changed out the fan clutch.and put in a autozone replacement part.But now the fan just puts out so much drag .that it runs like crap.especally at a red light w/ the ac on.The removed it and put the stock one side by side and the oem clutch looks bigger.Should i go to the dealer and by a oem fan clutch for a lightning .The manager at autozone claimed that nothing was wrong w/ thier clutch.So i reved the gas and it sounds like a dam plane.:mj:

OEM stuff is best in most cases.
They may cost more, but they will usually outlast and outperform generic parts from the corner parts store.
They also fit a lot better.
Don't ask me how I know all this..... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread