Factory CD player issue

nicksender

Established Member
Howdy,
My factory 6-disc CD changer won't let me load a CD and it will not display/eject the one CD I have loaded. When I press Load or Eject all I get is an "Initializing" message and than nothing. Any ideas on what this might be and how to fix it cheaply?
Thanks!

Wayne64SS

Established Member
yea, mines all ****ed up too. been like that since i got it. Replace with another stocker is prolly your cheapest bet, but what's the point, they suck anyway.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
ive heard you can disconnect the battery and itll reset it. not 100% sure how well it works i havent tried it

99NCLightning

Established Member
man they are a piece of shit, mine does the same thing took it apart one time started working again for like two or three months then went back to doing the same thing

Tabasco65

Established Member
The mechanism Ford uses in the in-dash six disc changers is garbage. I have replaced numerous factory units for this same exact problem. It's not just the ones in our cars, it's all the in-dash changers. Your cheapest bet is to go with a low end aftermarket. If you just have to have the changer, Pioneer made one that was a 6 disc CD/DVD changer with a 7-inch screen, but the mechanism was basically the same as the factory Ford.

nicksender

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's help. I will take a shot at unplugging the entire unit and firing it back up. The more I read across general Ford forums this is a re-occurring problem for these systems even in newer and different vehicles. If I can't get it back working I'm going to the aftermarket as I'm not interested in a replacement. Too bad the 03's don't have the adapter in the back for MP3 devices.

Maybe I'll put my 2.8" pulley paperweight on and I can listen to the increased volume from the Eaton!

nicksender

Established Member
Well, someone on another board suggested, uh, smacking the side of the console next to the CD player when it is initializing. I was skeptical, but didn't care if the CD player was toast anyway.

It worked by getting a little forceful with it and now it recognizes and plays my CD's. I guess I have to consider looking for an aftermarket replacement as the problem I had is supposed to be the prelude to it quitting for good.

Users who are viewing this thread