F*#king IRS blew out tonight (pix)

dougwg

Established Member
GodStang said:
Holy crap dude stats on that brace/cover. how much does it weigh?

it weighs just 1lb more then a diff with a brace installed :)

and has a drain and it comes with a solid rear mount :)

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
i ordered one but it doesnt look like anything like that red one?? its just a brace w/o drain or a rear motor mount?? are these extra features , eitherway its a great product hope to install soon do i need anything else to install other than the brace??

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Any chance that if a diff brace was installed on a differential cover that has already bean beaten on, that it still has a chance of failing even with the brace?

dougwg

Established Member
Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Any chance that if a diff brace was installed on a differential cover that has already bean beaten on, that it still has a chance of failing even with the brace?

I guess :shrug:

03'Darin

Established Member
My brace just got here. Wooo Hooo! It's a shame it's going to be under the car where it won't be seen. The thing is beautiful looking!! :D I just got the spare IRS ready to go in the car yesterday and have the stock unit about half way out.

Darin

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
03'Darin said:
My brace just got here. Wooo Hooo! It's a shame it's going to be under the car where it won't be seen. The thing is beautiful looking!! :D I just got the spare IRS ready to go in the car yesterday and have the stock unit about half way out.

Darin

Darin,
Did you get all the bushings changed, how bad was it, did you use any special removal tools?

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Darin,
Did you get all the bushings changed, how bad was it, did you use any special removal tools?

damn thats a awesome set-up ya' got there, what et's do you pull?? just curious.

03'Darin

Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Darin,

I did. Just got them done Tuesday night. The lower control arm and the sub frame bushings are the hardest to get out. I used a press for the lower control arm bushings which made it easy once I found the right size sleeves. I tried several methods on the IRS sub frame bushing but ended up resorting back to the way I did them last time. Drilling holes through the rubber bushing around the entire thing, pushing the center out and then using a recipricating saw to cut the outer sleeve. Then with a chisel drove the outer sleeve out.

Darin

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
03'Darin said:
I did. Just got them done Tuesday night. The lower control arm and the sub frame bushings are the hardest to get out. I used a press for the lower control arm bushings which made it easy once I found the right size sleeves. I tried several methods on the IRS sub frame bushing but ended up resorting back to the way I did them last time. Drilling holes through the rubber bushing around the entire thing, pushing the center out and then using a recipricating saw to cut the outer sleeve. Then with a chisel drove the outer sleeve out.

Darin

Do you think the maximum motorsports removal tool would speed things up?

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
damn thats a awesome set-up ya' got there, what et's do you pull?? just curious.

I ran 11.71 on the motor and stock 3:55 gears, had a great pass going on the N2O set up, 1.59 60 foot, but broke,smoked the clutch and ran 11.40 @ 124. That was the end of last season, anxious to try again with the new 4:10
gears, racing wheels, bigger ET streets and a couple hundred pounds lighter. track opens March 18.

03'Darin

Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Do you think the maximum motorsports removal tool would speed things up?

It would. If you have access to a ball joint removal tool that would work just as well. Always better to borrow than buy if it's just a one time deal. :-D

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
03'Darin said:
It would. If you have access to a ball joint removal tool that would work just as well. Always better to borrow than buy if it's just a one time deal. :-D

Thanks, I wonder if JR has one of those.

gud2goe

Established Member
darin, you said you cut the outer sleeve while doing the irs bushings...i too used the drill idea of removal and then cleaned up the inner sleeve(few spots got hit with the drill bit,smoothed them the best i could), and to remove all excess rubber. when i installed my mm bushings i just froze them put some lube and tapped them in...i didnt cut any sleeves....what sleeves are you refering too? i noticed that there appears to be an inner sleeve but i didnt mess with that... :shrug:

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
The MM IRS bushings don't require the sleeve to be removed. I have those bushings in my stock IRS right now but I'm in the process of changing all of the rear end bushings to Delrin and aluminum. These bushings require the sleeves to be removed. Delrin is a much stiffer material than eurethane.

Darin

Users who are viewing this thread