Factory 19x8.5 Prem wheels, choosing tires wider ?

rm2092

Established Member
I have the stk 19 Prem wheels on the car still, 19/ 8.5 rims.
Iike the wheels but I think they really need wider tires so looking for some recomendations also my friend says just put a wider tire on the rear ?
The current tires are 245-45-19. also this is what someone else had told me and would like to know if there is any truth to it ? I was thinking of going with a 255x40x19

The issue with those cars that come with the 245/45/19 tires is there aren't any wider tires in the same height, or at least very few, so putting another size on screws the speedometer up and the transmission if you have an automatic.

May not make a lot of difference, just something to be aware of also
The shift and converter lockup parameters will be off slightly.

Now, you could possibly have the dealer reflash the pcm with a oem tune compatible with the shorter tire, just another thing to pay for though.

Again thats what some one else had told me.

squeak93

Established Member
Procal will adjust tire height and rear gear ratio changes all while maintaining factory warranty

squeak93

Established Member
It is a ford racing tuner. Maintains factory warranty and makes the car wake up nicely.

saunupe1911

Established Member
Iike the wheels but I think they really need wider tires so looking for some recomendations also my friend says just put a wider tire on the rear ?
The current tires are 245-45-19. also this is what someone else had told me and would like to know if there is any truth to it ? I was thinking of going with a 255x40x19

The issue with those cars that come with the 245/45/19 tires is there aren't any wider tires in the same height, or at least very few, so putting another size on screws the speedometer up and the transmission if you have an automatic.

Now, you could possibly have the dealer reflash the pcm with a oem tune compatible with the shorter tire, just another thing to pay for though.

I know it effects the speedo, but will it really damage the transmission? I've never heard of this. What about people with offset, staggered wheels. There's no option for that on the ProCal. It only accepts one tire size

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member

255/40 seems ideal, but its not really much bigger. You may be able to get away with a 265/40 (27.4 tall) but its gonna have some bulge.

Your goals with the car are what is to be weighed, changing sizes is negligible with the speedo being off 1.5MPH with a 255/40.

No negative effects will be had concerning the transmission or converter with changing tire sizes especially with the stock tune.

If your still concerned get a summer tire in a 245/45 and ditch the all-season pirelli, although IMO the a/s pirelli doesn't do too bad. Myself am cutting consistent 1.9 60fts with em.

rm2092

Established Member
Are you happy with the minor tire size I know some will say its not much also can you post up a close up pic to see what they look like ? Thanks....

Users who are viewing this thread