Facebook going public?

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Hey guys,

I was reading up recently about the fact that Facebook will be going public. Being very interested in its potential I started researching. I'm getting mixed reviews about investing in it early on (or even at all).

I just wanted to see what some of you guys thought, particularly the members here that are into investing.

:beer:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Most of the drones (internationally) will be using it for many years to come; I see potential in it, though had they done this earlier they would've seen more investments.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
You have to think of it long term. I will pull some research from work and see what is said but I mean, they better have plans like Google and span out into all regions because there is also the next guy ready to knock you off and Google+ has slowly been creeping in there. Innovation is the only way they can survive and so far I've only seen them stay in the social media area. But then again, they may have big plans which is why they're releasing a IPO.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
My feeling is that it will take off in the first month but then drop down to it's initial offering price and maybe a tad lower before it climbs steadily. This theory has panned out for me more than a few times with IPOs like this. Or I'm gonna be wrong and miss the boat. The market is just gambling at the end of the day.

I will buy but not sure when.

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
The way facebook has been going lately I will not invest

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
I've been reading up on this since last year and have patiently been waiting. A friend of mine works at MS, the underwriters, and he says its crazy right now. I am on the fence with this. I mean once its available for the general public its gonna be a waste of money IMO. I will wait to see what the top dogs do with their shares. Here's to me wishing I had an account with one of the big IB to be able to get it.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
With the amount of buzz this is generating, FB's IPO is almost certainly going to be overvalued. FB better outline big plans for increasing Revenue & Profit streams in the offering document or I have no reason to believe the stock wont flop! Im sure some people will make money on the IPO, but I have a hard time believing that a website used largely for political propaganda, organizing civil disobedience and stalking ex girlfriends is a solid long term investment.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Does anyone know what the IPO price will be?
If it's affordable I may get some but if it's $450 a share I won't.

Last

Established Member
Does anyone know what the IPO price will be?
If it's affordable I may get some but if it's $450 a share I won't.

I am guessing the 250-300 range. I read somewhere that they are worth more than time.warner. I really think it will be way overvalued and will drop dramatically in the first 6 months.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
With the amount of buzz this is generating, FB's IPO is almost certainly going to be overvalued. FB better outline big plans for increasing Revenue & Profit streams in the offering document or I have no reason to believe the stock wont flop! Im sure some people will make money on the IPO, but I have a hard time believing that a website used largely for political propaganda, organizing civil disobedience and stalking ex girlfriends is a solid long term investment.

This.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Interesting, you guys have about the same line of thought I had. I figured that with too much buzz the IPO price would inflate. I think i'll buy in, but not at IPO, most likely a little later once it "settles".

The reason I think it'll be good for long term investment is because they have the potential to expand in the communication industry and revolutionize it. If they came up with something like "Face Chat" as an added feature and other similar offers I think they can expand pretty well. But, only time will tell that much.

Like WireEater said, they may have some big plans and that's the reason for the IPO.

Marc

Established Member
Well when Google came out, I think it was a $100 a share, look at it now. I almost bought some back then and now kick my ass for not doing so. I am really contemplating buying some FB shares. I heard that it is now valued at near $100 BILLION now.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Interesting, you guys have about the same line of thought I had. I figured that with too much buzz the IPO price would inflate. I think i'll buy in, but not at IPO, most likely a little later once it "settles".

The reason I think it'll be good for long term investment is because they have the potential to expand in the communication industry and revolutionize it. If they came up with something like "Face Chat" as an added feature and other similar offers I think they can expand pretty well. But, only time will tell that much.

Like WireEater said, they may have some big plans and that's the reason for the IPO.

Don't forget about My Space....if something better comes along people may bail on FaceBook just like what happened at MySpace...

I canceled my FaceBook.....1.) quasi gay to constantly post 2.) I do nothing productive on there 3.) Tired of reading about someone's kid's first poop and such....but I'm old

Only good thing about FaceBook, to me, is finding "lost" friends.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Don't forget about My Space....if something better comes along people may bail on FaceBook just like what happened at MySpace...

I canceled my FaceBook.....1.) quasi gay to constantly post 2.) I do nothing productive on there 3.) Tired of reading about someone's kid's first poop and such....but I'm old

Only good thing about Face Book, to me, is finding "lost" friends.

I agree that people jump ship pretty quickly, and Google+ has been sneaking in like mention above.

I don't use it either, my GF made my profile and I don't even pay attention to it, but I know they're profitable and I know it's a very highly valuated IPO ($75-$100billion). Although I'm sure that it's also inflated.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Super hype, super overvalued stock once the IPO. I think it will skyrocket off the boat, and then once people realize what they are paying for a company with one service offered, the stock will drop down to where it should be.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Lol @ Google+. They just had an article about it on msn and it said that just about every top guy at google doesnt even use it nearly as much as FB. Its only used by the fiercest of Google fanbois and Facebook haters, since, you know, its trendy to tell people you cancelled your FB page now.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
Lol @ Google+. They just had an article about it on msn and it said that just about every top guy at google doesnt even use it nearly as much as FB. Its only used by the fiercest of Google fanbois and Facebook haters, since, you know, its trendy to tell people you cancelled your FB page now.

This. Facebook is not myspace and that it will adapt with the changing times. Do I think its worth the 75-100 billion theyre valuating it at? No. On another forum Im part of I think I read that for them to be at that mark theyd have to be bringing in around 5 billion in profits on up.

Users who are viewing this thread