F/S: 96 Cobra, S/C, 651rwhp, $13k obo

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
badass car but for what the hell is the fluttering noise?? It doesn't sound to good whatever it is.. Is it the bypass or something.. It's a constant fluttering noise.. Just curious

SPoole

Established Member
Funny, it sounds like a combination between a fluttering BOV and a bypass valve. I had a big red bypass on my mustang that whistled all the time and a flutter valve on my Honda that made that sound on decell, kind of like the two combined.

corysmach1

Established Member
The "fluttering" noise that you constantly here is the Blow-Off-Valve. In the idling video you will notice an OBX racing b.o.v. making that noise whenever I give it throttle. It vents to the atmosphere rather than recirculating, which was all that I was concerned with at the time of purchase. I was trying to get the sound of the high horsepower turbo cars that you hear at the track. Clearly, I did not achieve that, but the noise did not bother me enough to replace it.
I have absolutely NO problem answering ANY question that ANY serious buyer has concerning this Cobra. As "blown vert" pointed out (because I volunteered that information to him when he was considering buying it), the car was involved in a slight accident by the original owner. The original owner chose to keep the insurance check and sell the car. I bought the car un-repaired. It had been hit on the front passenger side. The total repair bill was under $2700 (I do have the invoice for the repair) which included replacing the bumper cover (the bumper was fine, but has since been cut to make room for the front mount intercooler), replacing the headlights ( only one headlight was damaged, but I went with clears so I had to by two), replacing the passenger fender, prep and installing the Cervini Stalker hood and Saleen wing (I still have the undamaged factory hood), and repainting the rear bumper (the rear bumper was not damaged, but it looked like the original owner was spinning in gravel and paint flaked off underneath the bumper). I have the clear title in hand, and it was NEVER salvaged or rebuilt.
"Blown Vert" was trying to imply that I was trying to hide information about the car, which I am not. When he and I spoke, I disclosed everything I could think of about the condition and history of this Cobra (which is how he knew it was involved in an accident). With all the information that was exchanged, he STILL wanted to by this Cobra, but obviously we did not agree on the price. Thank You very much.

very well said....you seem like an honest guy. good luck with the sale.

HouseOfPower

I absolutely was not trying to imply you were hiding anything at all. It's just a very large piece of information that 100% of prospective buyers would want to know. It would detour me from buying it but it's a part of the car's history that needs to be disclosed in a for sale ad IMO

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Up for sale is a clean, low mile Cobra that not only sounds mean, but will back it up, so if you are tired of having your behinds handed to you by 4-banging rice burners, this is what you need. Nothing worse than having someone bragging about how they out ran you with half the cylinders.

A good number of parts are listed in my signature, which should give you a good idea of whats on the car. I am an old man (40) and also the 2nd owner. I have owned this Cobra for 5 years, and have personally spent waaay too much to get it to where it is now. This Cobra has 33k original miles and as it sit now is making 651rwhp and 524rwtq at 19 lbs. of boost on pump gas. Again, that is without the aid of race gas, nitrous oxide, or methanol injection.

The bottom end was built by Shankeinstein Racing ("They Build Monsters") and has about 5k miles on the build. The head work and tuning was performed by ModularPowerHouse. The car has not been gutted. It retains all the options that it had when it left the factory. The a/c is still intact, but it needs to be wired through the F.A.S.T. unit, because the a/c is normally ran through the stock computer and since the stock computer is no longer used...... Also the wipers are not currently working. They were not working when I bought the car and since I never drive it in the rain I never checked into it.

This Cobra has black leather interior which is in good condition. No rips or tears. Still has the factory cd/cassette player. No broken or missing knobs or buttons. It did have an 8 point roll cage, but has now been converted to a 4 point (or street cage). There is however 4 holes in the carpet from where the removed bars once came up through the carpet. They are currently hidden by the floor mats.

I have never taken the car to the track. I wanted a "dyno queen", but this Cobra does have a set of 305/35/18 Nitto Drag Radials on the rear. I do have the dyno sheet, and also the receipt for the motor work. Even if you do not buy this Cobra, here is a word of caution: If someone "claims" to have spent $15k+ on their car, they should have the receipt/invoice for it. Any reputable shop can easily get you a copy. Anyone who claims to have spent $15K+ on their car, then claim that it 'should' be making xxxrwhp, but does not have the sheet, are probably just pulling #'s out the air. If they can spend $15k+ for a build, what is another $75 for a dyno pull?

If you have any questions concerning this Cobra, it is BEST if you email me at [email protected] because I am not on this or any other forum too often. I will try to get some updated pictures of how the interior currently looks, without the door bars. Other than the removed bars, everything else looks the same. $13,000 o.b.o.

Probably the most true thing I have ever read in a F/S add. Or they are straight up lying about the work done to it..

GLWS!

red9450

Established Member
OP don't you think you should you mention the car has had body work?

I would think that proper etiquette would dictate that if you thought something like this should be disclosed by the OP, you send a pm, rather than blow up a F.S. ad, and if he doesn't correct it after, then maybe mention it, but what do I know? OP, GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread