Extended Warranty for GT350

Lemers

Established Member
I wanted to start a discussion on the benefits and disadvantages of getting the extended warranty for the GT350.

I have always been one the decline the extended warranty on new cars, because coverage was never worth the expense. They would give you very low miles compared to extra months or not cover the parts that would likely wear out over that time.

Now that I'm considering the GT350 I know that I will be making payments for a longer time then I have in the past and I will be keeping the car for much longer than the standard warranty. So I've been thinking about the extended warranty.

The only one I would buy would be the Ford Factory extended warranty. Most likely for 7 years and 125,000 miles. Now for the miles that puts it at 15,000 miles a year which is good for me as a daily driver to work.

Where I'm not sure is the services worth it or do most people find that typical car problems aren't covered by this warranty? Does ford even offer it on special edition cars like the GT350?

What are your thoughts?

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
If you're keeping the car mostly stock, why not? Never know if that $20,000 engine might explode one day.

Voltwings

Established Member
You'll need to check the fine print. I know Nissan has a GPS or some shit on the GT-R, and if you visit a road course, or use the launch control, or something like that, the warranty is void. I read that article a very long time ago, so i may be butchering the facts, but point being, if you plan on actually driving this car, make sure that is covered.

Lemers

Established Member
You'll need to check the fine print. I know Nissan has a GPS or some shit on the GT-R, and if you visit a road course, or use the launch control, or something like that, the warranty is void. I read that article a very long time ago, so i may be butchering the facts, but point being, if you plan on actually driving this car, make sure that is covered.

I've heard those stories about the GT-R too and hope that those are just stories. I would think that Nissan would have to prove that the track caused the damage even though most warrants exclude track damage. Warranty don't cover damage caused by mods and track use, usually requires some mods.

With the launch control; Nissan would just have been admitting that the GT-R was fragile. And it was provided by Nissan on the car. Hard for them not to warranty it. It like selling a car then saying that using its features voids the warranty. That's bad business.

I would have hoped that GTR owners would have sued over those warranty issues if true.

When I get one, I plan on keeping mine in-modded for as long as I can. I feel an extended warranty would keep me from modding, but what I would like to know is...

Are ford extended warrantys worth the money? Or do owners with extended warrantys find that most repairs don't come under the warranty. I would hate to buy one then find out that nothing seems to be covered.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Thats a bullshit with the GTR....GPS and road course.....thats funny!
It has a black box that Nissan can use to determine temperatures of various parts in the drivetrain.
As for Launch control, you are limited to 5 uses, then the car disables it until you drive 1.5 miles, the system is active again.
I love the launch control feature! Its smart, and well designed.
The stories about GTR's are comical! They did have issues in the beginning R35.

TaraFirma

Established Member
Directly from the 2009 GT-R Owners Manual

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Please read this OM carefully, together with your
Warranty Information Booklet which describes a
number of express limitations and exclusions for
failure to follow the instructions contained in this
OM, including, but not limited to:
. Failure to use proper parts, fuel and fluids,
. Driving with the VDC off,
. Racing,
. Modifications, including reprogramming or
replacing/adding chips in any on-board
computer,
. Failure to have required Performance Optimization
Services performed.

hognutz

Established Member
I usually decline warranties.

1. the cost
2. the actual work a dealership does
3. if they were not a money maker they would not sell them.

I hate the quality of work a dealership does. I do better work myself than any dealership I have used to date.

the one variable on the ford special edition products is the cost of the engine parts. on the standard 5.0 stuff it is not to bad to fix but on the trinity with spray bore liners and such it can add up in part cost if you repair it back to stock even if you do the work yourself. I have a feeling this 5.2L could be same way.

I can see the argument for it until the longevity of the motor is known commodity. I probably won't but I can see why a person who will not mod the car could make that call on this car.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
If you study the bell curve of failures you will find that extended warranties cover the lowest chance of something actually happening. Most of your failures happen in infancy(manufacture defects, incorrect assembly etc) then again as parts get to the end of their service life. So the normal warranty covers the infancy failures. Then low chance of failure statistically speaking are covered by extended warranty. Then when the failure rate becomes much more common is the same time the extended warranty runs out. So you are basically taking the gamble that you are going to be one of the VERY few that actually experience a failure on something the warranty actually covers(it's not all inclusive).

Once you factor in the kickback they give dealers, pay for their operating expenses and have some profit margin you really start to figure out how unlikely a failure is to happen.

Since you are financing it gets even more expensive. Take the money you were going to spend and put it into a rainy day fund in case something happens you're prepared. If/when it doesn't happen you still have the money.

Lemers

Established Member
Directly from the 2009 GT-R Owners Manual

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Please read this OM carefully, together with your
Warranty Information Booklet which describes a
number of express limitations and exclusions for
failure to follow the instructions contained in this
OM, including, but not limited to:
. Failure to use proper parts, fuel and fluids,
. Driving with the VDC off,
. Racing,
. Modifications, including reprogramming or
replacing/adding chips in any on-board
computer,
. Failure to have required Performance Optimization
Services performed.

That didn't work out well for Nissan for the 2009s

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

TaraFirma

Established Member
I know. I was just showing hat it wasn't a comical story. They have since made huge improvements to the drivetrain, and the limitation is no longer there.
Anyway, back on subject. I dont think an extended warranty on the GT350 would be a wise purchase if you ever plan to mod the car in any way. With the cost of warranty work probably being undoubtedly high on this engine and drivetrain, Ford will most likely try to find any reason to deny/void any warranty claim.

Lemers

Established Member
I know. I was just showing hat it wasn't a comical story. They have since made huge improvements to the drivetrain, and the limitation is no longer there.
Anyway, back on subject. I dont think an extended warranty on the GT350 would be a wise purchase if you ever plan to mod the car in any way. With the cost of warranty work probably being undoubtedly high on this engine and drivetrain, Ford will most likely try to find any reason to deny/void any warranty claim.

I agree that modders should skip the warranty. That money is better spent on the aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread