Factory Fuel Pump/HAT modifications..

Badlilstang

Established Member
I realize the stock HAT is a lot of the problem and then the fuel lines etc. I have read a couple threads of guys saying they managed to get in a Walbro 465 in the factory hat and then drilling out the piece where the fuel line connects to improve flow and resolve lean conditions without having to do a complete fuel system right away. I know a true fuel system is always best but on a budget if simple pump and HAT mods can at least improve the factory setup I would be all for it (for now). I am about to put in a fresher pump to replace my weak one but if there are other options or modifications I can do I would like to know who has done it and how were the results?

stangn

Established Member
No help to you, but I'm interested as well.
Had the same thought as a temp crutch till I get the remainder of my system.

Badlilstang

Established Member
No help to you, but I'm interested as well.
Had the same thought as a temp crutch till I get the remainder of my system.

I have been brainstorming with a couple other guys.. there has to be something cheap that can be done to tip the scales more to the rich side.. I know drilling the HAT fuel connector is one that a few have used with good luck.

stangn

Established Member
I got a stock pump hat. I was able to take it apart, but I had to cut the convoluted hoses to pump and off a manifold. The pump hose is no big deal. The other one is 1/8 ID and might be trouble to replace.
With the high pressure and submerged in fuel you can't use any hose.

However the pump measures the same as a 485 TIA pump(aka 450). So that fits no worries. Problem is the small supply port through the hat, not sure it's big enough. The 485 pump is a turbine pump and might need a bigger fitting installed through the hat. Of coarse then you need to adapt that to the stock fuel line. This can be done but parts are gonna ad up.

So IDK if it's worth the trouble. Gonna see next week if I can get the small hose if not I'm not going any further.

Users who are viewing this thread