F150 coyote swap in a 93 hatch

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i've picked up a clean 2 owner calypso green black interior 4cylinder car that i'm looking to build into a nice street car. i am looking at the F150 engines because they are so much cheaper than the mustang ones. i can get a 7K mile one for $3400. the plan is to swap in mustang intake cams and i am considering the boss exhaust cams and springs since they are so cheap ($177 on \ebay right now.)

they say they need some clearancing to work with the heads but i cant find exactly what needs to be machined. i'm wondering if it is worth the effort to run these cams and the boss intake manifold and change the crank trigger for the power i will get out of it. not planning on making this a blower car in the future but i would like to make some good power with it.

i have a set of BBK headers, x pipe and T56 already waiting to go in. just need to decide on what i want to do with the engine while it is out

pwrshft99

Established Member
I'm looking into a F150 swap for my 99 GT. I can sell off most my blower parts and equal the cost of the motor initially. Check car-part.com, I've seen F150 motors under $2500 lately.

I can't bring myself to pay $700 for swap headers. I'd rather have some front facing manifolds fabbed up and run a turbo. With the F150s lower compression, a little boost would be a wonderful thing.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
found a few low mile ones for around 2500. thanks for the info. that is enough in savings for a cobra jet manifold

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
IMO keep the stock manifold(If it will fit) if not grab a stock 5.0 one and go FI.

You can go blower easy with the amount of the CJ intake, cams, throttle body etc.

Do the F-150's have the same heads as the mustang?

Last edited:

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
heads are the same.

the only differences are the intake manifold, intake cams and exhaust manifolds. i can add a Mustang intake and camshafts for under $400. since i have to pull the intake cam i was thinking about swapping the boss cams in since they are $177 and i will be just a few bolts away

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Intakes are the same, the only difference is the F150 intake doesn't have the gray runner cover where the engine cover snaps on to.

migg400

Established Member
I have an F150 Coyote with a Whipple that's going into my 67 Fastback. The major differences are the intake cams, black intake (same as the stang just black), compression & torque (similar to Boss 302), front faced oil cooler(Boss), oem headers are cast iron (like the GT500), lastly the F150 doesn't have the windage tray made into the oil pan gasket like the stang but can be easily swapped out. Everything else is up to the tune!! The F150's make awesome power...
IMAG1666_zps3ce07d41.jpg

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
^^ migg400 covered everything except that the front engine cover is also different! Should only matter depending on what brackets you plan on using (Such as the Power by the Hour pieces).

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
heads are the same.

the only differences are the intake manifold, intake cams and exhaust manifolds. i can add a Mustang intake and camshafts for under $400. since i have to pull the intake cam i was thinking about swapping the boss cams in since they are $177 and i will be just a few bolts away

heads are slightly different. valve angles are a little different

Last edited:

Fox4v

I'm doing a similar swap. I decided to use the boss rods and pistons too, although probably not needed. I'm doing the boss exhaust cams M-6550-M50BR and found some stock mustang GT intake cams. The boss springs and valves are going in also, but the valves aren't needed. The M-6550-M50GTE cams have been on sale and they don't need the springs or clearance ground because the lift is lower. These cams are being discontinued. Here's a link to someone's project in progress. This was helpful for me.

How to clearance stock Coyote 5.0 heads for Boss exhaust cams

Users who are viewing this thread