Extended wheel studs? (335's, 3/8 spacer, 10.5 rim)

NJredfire03

Established Member
I used my oem lug nuts. cut the end off to make them open ended. Used as many as I needed cause they were getting all messed up from using them in to drive the studs in. I also used washers and an impact gun. Never froze the studs or drilled out the hub. I put the Moroso 46180 studs in no problem. Maybe i was lucky for once while working on my car.

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
I used my oem lug nuts. cut the end off to make them open ended. Used as many as I needed cause they were getting all messed up from using them in to drive the studs in. I also used washers and an impact gun. Never froze the studs or drilled out the hub. I put the Moroso 46180 studs in no problem. Maybe i was lucky for once while working on my car.

Thats the same thing I am doing with the same exact studs. At first I was an idiot and used a closed end lug nut :bash:. Then I used a couple open ended with the impact gun and got it going finally. Its just tough because you have to stop in time before you spin the stud if you keep going to far but sometimes they can get hung up and wont sink all the way in. I got one side done tonight and retired for the evening. I will re attack tomorrow AM and hopefully ill finish up a little smoother then I started. Ive gone through about 6 lug nuts so far. I dont understand why I keep destroying them. You said you did the same....I guess there cheesy gorilla nuts.:shrug:

NJredfire03

Established Member
Thats the same thing I am doing with the same exact studs. At first I was an idiot and used a closed end lug nut :bash:. Then I used a couple open ended with the impact gun and got it going finally. Its just tough because you have to stop in time before you spin the stud if you keep going to far but sometimes they can get hung up and wont sink all the way in. I got one side done tonight and retired for the evening. I will re attack tomorrow AM and hopefully ill finish up a little smoother then I started. Ive gone through about 6 lug nuts so far. I dont understand why I keep destroying them. You said you did the same....I guess there cheesy gorilla nuts.:shrug:

Right on man, the heat and the stress you're putting on the threads of the lug nuts is quite a bit. Gotta use a lubricant like white lithium or cutting oil to try to keep the heat down. Keep at it and you'll get it. My friend showed me a little technique. when youre going in with the gun keep the lug nut like half inch away from the washers. and hit the gun trigger fully and really "drive" the lug nut in for a few seconds and back it back out to re-do it again. That also allows for heat to dissipate. Try that out tomorrow, it works better.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Impact with a bunch of 1/2 inch washers, alot of grease between the washers and they go right in. I cut them down to size with a bandsaw, yea its was a bitch. even dulled a new blade. Arp's are no joke.
Measured first, ordered the longest 1/2 inch gorilla lugs nuts they have. Used my old AFS lugs to straighten out the arp threads after the band saw. Didnt want the studs sticking out.

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
Got them all in, passenger side went fine. Drivers side all went in. Put the wheels on, went down the road and the drivers side rear wheel is slightly wobbling. I dont get why or how, Its in the garage for now. Ill figure it out after this snow. Its never ending.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Got them all in, passenger side went fine. Drivers side all went in. Put the wheels on, went down the road and the drivers side rear wheel is slightly wobbling. I dont get why or how, Its in the garage for now. Ill figure it out after this snow. Its never ending.

if the spacer went on no problem as well as the wheel, then maybe the hub got knocked around too much? not sure about that at all. Maybe with the spacer the balance got thrown off? I'm not posative about any of this just throwing things out there.

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
if the spacer went on no problem as well as the wheel, then maybe the hub got knocked around too much? not sure about that at all. Maybe with the spacer the balance got thrown off? I'm not posative about any of this just throwing things out there.

Yea maybe the spacer is not sitting on there correctly. Which I dont understand how it could be the case with the lugs all tightened with the wheel on. If thet spacer was on there incorrect, when you put the wheel on it would straighten it out. Who knows. This blows.

BTW its not a wobble at 85MPH, just rolling down the driveway I can see a wobble in the wheel rolling.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Yea maybe the spacer is not sitting on there correctly. Which I dont understand how it could be the case with the lugs all tightened with the wheel on. If thet spacer was on there incorrect, when you put the wheel on it would straighten it out. Who knows. This blows.

BTW its not a wobble at 85MPH, just rolling down the driveway I can see a wobble in the wheel rolling.

wow ok, yeah something isn't straight. I would think the same about the wheel making the spacer flush against the rotor. but you never know. I know my spacers after being on for a while had some rust build up that I cleaned off. check for any crud build up on the hub between the hub and rotor. Get both rear wheels off the ground on jack stands and spin the wheels by hand to see if you can feel/see where the wobble is coming from. It could be as simple as loose lugnuts. Snow storm means a lot of time at home, try to get it figured out man. good luck. let us know if you find anything.

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
wow ok, yeah something isn't straight. I would think the same about the wheel making the spacer flush against the rotor. but you never know. I know my spacers after being on for a while had some rust build up that I cleaned off. check for any crud build up on the hub between the hub and rotor. Get both rear wheels off the ground on jack stands and spin the wheels by hand to see if you can feel/see where the wobble is coming from. It could be as simple as loose lugnuts. Snow storm means a lot of time at home, try to get it figured out man. good luck. let us know if you find anything.

Thanks for the help. My shop is a mile from the garage, my garage is stuffed with cars and toys, nothing coming out of there for weeks lol.

I just hope I didnt bend the hub. That would not be cool.
I would have just pulled the hub assembly and had the studs pressed the right way If i ever knew it was going to be this difficult.

Crusher9008

Established Member
Here is a picture without the wheel:

8192655186_96e9b72eaa_c.jpg

I struggled with removing my stock studs until I bought a large ball joint press and modified it to fit on the backside of the hub. With this tool and a cordless impact driver, it took like 10 seconds to pop each stud out.

8191568257_effea84380_c.jpg

8191567997_45bcc4c28e_c.jpg

I used a wheel stud installer kit (Kaster 938) and the cordless impact driver to install the ARP wheel studs. With this install kit, it also took like 10 seconds to install each stud. I did freeze the studs overnight but no drilling is required.

You are more than welcome to borrow my removal and install tools when you are ready to install your extended studs.

You probably haven't seen my car out because I rarely drive it. I made it to the Colt State Park Cruise last year. Were you there? If not, check it out next year, it is a good time.

What rotors are those?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
Getting them out was a breeze with one wack with a 5lb sledge. I got them all in i just have a wobble in one wheel

SVT_Troy

Established Member
You slammed them out with a sledge hammer?!?!? Would imagine you ruined the hub!

Nope, as long as you do one good even wack it will be ok. I've done several the same way without issue. Regardless of the method taken, removing/installing studs will wear out the hub. There's only so many times you can replace a stub before the hole gets too big. Solution would be to just install a stud with a larger knurl

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Just a thought, but are your spacers hubcentric? If not that could be the issue, maybe your wheel isn't centered on the hub. Just a thought, good luck bro.

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
Just a thought, but are your spacers hubcentric? If not that could be the issue, maybe your wheel isn't centered on the hub. Just a thought, good luck bro.

Of course they are. I would not but the generic junk that makes your car guranteed to wobble on the highway

ripnesscobra

Established Member
OP, sorry to hear about the issues you had during the removal/install and with your wheel wobbling.

I wish you would have borrowed my tools! They may have prevented some of the issues.

Are you sure that your spacers are hubcentric and that all of your lug nuts seated properly in the wheels while tightening them down?

Good luck!

chillicobra

Established Member
Here is a picture without the wheel:

8192655186_96e9b72eaa_c.jpg

I struggled with removing my stock studs until I bought a large ball joint press and modified it to fit on the backside of the hub. With this tool and a cordless impact driver, it took like 10 seconds to pop each stud out.

8191568257_effea84380_c.jpg

8191567997_45bcc4c28e_c.jpg

I used a wheel stud installer kit (Kaster 938) and the cordless impact driver to install the ARP wheel studs. With this install kit, it also took like 10 seconds to install each stud. I did freeze the studs overnight but no drilling is required.

You are more than welcome to borrow my removal and install tools when you are ready to install your extended studs.

You probably haven't seen my car out because I rarely drive it. I made it to the Colt State Park Cruise last year. Were you there? If not, check it out next year, it is a good time.

what rotors are those ?

Users who are viewing this thread