Exhibition of power?

TROY

Established Member
I got a ticket this past weekend Mar-15th in My 01L for exhibition of power. I made a u-turn at a R+R crossing and the back of My truck got a little loose and a O.P.D. saw this from about 75 to 100 yards away. Need I say more,a ticket for $80.00. Welcome to Orlando Florida. I will fight it!!! And it was night about 12:15am.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I got a little loose, on a rainy nite, and had a local sherriff run me down- apparently he also owned a '99 and since I was about 5 ft from my place- he let me go with "slow it down"- its amazing what turning the radio down, turning the interior lights on and putting down the windows will do.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Originally posted by TropicalSVT
From what I understand from case law / legal opinion is that there is no expectation of privacy on the side of the road (in the car or out of the car). That is why LEOs can video/audio tape violators without letting them know.

I think it varies from state to state. In Maryland, they MUST be advised of the recording.

GIDIEUP

Established Member
I also keep a mini tape recorder in my pocket to record the exchanges between myself and whomever, just in case.
[/B]

I'm not complaining, because I would do it also. BUT, isn't that right to privacy. I mean, you can record the officers speech, but only if he knows it's being recorded. I doubt you can hold that as hard evidence.

Cheers:beer:
Ryan

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It all depends. On an open road where you are in ear shot of anyone else is there really a true expectation of privacy? I would think not.

But remember the tape is a factual representation. And if the facts are the officer/LEO did something wrong the tape will conclude that and this will never make it to court. It would be dismissed before that tape could be used to embarrass the officer or the dept.

Remember just because it isnt allowed in court doesnt mean it cant be used in another manner to secure the same outcome, ie: press/news or superiors in the dept or county attorneys office, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread