F*ck traction control, A/C will kill ya!

StangD281

Established Member
I have always hated the T/C feature as it can basically "stall" the car for a second and allow you to be plowed by oncoming traffic.

Well today, it hit 90 degrees finally, so I used my A/C....nearly got killed in the same fashion as the T/C "stall". Pulling out in first, pushed clutch to shift to second, then Blaaaaaaaaaaa....no power, no pull, nada. I was like "F**********CK!" and floored it....took a second but the pig car finally picked up and went. Did this every single damn time going from first to second. Took a ton of throttle to move the bitch, so I sweat the entire trip home with the air off thanks to that.

I had flashbacks of the first T/C episode, and am wondering if this is a common freakin thing on this car? I never want to put the A/C on level 3 or 4 ever again after this....

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
I live in an "oven" here in south Texas, no issues with the A/C on full blast. In fact, I'm glad it works so well. This place would be unbearable without good A/C. Hope you find out what caused your problem.

StangD281

Established Member
It just seemed like the A/C compressor was putting so much drag on the engine, that it took so much throttle to get it out of first. I dunno, maybe I'm just not used to that yet since it was my first drive with A/C blasting. :shrug:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn.....id be pretty hot my self if this happened to me.

I dont think our cars are supposed to act this way with the A/C on at 1 or 3 or 4.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Took an aggressive drive down I-10E towards Riverside @ 11:00 AM PST this morning. 90°F+. Heck, it is still 83°F there @ 7:00 PM PST. A/C on 4 the entire way. Specifically to see how the '03 would respond. Aside from a rapidly diminishing supply of fuel, no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

New22003

Established Member
I hardly notice a drop in performance with my A/C on. If you are getting that much loss of performanc something else might be wrong?

SVT4ME

Established Member
Been using my AC for the last couple months here. It better work great or back to dealer for repairs

Sin

Established Member
I live in Dallas, Ft Worth. I still dont use the A/C when I drive it. I dont get what I want with it on it feels like its draggin.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by New22003
I hardly notice a drop in performance with my A/C on. If you are getting that much loss of performanc something else might be wrong?

Same here, have it checked out.

NVMYPWR

Established Member
I just experienced the SAME thing today for the first time. A/C was on as was T/C and as I'm leaving work, I'm approaching the intersection. The light is green for me but only for a couple more moments so I step on it. I'm in the intersection when I need to shift to second and blaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm thinking "SHIT!" as I finally get it moving. I could have easily have been plowed!

I hope that doesn't happen that often.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I have always hated the T/C feature as it can basically "stall" the car for a second and allow you to be plowed by oncoming traffic.

Well today, it hit 90 degrees finally, so I used my A/C....nearly got killed in the same fashion as the T/C "stall". Pulling out in first, pushed clutch to shift to second, then Blaaaaaaaaaaa....no power, no pull, nada. I was like "F**********CK!" and floored it....took a second but the pig car finally picked up and went. Did this every single damn time going from first to second. Took a ton of throttle to move the bitch, so I sweat the entire trip home with the air off thanks to that.

I had flashbacks of the first T/C episode, and am wondering if this is a common freakin thing on this car? I never want to put the A/C on level 3 or 4 ever again after this....

I'm in the same boat... Pulled out the other day, and almost got nailed by on-comming traffic. Also, left the AC on at the track last weekend (had it on in the staging lanes to cool down & forgot to turn it off). The lag the AC produces reminds me of when I had the Densencharder installed (appx. 1 second hesitation):mj:

03cobra#116

Established Member
I'm guessing something's broken on your car. A/C does give me problems, and it hit 90 here in Atlanta today.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I had a similar problem since it got warm out here in NY. Car stalled three times in under two minutes. Almost as if the computer wanted the car to stall because it was too much of a strain on the engine. Dealers checkin it out as I speak.

03DOHC

Established Member
Sounds like you freaked out your computer. Maybe it was trying to adjust to the A/C drag and since you said you never had it on, maybe it hasn't "learned" yet. I always drive with the A/C on in my car, but I noticed the computer has to re-adapt if I disconnect the battery cable. The idle is all over the place and the in-between shifts feel funky too. Give it a few drive cycles and she should get better.:thumbsup:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by stangfan
I'm in the same boat... Pulled out the other day, and almost got nailed by on-comming traffic. Also, left the AC on at the track last weekend (had it on in the staging lanes to cool down & forgot to turn it off). The lag the AC produces reminds me of when I had the Densencharder installed (appx. 1 second hesitation):mj:

I just bought a Denscharger CAI did i make a mistake ? the mag, shootout of CAI it did well. Tell me what you know?

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I can tell when the A/C is on, but is not noticably robbing me of power like the T/C does. Sounds like you may have a problem or the car still needs to learn to run with the A/C.

One benefit to having the A/C on is that the car seems to idle better. When I have A/C off, it bounces around a little bit between 750 and 650 RPMs or so. With the A/C on though the car holds steady at 750 RPM.

As a side note, have any of you heard a very faint whining noise when letting off the gas to shift gears only when you have the A/C on? The very faint whine decreases as RPM decreases. Is it the A/C compressor? I may be a dumbass but I hear this and just wondered what it was.

No, it's not the Eaton :D

Last edited:

New22003

Established Member
Do make sure Trac Control is off. Trac control gives me serious performance loss in my 03 and my wifes 00 gt.

Trac Control off ,A/C on almost no performance loss on either car.

I wish trac control was off by default, but who doesnt.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
with underdrives on my gt, id estimate id loose less then 3 tenths on a run. its almost impossible to tell the difference, the exhaust just sounds a little different. I liked my little miatas, the ac compressor freewheels if it detects WOT.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
also t/c is great in the rain, sucks when you forget to turn it off when some tool lines up at the light:bash: I think most people back off the throttle instinctively when it happens, just stay in it, its not as bad as seems. Try one time to accelerate agressively(not dump the clutch, but go where you know the wheels will spin)when its damp with it on, just dont back off, the car will still boogie out pretty well. Most times, im sure it kicks in and you lift off to amplify what it does. its not natural to stay on the gas when your engine starts making freaky noises. Ive left it on a few times when running it hard on dry pavement, if you just ignore it and stay on it youd be surprised. Next time i go to the track ill do an ac run and a t/c run for shits and giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread