Exhaust violation / Window tint Laws

F8L BYT

Established Member
Just curious about how laws are from state to state such as on a road trip or just moving to a new state.

For example, My car is registered in Indiana but I drive to Tennessee. Can a police officer give me a ticket for window tint or muffler violation in Tennessee even though my car is registered and from another state? And laws such as that can vary state to state.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
It is going to depend on each individual states' law. Law here in Virginia allows for a traffic summons to be issued to the driver of a vehicle registered in ANY state for a window tint violation. Same applies for an exhaust violation.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It is going to depend on each individual states' law. Law here in Virginia allows for a traffic summons to be issued to the driver of a vehicle registered in ANY state for a window tint violation. Same applies for an exhaust violation.

altho it is rarely done. LOL! most of the time you have to be pretty far outside the lines before they will stop an out of state car. I did get stopped once in OK for window tint .. he actually metered the window too, even tho I was a texas registered car.

edited to add: also messing with your exhaust is a federal issue and all states can enforce the federal law if they choose to go down that road. it can get very expensive if they do too.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member

altho it is rarely done. LOL! most of the time you have to be pretty far outside the lines before they will stop an out of state car. I did get stopped once in OK for window tint .. he actually metered the window too, even tho I was a texas registered car.

edited to add: also messing with your exhaust is a federal issue and all states can enforce the federal law if they choose to go down that road. it can get very expensive if they do too.

Awesome thanks guys! I knew the exhaust was most likely that way as it is mostly dictated federally but I wasn't sure.

The reason I asked about those two specific states is I live in Tennessee now, but my cobra is still registered and will stay registered in Indiana so I wasn't sure how the laws were for that. A cop would be very confused if he pulled me over in it as my license is TN but my plates and registration for that car is Indiana haha

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will also say this ... States do not like when you drive a car on their roads that is registered in another state long term. you generally have 30 days to get an instate license and tags for the car. if the same cops see you multiple times with tenn. plates you will probably get pulled ... ask me how I know LOL

Awesome thanks guys! I knew the exhaust was most likely that way as it is mostly dictated federally but I wasn't sure.

The reason I asked about those two specific states is I live in Tennessee now, but my cobra is still registered and will stay registered in Indiana so I wasn't sure how the laws were for that. A cop would be very confused if he pulled me over in it as my license is TN but my plates and registration for that car is Indiana haha

F8L BYT

Established Member
I will also say this ... States do not like when you drive a car on their roads that is registered in another state long term. you generally have 30 days to get an instate license and tags for the car. if the same cops see you multiple times with tenn. plates you will probably get pulled ... ask me how I know LOL

Haha oh I can imagine that, but it's technically not illegal. There is a law about the drivers license though I do know! But it's also a good thing I very rarely drive the car on the street. But thanks for the heads up, I will stay aware of my surroundings and cops lol

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Haha oh I can imagine that, but it's technically not illegal. There is a law about the drivers license though I do know! But it's also a good thing I very rarely drive the car on the street. But thanks for the heads up, I will stay aware of my surroundings and cops lol

There IS a law to have your car registered in the state you move to, and it's usually the same time frame as your driver's license. States do have a small list of exemptions though, i.e. full time college student, active military, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread