experiment re: gas tank capacities

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
maybe its me making stuff up in my head but I wasn't the first to notice. here are some examples.

I have a 5 gallon tank that I use for my lawnmower and whatnot. it has always held around 4.89 gallons. now it suddenly holds 5.24

my truck holds as much as 2 gallons more than it did back before gas prices started soaring. same for my dads truck. I can pull into the station before my tank ever gets completely empty and put more gas in the tank than I used to be able to, and then when I leave it still isn't full. I have yet to run it empty and fil it completely up to see what the pump says my tank will hold.

I know these things aren't completely accurate but its not like its off a little one way or another. it always says I am getting MORE gas than before. you don't think the store owners are tampering with their pumps to make more money to compensate for their higher gas prices do you?

surely they wouldn't do that! :nono:

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
make a note of it next time you gas up and get back to me if you would. not that there's anything I can do about it.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Neal
make a note of it next time you gas up and get back to me if you would. not that there's anything I can do about it.

I actually have seen this happen several times. Don't forget that the plastic gas cans also expand in the heat. My 5 Gallon tank holds 6.2 gallons in the summer and 5 or so gallons in the winter. But, the gas in the car/truck should remain fairly constant.

Expect ±5%. I think most states even allow for a certain amount of error and believe you me most stations push that limit all the time. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread