F-150 Ecoboost

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
So I'm contemplating a new F-150.

Any one have input on the new Ecoboost engines? I just assumed I would go for the 5.0, the more I read about the Ecoboost the more I'm intrigued.

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ff500

Established Member
I took both out for a test drive last week and really liked the eco boost but when I looked up reviews on the eco there were a lot of complaints and problems. Also for the $900 or so extra you pay it would take awhile to recoup the difference if it were just for the gas mileage. So now I'm thinking the 5.0 crew cab.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Meh, it is ok. I like the sound and there is really no fuss. But I have had the issue of going in to LIMP mode while merging into traffic (in front of a semi) and I still have the bucking problem from 50-60 MPH. I don't think you can't go wrong with either, but I wanted to try something new and with twin turbo!

I have the FX4 super crew with the hockey stick and black wheels!

dajohu

Established Member
I haven't had any issues at all in my eco that I bought in July 2012. I've got about 14k miles on it so far. I've seen some great mileage many times, better than any truck I've owned.

My only regret is when I put a stainless works exhaust and downpipes on it to try to get some decent sound out of it. It was a waste of a lot of money. It sounds great at idle, but sounds bad to me above about 1500 RPM's. I've been very tempted to put the stock muffler back on but have held myself back.

I love having both a twin turbo and a supercharged vehicle, and I love the power of the eco and easy tune-ablity to get more right away, but if sound really matters to you, I mean if it will bother you having a quiet/or car-ish sounding exhaust, then I would go for the 5.0.

AAG

Established Member
Nothing sounds better than a dual over head cam v8 and the 5.0 sounds amazing even in stock form. Yes the EB is more powerful, but it sounds like shit and I personally know I wouldnt be happy.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
drive them both, and then see what you like. owning an EB vehicle i can tell you its a blast to drive and gets great MPGs for a twin turbo V6.

Attaus

Established Member
The EB is a badass motor but yeah doesn't sound good.. maybe with some shiny new turbos that scream louder than the engine, but otherwise 5.0 will do ya.

Tmatt142

Established Member
I've got the 5.0 in my F-150 work truck. Personally, I really like it. Not the greatest as far as pep, but it's a work truck!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I like my AED tuned ecoboost Fx4.

Big, comfortable, easy to drive, decently quick for a huge 4 door truck, pulled my mustang with a huge trailer up mountains no problem. The sound the baby turbo's make while spooling is pretty nice as well, especially if you have an offroad midpipe. I get ~16-18 mpg city. Only reason I didn't get a raptor was because of the ecoboost motor and I got like $10k off the invoice price of this truck.

Livernois Catless Downpipe Ecoboost F150 - YouTube

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Love mine.. I drove the 5.0 version... If my eco turns out to be a steamer, ill get a cummins dodge before a 5.0 truck. IMO

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do you have any plans to mod or just staying stock?

from what Ive seen on the whole, its not worth buying the ecoboost for the mileage, as mentioned its a more expensive option and it seems theres no big MPG difference.

ecoboost issues - the people with the shudder issue really seem to have a problem as they havent successfully nailed down the root cause yet but if you look at how many exoboost motors have been sold vs the complaints Id put money that its a small %. I live in muggy ass FL and have driven from here to NC in the rain on cruise control most of the way and never had a problem putting the pedal down, Ive got just over 20k on my 2012

I chose the ecoboost bc this is my DD that Im not doing any performance mods, the low end punch of the ecoboost sold me over the 5.0. I dont care about the noise bc I dont wanna mod the exhaust and such anyway.

depending on how the truck holds up during the warranty period I very well may put a tuner on it, 50-60hp and 100ft lbs with just a reflash is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I'd go 5.0 as i have test driven both and have friends with both options. Even most of the truck mags, while loving the ecoboost power noted the 5.0 had way more than enough pep at 360hp and it also go better mileage towing and unloaded. It scares me to see how a truck with such a high tow rating that everyone seems to brag about but put 10k behind it and you enjoy 7-9 mpg and quickly realize why a half ton shouldn't be towing 10k (which iirc isnt near the max tow rating). The friend with the FX4 with Eco said on the interstate with 3.55s he gets around 17-18mpg @ 75 in a bone stock 2012.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
do you have any plans to mod or just staying stock?

from what Ive seen on the whole, its not worth buying the ecoboost for the mileage, as mentioned its a more expensive option and it seems theres no big MPG difference.

ecoboost issues - the people with the shudder issue really seem to have a problem as they havent successfully nailed down the root cause yet but if you look at how many exoboost motors have been sold vs the complaints Id put money that its a small %. I live in muggy ass FL and have driven from here to NC in the rain on cruise control most of the way and never had a problem putting the pedal down, Ive got just over 20k on my 2012

I chose the ecoboost bc this is my DD that Im not doing any performance mods, the low end punch of the ecoboost sold me over the 5.0. I dont care about the noise bc I dont wanna mod the exhaust and such anyway.

depending on how the truck holds up during the warranty period I very well may put a tuner on it, 50-60hp and 100ft lbs with just a reflash is pretty sweet.

The shudder issue is the reason i am not modding. I'd hate for this thing to take a dump and the warranty be denied because of it. I know some guys around here that has actually drilled a small weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler to drain moisture.. Don't know about that yet.

Last edited:

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
I don't plan on modding it.

I appreciate the feedback.

I don't know if the sound of the EB will turn me off until a test drive I guess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
I don't plan on modding it.

I appreciate the feedback.

I don't know if the sound of the EB will turn me off until a test drive I guess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Lol, i have a turbo buick, so i was used to the sound!:rockon:

RSH427R

Established Member
My mileage sucks, 14.9 average. Plenty of power though. I've experienced the stall issue Ford is having with them. I also get a chemical smell through the AC, which is related to the stall issue. Ford has no fix for either, I'm told. I'd buy the 6.2. You'd probably get the same or better mileage.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Mines an fx2 with 20" wheels and 3.73s. If I put around town I get 16, beating on it some its closer to 15. On the highway with cruise control at 79 I get 20-20.5 going by the dash and that's all on 87

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
i was just shopping CPO 2011's and ended up with the 5.0 4x4 SCAB, couldnt be happier. Love the sound and grunt of the 5.0. The fuel economy has been the biggest surprise so far.

My pops got a 2013 King Ranch EB 4x4 supercrew and loves it too, oddly enough he is getting terrible fuel economy and he doesnt drive like a putz. Consensus on the truck forums is dont get the EB for mileage, they just arent getting the mileage advertised. Get the EB for regular moderate to heavy towing and pray you dont get the CAC/limp engine issues. The 5.0 gets the nod for better everyday driver but can still tow great, just not as great as the EB with its down low torque to get those trailers moving.

both are great engines and have their advantages over the other. personally, i am keeping my truck a long time, I felt better about an n/a v8 for that purpose. If i was a guy that got a new truck every 75k, id get an EB to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member
So I'm contemplating a new F-150.

Any one have input on the new Ecoboost engines? I just assumed I would go for the 5.0, the more I read about the Ecoboost the more I'm intrigued.

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Can't go wrong either way, but I would lean toward the 5.0 on the truck. Similar power and less moving parts than the EB. My EB Explorer is a blast to drive, and feels better than most V8s pulling 3-4k lbs, so you really can't go wrong either way.

I hear on the 5.0s are knocking down Z06s like flies over on the kill thread. That may be the tie-breaker..... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread