Expired Tags

lightitup

Show and Go
Established Member
When my tags expired back in Dec. 2009 I had them renewed in March 2010. When they sent the stickers and registration for the tags the paperwork said they would expire in Dec.2010 but the stickers they gave me were for 2011.
Now the present. My truck has been down so I have not had a chance to renew the tags yet. Yesterday I had to drive the truck to the paint shop. A cop gets behind me and run my plates. He pulls me over for expired tags, and didn't believe that the clerks sent me those stickers. He was saying I put them on there. I gave me a citation for expired tags, and for removal of the decal sticker (class A misdemeanor) and I must appear and be booked in court. He said if I can prove that it was the clerks fault then it would be dismissed. I didn't know this until after but the cop had proof the entire time because my registration had the sticker number on it and it matched the one on the truck. Now my question is should the cop known about the number on the registration to match with the sticker? Is there anyway to get out of going to court and jail? Would anything still be on my record when I prove it wasn't my fault? He also told me he took someone to jail and it ended up being the clerks fault?
Thanksfor any info

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Take a good photo of the serial #'s on each sticker, and take that photo with you to court along with the registration and show the judge that they match, and that is how the DMV sent it to you.

Last edited:

00streetfighter

Established Member
Take a gppd photo of the serial #'s on each sticker, and take that photo with you to court along with the registration and show the judge that they match, and that is how the DMV sent it to you.

+1. The judge should dismiss it in the interest of justice. I might go one step further and bring the plate (with sticker attached) and the registration.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Take a good photo of the serial #'s on each sticker, and take that photo with you to court along with the registration and show the judge that they match, and that is how the DMV sent it to you.

+1. The judge should dismiss it in the interest of justice. I might go one step further and bring the plate (with sticker attached) and the registration.

Pretty much sums it up.

But the expired registration should still hold up. By your own admittance you knew the mistake was made and your tags expired in Dec. 2010.

You will still have to show up to court, you are facing a criminal charge. It may be a good idea to consult an attorney.

silver03svt

Established Member
Should've been something the LEO checked before writing you the tickets.

If you had read his post clearly, the officer ran the tag and the DMV showed it was expired. Technically that's all the LEO needs at that point. If the OP is correct, it is his burden of proof to show the DMV was at fault.

Next.....

lightitup

Show and Go
Established Member
Thanks for the reply's everyone.
If you had read his post clearly, the officer ran the tag and the DMV showed it was expired. Technically that's all the LEO needs at that point. If the OP is correct, it is his burden of proof to show the DMV was at fault.

Next.....

But he was saying I took the stickers off of another vehicle, but my registration matches the stickers for the truck. When I called the DMV to tell them what had happened they were surprised that the cop didn't check the numbers.

silver03svt

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

But he was saying I took the stickers off of another vehicle, but my registration matches the stickers for the truck. When I called the DMV to tell them what had happened they were surprised that the cop didn't check the numbers.

But unless he is a State Trooper or Highway Patrol, he may not have known about the serial numbers on the stckers being on your registration card. Even if he was a state man, he still may not have known.

lightitup

Show and Go
Established Member
The ticket says appear in court and be booked. Since I have proof will I still have to be booked? Also do I show the proof then or will I have to get another court date and show the proof then?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread