Extreme Duty Radiator & Heat Exchanger?

efurlong

Established Member
Hello all - Been thinking about installing a Shelby extreme duty radiator (live in FL). That said - I've been looking at the Shelby extreme duty heat exchanger or the Shelby competition heat exchanger as well. Is the heat exchanger a worthwhile modification for a street driven vehicle? If so...anyone here use the Shelby extreme duty or Shelby competition heat exchangers? My GT500 is a 2013 with basic mods 681 / 704 at wheels.

Last edited:

efurlong

Established Member
My GT500 currently in storage. I don't recall...do our stock heat exchangers have a fan or fans? The Shelby units do have fans.

railroad

Established Member
I put the triple pass HE on my 13 GT500. Not worth the trouble and mods for a street car. Once the car gets moving from a red light, things cool down quickly.
Even for dedicated drag racing, I would consider an external fan for cooling between runs.
The 13 stock HE is a well made piece.
No issues with the stock radiator.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello all - Been thinking about installing a Shelby extreme duty radiator (live in FL). That said - I've been looking at the Shelby extreme duty heat exchanger or the Shelby competition heat exchanger as well. Is the heat exchanger a worthwhile modification for a street driven vehicle? If so...anyone here use the Shelby extreme duty or Shelby competition heat exchangers? My GT500 is a 2013 with basic mods 681 / 704 at wheels.

I'm in Ga, your in Florida, so I understand the heat thing. My car pretty much stays parked June-August. I hate miserable weather and not being able to cruise with windows down.

Luke warm topic of debate over the years. I do think A LOT of the marketing pitch on needing fans on a street car, is hype after several years of digesting it.

For a street car, Van will tell you the Extreme H/E ($860) is more than enough.
So that is probably what I will go with. I do a lot of car shows an the brite work of that H/E looks better than the black OEM with all the bugs stuck between the fins.
@Vinnie_B which H/E do you have?

Department of Boost has a lot of very good analytical data on this as well. I woudn't hesitate to buy a unit from them if my my car needs were different.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I have both on my GT350. Once a year we go to Vegas and it can get hot on those Mexican HWYs on the way there. It was 110* last year and we were doing more than that in MPH. Shelby was discontinuing them recently so I picked up a spare of each.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in Ga, your in Florida, so I understand the heat thing. My car pretty much stays parked June-August. I hate miserable weather and not being able to cruise with windows down.

Luke warm topic of debate over the years. I do think A LOT of the marketing pitch on needing fans on a street car, is hype after several years of digesting it.

For a street car, Van will tell you the Extreme H/E ($860) is more than enough.
So that is probably what I will go with. I do a lot of car shows an the brite work of that H/E looks better than the black OEM with all the bugs stuck between the fins.
@Vinnie_B which H/E do you have?

Department of Boost has a lot of very good analytical data on this as well. I woudn't hesitate to buy a unit from them if my my car needs were different.
The SS come with the.....

I have nothing but good things to say and my experiences with them have been very positive even in 100 deg F humid weather. No issues ever. I would recommend to those who enjoy spirited street performance. If I was drag racing D.O.B all the way!!

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
You definitely want an upgraded HE. Unless you’re against spending more time in the whine zone ;). Heat stroke isn’t just for people, carz are at risk!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
With mods and more boost from the stock blower the HE upgrade is definitely worthwhile.
If you want a full package at same time then Shelby package (try C&R if you’re looking to potentially save a few bucks but you’ll lose the Shelby badging).
If the car is a keeper and you’ll be adding more power and/or staying in a warm environment I’d do both.
-J

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Comparing "apples-to-oranges" here:

2012 5.4L
Stock tune
Stock internals

I went with these parts to combat my engine heat especially when I cruise around in "the heat & tropics" with my GT500.

Reische Performance 170F thermostat
Roush Performance "Oversize" heat-exchanger fill tank
[discontinued?]
Ford Performance 13/14 OE fan assembly
Shelby Performance GT500 Extreme Radiator
AFCO 2-Pass lower heat exchanger
W/O fans
Davie Craig OE style increase-flow circulating pump [07-12 type/discontinued]

But I jumped on the Shelby Performance extreme radiator since the Shelby-Store had a black-friday/cyber-monday 20% off but was priced at $849
Ironically enough, I was at the FAB-Shop/Retail-Store/museum-display facility and was hoping to walk out of there with the radiator & Kicker-amp in-hand.

Had to still order the Shelby parts online though...

To me, my GT500 is running like a champ with all the parts installed...
and when I pop the hood open, I don't get blasted with "oven-heat" like before...

........................................................................................................................................................

Forgot to mention-

It arrived in a "C & R" Box from Indiana...

Probably the same as this one-

PWR Shelby GT500 07-14 Extruded Tube Radiator

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Numbers don't lie peeps. Hoovering around 100 deg this day on a 48 minute cruise. The data log displayed is the whole 48 min cruise. SAI has some of the best cooling radiators/heat exchangers on the market for our street driven shelbys.

20230227_181653.jpg
20230227_181743.jpg

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
C&R makes killer cooling products and has supplied NASCAR for years.
I ran a custom C&R radiator on my turbo Fox LX and made a huge difference. I’ll always start with C&R when possible. SAI chose them for a reason.
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Shelby/C&R Radiator is piece of art. I bought a Shelby Radiator because they were on sale.

For the heat exchanger, go Department of Boost all day. Upgrade the coolant lines, intercooler pump and your engine will run colder than a woman’s heart.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I posted this a few years ago. It was essentially a low buck deep dive into what I could do with the stock intercooler system. The 13-14 system is pretty identical to the earlier cars with a bigger pump, heat exchanger and intercooler. I used the 13-14 GT500 pump and intercooler as well.

While it helped some, I'm convinced the piping throughout the system needs to be stepped up to 1" - 1.25" and the intercooler needs to have the flow mod done to it, or replaced with one that has larger transfer tubes in the manifold. Having a mac daddy pump like the Stewart EMP to move the coolant along is equally important. Many of the larger pumps choke on internal restrictions. Only then can you really take advantage of one of these large heat exchangers.

Something like DoB's super single is probably good enough if you're not going to do all these upgrades on increasing the size of the piping. But overkill here doesn't hurt anything either.

What's interesting is Ford is using the same sized transfer tubes in the 20+ and it's way more adequate in the later configuration where the post CAC plenum is on top of the engine, instead of sandwiched between the cylinder banks. The 07-14 configuration is much more aesthetically pleasing, but there is a lot of efficiency in that inverted design used in most aftermarket coyote configurations.

I've got C&R's big radiator in my car too and it's been a solid piece for at least 8 years.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's definitely bigger, but it's so thick it doesn't dissipate heat as well as some of the aftermarket counterparts of similar size. But, it would be an upgrade over the earlier HE. It's not exactly a bolt in, but many of the aftermarket HE are configured similarly as well. It's easily remedied and VMP had a relocation bracket at one time for the pump.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I speak of the intercooler (in the valley). I've gathered a 13-14 intercooler on the understanding that is an upgrade over the 07-12.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My bad. The intercooler was touted by Ford Racing to have a higher airflow rate than the 07-12 model. I seem to recall something like 12%, but I'm fuzzy on that. It increases airflow at the sake of some fin count, so you may sacrifice some cooling over air flow. If you're buying new, you might look at the one VMP is selling. It has the larger 1" tubes. Just the flow mod will run you ~$650 on top of the intercooler. On a stock street engine, I don't know that the air flow alone is worth the cost. Big boost, big cams, it probably will, but the manifold needs some port work to really make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread