Fair price for rebuilding my motor?

svtcobralover

Established Member
I'm looking to take my tax return this year and hopefully rebuild my motor. I'm looking to build a motor on the side while I daily drive my cobra. I have a teksid block already and looking for a crank. My goals are simply to have a reliable motor. I want to just keep enjoying driving this car and looking to have as little down time as possible.
My goals are not to go to crazy with the build. Hopefully in the future through a on3 kit on it and still maintain reliability. This car is not a garage queen and like I mentioned earlier, it will get used.
What rotating assembly, fuel system, etc. would you guys recommend? How much do you think it will cost to have a long block built, or possibly just a short block?

I just had the transmission rebuilt by promotion, all new upper and lower control arms from steeda, koni sport yellow shocks and struts, and also had the reared rebuilt with moser 31 spline axles and 4.10 gears.
I try and hit the track a few times a year, and I have also been dyeing to get back on the road course.

Let me know what you guys would do if you were me.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Fill the block with a stock Cobra crank, some H-beams and forged pistons.
Maybe bump the compression up to 10-10.5:1 depending on what head you use, B or C head.
Also see that you are possibly thinking about a turbo kit down the road.

Main question is, how much power do you want to make now and how much with a turbo kit?

Many ways to go about it.

Check/consult with MPR Engines in Boynton Beach for a rough price...

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
All depends on power goals really. There's a lot of expense that will rack up when you shoot for big power so whatever your goals for the car are will determine what components you'll need for the engine, trans, fuel system, etc...

svtcobralover

Established Member
600rwhp is about where I want to be. All the Nickle and dime stuff I'm anticipating. I'm looking into Aeromotive's A1000 stealth tank kit.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Depending on the extent of work the block and heads need I would guess you'll be around 4-5 grand in parts and whatever labor comes to, 2-3k. I don't see why you couldn't get the engine work done and motor rebuilt with forged rods and pistons and supporting hardware for 6-8 grand. I am sure you can do it cheaper but that's the price I would count on paying to do it.

96dreamer

Established Member
I rebuilt mine about two years ago doing everything but the balancing and head milling myself and the total cam out to just over $4300, that is with essentially no machine work and subtracting parts sold. I was about as budget minded as you could be while still getting everything I wanted. I also did a c head swap but after selling stuff off the continental motor I got the heads from it ended up being nearly no more cost. If you are very budget minded I would keep an eye out for an 03/04 rotating assembly and grab some pistons on black friday.

This is nearly the full parts list I used, where I got the stuff from and what it cost at the time.
build list.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread