Factory Tonneau Cleaning Results

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
My factory soft tonneau cover was getting pounded by dirt/grime/random nasty stuff. I washed it everytime I washed my truck and it never seemed to help and seemed to get worse by the day. So I went looking around and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0261160400&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=

Well it came in today and I just had to try it, freezing cold and all. The label says cleaning will be more difficult below 54* and the temps today def were. I done this using water hose pressure, thumb over end of hose technique , so if you done it at the carwash or something with actual pressure it may turn out even better for you. The label on the cleaner said to let it sit for 10-20 minutes in the heavy spots, I let it sit about 5 becuase the wind was blowing and it was starting to dry the cover. I used a firm brush to scrub it and it's unreal the brown stuff that came off of it. The protectant said to use above 40* and it was like 43* when I done it, barely made it. There are a few spots of dirt left on there but I'll clean it better if I get a random warm day and actually let it sit the full time. It brought off about 90% of the dirt and grime that was on it(even took off some tree sap), so I'm happy given the conditions. It's well worth the $34 to buy. :beer:

It was hard to take pics of but I did what I could to show the difference.

Before(I darkened the image in PS to help show how dirty it was):

After(cleaning & protectant applied):

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
looks like it worked great.

i never really had a problem with mine. if it was dirty, some simple green and a rag worked.

if it was dull and i was going to a meet/show id throw some armorall on it.

all tho if it rains, all that armorall drips down the sides of the bed, but it washes off

-Sean

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
I would say that method would of worked fine, I was always scared to clean it with a cleaner. I've got the worst luck ever so I figured I clean it with something and it would turn white or come apart. I figured buying something made just for tonneau covers was the way to go, who knows what's actually in the stuff(probably the same stuff as any other cleaners with a bigger price, lol)

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Yep, I was always skeptical of if those products would actually work. Let me say I wish I would of done this sooner, one coating of that protectant included with the kit has brought out a deep rich color that actually stays there. I figured by this morning it would be back to the dull gray color but I was wrong, looks new really. This kit should be included with the truck on purchase.:banana:

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread