F/A-18 Super Hornet Crashed Into Apartment Complex In VA Beach, VA

FordGTGuy

Established Member
original.jpg

A Navy F-18 fighter just went down between a Virginia Beach grade school and an animal rescue center—and the result is an enormous flaming heap of jet wreckage.

WAVY-TV reports "the Navy told WAVY.com the plane was an F18 Strike fighter squadron 106," and is clearly still ablaze from on the ground images. No word on whether any pilot was injured (or dead), but there are already reports of injured pedestrians. No word on what caused the plane, which costs tens of millions of dollars to go down, but it somehow managed to avoid hitting a minigolf course and water park, though nearby residences may not have been spared.

F-18 Crashes into Apartment Building and Explodes (Updating Live)

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
That's not altogether far from where I live. Further reports said the pilot(s) both 'chuted out ok, and miraculously, there are no reported deaths as of yet.

Which is a minor miracle, since it hit an apt building.

More reports said it was shortly after take off. Scary and tragic.

jrandy

Established Member
i have been following it on the news at work. hopefully the zero death count stays that way.

mysterio

Established Member
is that Birdneck area?

Yes, roughly between Birdneck and Laskin. Both roads closed off, as well as Interstate 264 in that vicinity.

Plane was from nearby Oceana NAS.

I've been hearing sirens most of the afternoon.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yes, roughly between Birdneck and Laskin. Both roads closed off, as well as Interstate 264 in that vicinity.

Plane was from nearby Oceana NAS.

I've been hearing sirens most of the afternoon.

i thought so!

i knowl the area well!...i spent 2 years at Dam Neck

ademily87

Established Member
My old navy buddy is a mechanic at that squadron. I'll see if I can get some details.

Nm. Wrong squadron.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
Local news WVEC TV 13 has reported that civilians saw the pilot land safely, and a civvy or two raced to get him out of harm's way. He was reported to be in shock, but is now reported to be in good condition at a local hospital.

I worked in a bank in that area, and the planes fly on a daily basis. It's amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, but this has been the first local accident of this magnitude since 1986. Credit the Navy and their training, as they're all about safety, and they even have mock drills for this very kind of accident.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My old navy buddy is a mechanic at that squadron. I'll see if I can get some details.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

all he is gonna know is that what ever tail number left controlled flight and was destroyed.

everyone that has touched that acft is gonna be pissin in cups here in an hour or two

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Damn!

Good to hear that the crew is doing well. I hope everyone else on the ground can be as fortunate.

shb5007

Established Member
There will certainly be deaths...it is pretty bad.

Interesting that the pilots ejected...to my knowledge they are not supposed to over residential areas...however they must have ejected right before impact because they were found within 1/2 mile of the crash.

mysterio

Established Member
Watching live coverage of it. 3+ hours later, they're still putting out fires. 3 buildings reported destroyed, 2 damaged. Police and rescue going door-to-door, in case anyone's trapped or worse.

So far, no deaths reported, which is incredible.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Sadly this is what happens when they start building houses around a Air Force base, Oceana has been under fire lately for air noise from the jets and I can't see this as helping the bases reputation. They are most likely not reporting deaths until the families are told first... very tragic accident.

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
Sadly this is what happens when they start building houses around a Air Force base, Oceana has been under fire lately for air noise from the jets and I can't see this as helping the bases reputation.

Yes, but I don't blame the Navy. The Navy has been very good about their due diligence, with studies and research, and have told the city of Va Beach NOT to continue building into 'encroachment zones' of the air station.

It's the damn idiot politicians and developers here that kept encroaching, somewhat ignoring the Navy's recommendations.

There are two nearby elementary schools to this crash site, Seatack and Birdneck Elementarys. It's a darn good thing today is the first day of spring break for most local schools. The horror could have been unimaginable.

sparkadellic

Established Member
Premium Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
This isn't too far from my house either. With 264 bein closed traffic is pretty bad around my neighborhood (Holland Rd). The news said that they turned slightly to the right and avoided a school, thank God. One of the civilians that helped one of the pilots after he landed said the first words out of the "shocked" pilot was "Sorry...Sorry I flew into your apartment". I don't know the reason why it crashed, but wonder if the cutbacks on personnel, money, and supplies has to do with it, if any. And yeah, that squadron is locked up right now, including all the records and logs.

sparkadellic

Established Member
Premium Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yes, but I don't blame the Navy. The Navy has been very good about their due diligence, with studies and research, and have told the city of Va Beach NOT to continue building into 'encroachment zones' of the air station.

It's the damn idiot politicians and developers here that kept encroaching, somewhat ignoring the Navy's recommendations.

There are two nearby elementary schools to this crash site, Seatack and Birdneck Elementarys. It's a darn good thing today is the first day of spring break for most local schools. The horror could have been unimaginable.

This!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
That was missile

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread