FAIL CA Smog Help

svtleen

Established Member
I put on my Factory H-Pipe with 4 good cats. I PASS 15 mph but FAIL 25 mph horribly!

smog.jpg

So I decided to get a re-tune and it still fail the same way. I am stuck as to why 15 mph pass with flying color and 25 mph FAILS horrendously?:??::??:
smog2.jpg

svtleen

Established Member
I have the following MODS:
1999 Cobra 4.6L

• Vortech V-2 SQ E-Trim Standard System Non-intercool Supercharger (blower complete kit newly installed)
• 90mm MAF
• 42 lbs injectors
• NEW NGK TR6 gapped at 0.035
• 03/04 Cobra Twin Fuel pumps
• 3.55 Gears
• 180 T-stat
• Magnaflow exhaust
• FACTORY H-PIPE
• Xcal3 conservative 91 octane tune for 8psi

I am confuse because I have guys telling me its the EGR, but why is 15 mph passing if the EGR is bad it should fail both. Also one of my buddy told me to try 'Blue Sky' fuel additive guarantee to pass emmission testing. I r lost.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I have the following MODS:
1999 Cobra 4.6L

• Vortech V-2 SQ E-Trim Standard System Non-intercool Supercharger
• 90mm MAF
• 42 lbs injectors
• NEW NGK TR6 gapped at 0.035
• 03/04 Cobra Twin Fuel pumps
• 3.55 Gears
• 180 T-stat
• Magnaflow exhaust
• FACTORY H-PIPE
• Xcal3 conservative tune for 8psi

I am confuse because I have guys telling me its the EGR, but why is 15 mph passing if the EGR is bad it should fail both.

ROFL Did you really expect to pass smog with a centrifugal blower setup?

Hi-Hat

Established Member
I dont see how the blower should have any effect on the actual readings. The only reason I could see him failing by the blower is to fail visual.

Do you have a custom tune? If so think about putting it back to the stock tune for the test? Also do you have fan speeds on at a lower temperature? I know it helps to get the motor as hot as safely possible to help the cats burn up as much crap as they can.

Good luck!

svtleen

Established Member
I dont see how the blower should have any effect on the actual readings. The only reason I could see him failing by the blower is to fail visual.

Do you have a custom tune? If so think about putting it back to the stock tune for the test? Also do you have fan speeds on at a lower temperature? I know it helps to get the motor as hot as safely possible to help the cats burn up as much crap as they can.

Good luck!

I try going back to STOCK tune but my Check Engine Light comes on and i used the Xcal to read and it says 'system too rich':??:. I clear it and go back to my custom tune. Because with a CEL smog test automatically fails.

svtleen

Established Member
I was evening thinking about asking the Smog tech not to stick the sniffer all the way into my tailpipe but let it hang toward the outside...would that help reduce my Nox level?

Hi-Hat

Established Member
I wonder if the blower running with the stock tune has something do to with that? I wouldnt know myself because my own car is N/A.

Maybe take off the blower and put a stock intake on? I'm sure you would like to find an easier way first though before pulling such drastic measures.

Hi-Hat

Established Member
I was evening thinking about asking the Smog tech not to stick the sniffer all the way into my tailpipe but let it hang toward the outside...would that help reduce my Nox level?

I think I've heard that if the sniffer reads too much oxygen it will automatically fail the test.

cobraracer46

Banned
The only reason I could see him failing by the blower is to fail visual.

Do you have a custom tune? If so think about putting it back to the stock tune for the test? A

Good luck!
:lol:

First off, the Vortech kit is 50 state legal and second of all, with a blower on the car, putting a stock calibration into the PCM is not a good idea.:bash:

I would definatly look at the EGR system as a first step in diagnosing the NOX failure.

Last edited:

elyrain

Established Member
Your problem is most FI tunes are rich to begin with. So unless you get a custom tune that is designed to pass smog you may just be running in circles. What you need in a non conservative tune, IE less fuel. When you say you got a retune does that mean you got another dyno tune or you just messed with your hand held?

Did you make sure you ran the car on the highway for a good 30-40 mins before the smog test to get the cats nice and hot?

svtleen

Established Member
Your problem is most FI tunes are rich to begin with. So unless you get a custom tune that is designed to pass smog you may just be running in circles. What you need in a non conservative tune, IE less fuel. When you say you got a retune does that mean you got another dyno tune or you just messed with your hand held?

Did you make sure you ran the car on the highway for a good 30-40 mins before the smog test to get the cats nice and hot?

I had a totally new Dyno Tune. I run the car for about 15 miles before the Smog, I'll probably try running the car for 50 miles next time when I go smog it.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I had a totally new Dyno Tune. I run the car for about 15 miles before the Smog, I'll probably try running the car for 50 miles next time when I go smog it.

it's not that. I drove for 15 min, let the car sit for 30 and got right on the dyno, had it smogged no problem. You positive your cats are good? I have the stock H out of my car you can use if you want.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
just found this....I don't think my Hpipe will help

"Answer
High Nox is from excessive combustion chamber temperature.

The EGR system intoduces exhaust gas into the engine to cool the burn. Exhaust while hot, is still way cooler than the combustion temp, so it dilutes it.

An EGR valve that is innoperable or clogged would cause high NOX

Vehicles with no egr use the air fuel sensor to input the ECU and richen the mix to cool it buy lenthening fuel injection duration.(the lenth of time the injector sprays in milliseconds)
In that case would be a bad a/f or 02 sensor.
Also a bad Thermostat or hot running engine can cause a rise in NOX

Mike"

Hi-Hat

Established Member
:lol:

First off, the Vortech kit is 50 state legal and second of all, with a blower on the car, putting a stock calibration into the PCM is not a good idea.:bash:

I would definatly look at the EGR system as a first step in diagnosing the NOX failure.

I understand that they are 50 state legal, but tell that to some of these smog techs that simply refuse to pass them out of paranoia.

Sure putting a stock tune with a blower is not a good idea if you plan on stepping on it, no shit. He's going put the calibration back to stock solely to get it smogged. :poke:

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
ROFL Did you really expect to pass smog with a centrifugal blower setup?

Why would a centrifugal blower not pass smog as opposed to any other? lol. I pass with flying colors on my everyday tune.

I try going back to STOCK tune but my Check Engine Light comes on and i used the Xcal to read and it says 'system too rich':??:. I clear it and go back to my custom tune. Because with a CEL smog test automatically fails.

Do not go back to the stock tune, that would be bad for emissions as well as the car.

just found this....I don't think my Hpipe will help

"Answer
High Nox is from excessive combustion chamber temperature.

The EGR system intoduces exhaust gas into the engine to cool the burn. Exhaust while hot, is still way cooler than the combustion temp, so it dilutes it.

An EGR valve that is innoperable or clogged would cause high NOX

Vehicles with no egr use the air fuel sensor to input the ECU and richen the mix to cool it buy lenthening fuel injection duration.(the lenth of time the injector sprays in milliseconds)
In that case would be a bad a/f or 02 sensor.
Also a bad Thermostat or hot running engine can cause a rise in NOX

Mike"

This is good info. Get your EGR & O2's checked out.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member

The visual and obviously the actual test determining whether or not it's running safely enough to allow on the streets. Pointless, but a problem, none the less.

The Vortech kit has a carb# and is 50 state legal as I am told.:??:

I've got multiple buddies that wouldn't pass the visual due to JLT RAI with Carb #'s so I can see how someone might be skeptical about passing an aftermarket blower setup even with a carb #.

I have the eaton and passed fine

I said centrifugal... :poke:

Stock Terminator's come with Eaton's so I don't see that being a problem.

Why would a centrifugal blower not pass smog as opposed to any other? lol. I pass with flying colors on my everyday tune.

Because every centrifugal blower is aftermarket. Anything aftermarket compromises your chances of passing smog due to the visual and the tune to run it safely on your vehicle. It's one or another really.

Users who are viewing this thread