Extra Clutches in the trac loc

vtecthis349pony

IRS Assassin
Established Member
Can some one send me a like to show me the order so i can get one more clutch on each side? About to rebuild mine.... :(

fastback brian

Established Member
There is no room to re stack and add an extra clutch in the newer style ford 31 spline posi correctly. best thing to do is just rebuild with standard frictions and shim the side gears tight. Ford clutch kits come with shims and usually a .035 works pretty good, sometimes you can get a .040 in there but you need to check to see if the axles will slide all the way in.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Instead if using the standard stacking order use one less steel and add one more clutch.
Then alternate the order. Instead of friction-steel-steel-friction do friction-steel-friction steel.
This does work. I did it to mine.
Here are more details.

Reinstall the clutches and steels in the proper order, using a shim at least as thick as the ones you removed. You want to use the thickest shim you can while still being able to get the spider gears back in. Forget about using the set-up tool and all the special measurements, if you can get the spider gears back in you're all set. Note: Each clutch pack is made up of a series of Frictions and Steels and in the factory order they go F-S-S-F-S-S-F. However, if you re-use the best two of your old Frictions in place of one of the new Steels you can re-stack them in an order that makes the diff lock better, which is F-S-F-S-F-S-F, which is the same number of total elements. You may have to trial assemble it a couple times to get the right shim so it's just loose enough to get back together, barely.

fastback brian

Established Member
if you want good life from the posi you dont put a friction next to the gear or the case without a steel shim. ford stacking order is and has always been, from the gear, steel- friction-steel-steel-friction-steel-friction-shim. any restacking puts a friction next to the gear or case and no room for a shim and no room for the axle cir-clip. If there were thinner steel plate it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread