Exhibition of Speed

powerwhee

Established Member
Background: I drive a automatic v6 mustang that I've been driving for 3 years, driving in total for 5. No prior tickets on my record. The officer did write 35 in a 35 on the ticket. He did not read me my miranda rights. I was wondering what an officer thinks of this defense and if it would hold up in court. Am I coming off as a prick who thinks he knows the law and is trying to teach the court room? I am in my senior year finishing up my business law degree, so I do have a little knowledge in the field. Thanks for your responses.

Hello your honor,

To start my defense I would like to ask Officer Carlos a question, if possible?

Officer Carlos did you ever tell me that I have the right to remain silent after you handcuffed me? (NO)

I would first like to start my defense by stating that a key procedure required by law, the reading of the Miranda Rights to a person under custodial interrogation, was not done by the arresting officers. Officer Carlos just admitted to not ever telling me I have the right to remain silent, 1 of the 5 parts of the Miranda Rights. He did tell me immediately that I’m under arrest and placed handcuffs on me as soon as the interaction between me and both officers began.

I have filed a complaint with the LAPD in regards to this misconduct and the failure of both officers to adhere to the policies set in place by litigation to ensure my constitutional rights are upheld.

Although this is a traffic stop, and Miranda Rights do not routinely apply to traffic stops, the landmark case Berkemer v. McCarty (1984), was a decision of the United States Supreme Court which ruled that, in the case of a person stopped for a misdemeanor traffic offense (as is my case), once they are in custody, (as I was, the second I got out of my vehicle and placed into handcuffs, denying me my freedom of liberty, and subsequently, denying me the right to record the events between me and both police officers) the protections of the Fifth Amendment apply to me pursuant to the decision inMiranda v. Arizona(1966), as both of the requirements of the Berkemer v. McCarty case are satisfied.

This means that pursuant to the Miranda Rule, anything the officer testifies I said with the aim of bringing forward as evidence for the prosecution of these crimes during the subsequent illegal custodial interrogation, is inadmissible in this court of law by the landmark case Miranda v. Arizona, which set the precedent of the Miranda Rule into effect.

There were no words spoken between me and either officers prior to Officer Carlos putting me in handcuffs and beginning his custodial interrogation of me, other than the officers telling me I’m being detained and placing me in handcuffs.

I will now begin relaying the events that happened that night. I was driving at the speed limit of 35 MPH coming from (college) going northbound on Reseda Blvd, and wanted to get some yogurt. There was a steady flow of traffic on Reseda boulevard going northbound. I passed the police officers on burbank/reseda boulevard traveling northbound at the speed limit.

As I pulled into the private parking lot of the yogurt place that was my destination and exited my vehicle Officer Carlos ran towards me and handcuffed me. Not one word had been exchanged between either me, Officer Carlos, or Officer Carlos’s partner up to this point, and no sirens had been turned on in the parking lot. They told me I was being detained and began interrogating me without reading the five required parts of the Miranda Rights. This again made me feel very scared,as I knew that miranda rights were required to be read for a suspect being under arrest and interrogated by the police, even in traffic stops when the offense is a misdemeanor.

Both officers began their interrogation immediately and repeatedly tried to coerce me into admitting false guilt by using phrases like “just tell us you were racing and we’ll be cool about it” while I was handcuffed. Up until that point I had no idea what crime I had committed, as I was going the speed limit not breaking any traffic rules, driving with the flow of traffic. I repeatedly denied their accusations and kept saying how I was going the speed limit minding my own business.

The officer had not pulled over the car he was accusing me of racing, I had absolutely no idea why I was in handcuffs, being made to admit guilt to a crime I had not committed. The officer did not specify in the ticket anything other than the car I was attempting to race was a “black mercedes” and that I had “burned rubber” although I was traveling the speed limit of 35 mph. The intersection was very crowded with many black vehicles.

To this day I have no clue what black mercedes the officer accuses me of attempting to race. I am not guilty your honor and I told the officer that as well. He smiled as he handed me the ticket, and began to laugh saying he will see me in court.

Thank you for taking the time and consideration to listen to me your honor.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
First off, the whole story needs to be told before ANYBODY can make any recommendations about your story. You have said what you "didn't" do, but you haven't told us what you "did" do. Secondly, I don't think you're going to get an answer you want to hear. Even thought you may be a law student and know how the law works, unfortunately, the judge you stand before may not take so kindly to a defendant attempting to play lawyer to such an extent that you are, not that it isn't your right. The whole Miranda thing will probably only be a moot point because if you did not admit to anything, then why would the officer bring it up. He will only use what he visually observed prior to the stop to establish probable cause.

If you want an HONEST LEO opinion, I think you are overplaying this way too much. A better defense would be proving whether or not your V6 is even capable of "burning rubber". To go with that, ask the officer which rear tire he saw losing traction. If he says the left rear, then it is easy to prove that in an open rear end car (like the V6), it is almost impossible for that wheel to break traction in the manner the officer testified to. The whole complaint to the LAPD the judge won't give to craps about. That is an internal issue with the officer and the Dept., not the Judicial Branch of the system.

Lastly, it would help to know the exact code section you were charged with for this.

powerwhee

Established Member
First off, the whole story needs to be told before ANYBODY can make any recommendations about your story. You have said what you "didn't" do, but you haven't told us what you "did" do. Secondly, I don't think you're going to get an answer you want to hear. Even thought you may be a law student and know how the law works, unfortunately, the judge you stand before may not take so kindly to a defendant attempting to play lawyer to such an extent that you are, not that it isn't your right. The whole Miranda thing will probably only be a moot point because if you did not admit to anything, then why would the officer bring it up. He will only use what he visually observed prior to the stop to establish probable cause.

If you want an HONEST LEO opinion, I think you are overplaying this way too much. A better defense would be proving whether or not your V6 is even capable of "burning rubber". To go with that, ask the officer which rear tire he saw losing traction. If he says the left rear, then it is easy to prove that in an open rear end car (like the V6), it is almost impossible for that wheel to break traction in the manner the officer testified to. The whole complaint to the LAPD the judge won't give to craps about. That is an internal issue with the officer and the Dept., not the Judicial Branch of the system.

Lastly, it would help to know the exact code section you were charged with for this.

Thanks for your response. Like I said I know the defense works in theory but in practice I could come off as a know it all prick trying to be a lawyer.

My reasoning behind bringing up the Miranda rights is to slim down the chances of the officer being able to testify at all in court. I did not admit guilt so that's not what I'm worried about and I'm not worried about the conversation between me and the officer.. my thinking behind me bringing up his failure to do his job is so that he could seem less credible to the judge. Not sure if that would work or not which is why I'm asking here.

That's the thing that shocked me, my auto v6 is definitely not capable of burning rubber let alone burning rubber going 35 mph which is also coincidentally the speed limit. It has an lsd though, being that it's a 2011+ 3.7 so I can't use what you recommend. But I can definitely ask him which tire he saw losing traction, and I thank you for that advice!

I was thinking of building a defense saying the car can't burn rubber because it's an automatic vehicle and I was traveling 35 mph the story is as I said it though. I literally was going the speed limit just driving and pulled into a yogurt parking lot and walked out to the officer handcuffing me. My defense for the burned rubber was going to be that The street I was on was very crowded, if I had been "burning rubber" as the cop says, it was a public safety hazard and he should have pulled me over on the side of the road instead of endangering lives and letting me accelerate to the speed limit. That seemed like to many assumptions though on my part. But I will definitely ask him what tire he saw burning rubber. If I understand what you're saying correctly burning rubber implies that you have to actually see smoke coming out of the tire since that's what burning rubber makes is smoke... if he said lost traction that would mean just the sound is admissible evidence?

It was VC 23109 iirc. That's from memory so it could be wrong.

Last edited:

powerwhee

Established Member
http://www.thefishmanfirm.com/2014/02/phillycriminallawyer.html

What questions were they asking when they "interrogated" you?

Questions that were meant to implicate me in the crime that I was being detained for. I stood my ground and remained adamant of my innocence and that seemed to anger the cop even more.

I was not saying the case will be dismissed simply because my Miranda rights were violated. Hell the cop could lie and say he did read me my rights and I would have no proof he didn't it would be my word against his and we all know who's considered more trustworthy. That's why I want to first show the court he failed to do his Job properly, adding doubt to the officer and his integrity.

I am more asking if in your personal experiences judges are open to listening to normal people giving a lawyer like defense, sound in legal theory, without actually being a lawyer. By no means though am I saying those are the only response I want and I thank you for yours.

GRUSE

Established Member
Don't know how it works in Cali.Here in NY you would get it dismissed if you brought a lawyer,since everyone gets paid.The prosecutor gets the same amount conviction or dismissal,judge gets paid the same way,LEO gets overtime pay for court time,your attorney get paid to rep you.That's how the system works.I asked one of my attorneys,why is it that all lawyers seem to know each other the same as all strippers seem to know each other?His priceless answer "We are all a bunch of whores".

On to Miranda,Understand when you hear your Miranda rights you are not going home tonight.LEO's don't Miranda until you are arrested,OP was detained for an investigation and cuffed for "The Officer's Safety".The cuffs make it feel like you are arrested,a ploy designed to soften you up an admit anything just to get them off.LEO's are vigorously trained to ask leading questions in order to implicate,to the OP's credit he staunchly denies involvement in any wrongdoing.

The older LEO's on this forum are wise and give sound advice,perhaps something as simple as mistaking your vehicle.The cowboys will claim you are not telling all the honest truth.Whats your driving record?Street racing and lying they would have impound the vehicle.

OP good luck in court.

Machdup1

Established Member
OP, have you just sat in traffic court and listened for a couple days? My experience has been that judges are tough but fair with folks who represent themselves. They are however rough on those that dont know the rules.

What is the max penalty for what you are charged with? That should help you decide if you want to try and represent yourself.

boostownsme

Established Member
Some questions to ask the officer ( if it came to that ) that I've seen brought up that have gotten tickets dropped before-
-What lane of travel were you in
-What color was your car/clothing description

Shoddy note taking on scene will not look good for the officers. Also I would not beat them over the head with Miranda, anybody with any experience already knows it. If you are truly innocent I would mention the officers running towards you; 2 officers present; questions you thought on scene would illicit an incriminating response. You did mention that they informed you you were only being detained. If you acknowledged that fact on scene ( that you were detained and not arrested ), then only the surrounding circumstances would dictate whether a reasonable person would have felt it was a custodial setting.

cbj5259

Established Member
Simple question you may want to have answered prior to your court date: Was the incident captured on in car video and were the officers mic'd? If so, it will either be your best friend or your worst enemy. The camera and the mics don't lie.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Your miranda rights? You must be a youngin. Assuming you received a traffic ticket since you stated 35 in a 35 (obviously he messed up). If you were pulled over for speed then he saw you with his own eyes make the traffic violation. Besides that....miranda only applies when you are being arrested fro a crime and even at that...you dont have to be read your miranda unless you are being questioned about the crime you committed...traffic offense do not count.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Not likely to work, and Miranda doesn't apply. Basic law knowledge; Miranda = Custody + Interrogation. Most traffic stops are not custodial arrests, and if it was you would not leave in your car.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
OP, let's say you are correct and the court ruled it was a custodial interrogation and you were not advised of your rights... Only the statements you made after the advisement should have been made could be sanctioned... The mere fact you were handcuffed does not always = custodial arrest.

The observations made by the officers that lead to the development of PC would still stand.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Ok. To the OP, I would say drop what you are planning on doing and get a lawyer. 23109 might be a vehicle code, but it is a misdemeanor heard in criminal court - similar to a DUI. The same as all other misdemeanor's and felonys. Which means prelim trial, jury trial, etc. It is NOT a traffic court type of offense. You will not simply get to talk to the judge and officer freely as you are believing. A misdemeanor conviction can be serious. Get a lawyer, and maybe you can plea it down to a moving violation infraction. Otherwise be prepared to pay a lawyer some good $$ to go the distance for a full trial. That is a serious gamble.

And on misdemeanor vehicle citations, I always submit a full report being that it is heard in criminal court. I'm not sure about the agency in question.

As for the Miranda stuff, that 100% does not apply and will not be a factor in anything with your case.

Good luck.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Seems odd someone would create an account on SVT just to ask his question (and to let us know he is senior year law student)...

Drive-by much?

powerwhee

Established Member
thanks for your responses I had midterms to deal with and I've been on vacation and haven't had the chance to properly reply. What I gather is that most of you are saying the same thing ; get a lawyer. So I will have to. Not going to argue with you guys.

The evil twin can you elaborate more please. Your just saying no without explaining. Why would I not be able to talk freely with the judge? I'm not trying to argue but learn...

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
The criminal court system is much more formal. It's not like traffic court where you go up there and state your case and the officer states his and the judge makes his decision. There are specific processes that take place that are best left to a licensed professional.

If it were me that got into a misdemeanor traffic violation today/tomorrow/whenever and I was cited/arrested, even as an officer having a very loose grasp of how our judicial system works, I still would not dare attempt to represent myself in court.

powerwhee

Established Member
The criminal court system is much more formal. It's not like traffic court where you go up there and state your case and the officer states his and the judge makes his decision. There are specific processes that take place that are best left to a licensed professional.

If it were me that got into a misdemeanor traffic violation today/tomorrow/whenever and I was cited/arrested, even as an officer having a very loose grasp of how our judicial system works, I still would not dare attempt to represent myself in court.

What if the ticket gets dropped to an infraction? Would you say I have a better chance of fighting it myself then? I had an initial court date and the ticket didn't show up online in the system until literally the day of my court date. When I went to the initial court date I went to the misdemeanor line and they couldn't find my ticket and they had me wait all over again in the traffic ticket line and then they found my ticket. Does that have any bearing on anything at all?

I was thinking of going to the initial trial where I plead not guilty and then have my lawyer go to the actual trial since I found a lawyer with great reviews who was a former da charging 500 per visit instead of like 3k to handle my whole case from top to bottom.

I also feel like they wouldn't clog up California's already clogged up criminal legal system with someone who has a 0 prior record for an exhibition of speed where I wasn't even speeding or anything.

Another question what makes a exhibition of speed go from an infraction to a misdeameAnor. Because the cop literally circled misdeameAnor out of spite, saying something like "oh your not guilty ok then I'll see you in criminal court" after I refused to admit guilt.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Exhibition of speed is not a wobbler where it can go from infraction to misdemeanor. It's a vehicle code section that is always charged as a misdemeanor. The idea that it would get plead down to an infraction would be that you would settle on an infraction as guilty/no contest rather than clog up the courts fighting the misdemeanor. You would not get the choice of fighting the infraction.

As for going to one of the pretrials without your lawyer, that is your choice. I would probably consult with an attorney before making that decision.

As for them being unable to find the ticket initially, that would have no bearing at all on the case.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
i dont think representing yourself is a wise move here OP. seems like you still have a lot to learn about this whole breaking the law thing and how it works. lawyer up for now, then after you get your degree and finish school, depending on what field youre going in, tackle this stuff later because i feel like you are just going to piss off the judge and theyre going to throw the book at you.

best of luck.

_Snake_

Established Member
i dont think representing yourself is a wise move here OP. seems like you still have a lot to learn about this whole breaking the law thing and how it works. lawyer up for now, then after you get your degree and finish school, depending on what field youre going in, tackle this stuff later because i feel like you are just going to piss off the judge and theyre going to throw the book at you.

best of luck.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread