Exhaust Valve Warranty Q (Jeep Liberty)

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
My girlfriend's '07 Jeep Liberty is currently sitting in the shop with no compression in cylinder #5. The mechanic has said it is a bad exhaust valve. The car has not been torn down yet; I have to sign/authorize this before they begin.

When she purchased the car used she bought the dealer's 'platinum' warranty plan that is supposed to cover everything. At first the warranty company stated they would cover the cost of the tear down and then evaluate the problem from there for additional coverage. However, when the paperwork came through today they indicated that they will not cover any of the cost if the exhaust valve is burned out.

I'm not all that familiar with this sort of rebuild work but I feel like they will be looking for any excuse to link the problem to a valve burnout therefore leaving the bill to us. I know this is a pretty common occurrence, and the only other thing I can think of is a broken valve?

I'm just curious what I can expect after they tear it down and examine the valves... any input would be great since it's a $2,000 bill I'll have to cover. FWIW, this just happened abruptly and the car died on the road.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My girlfriend's '07 Jeep Liberty is currently sitting in the shop with no compression in cylinder #5. The mechanic has said it is a bad exhaust valve. The car has not been torn down yet; I have to sign/authorize this before they begin.

When she purchased the car used she bought the dealer's 'platinum' warranty plan that is supposed to cover everything. At first the warranty company stated they would cover the cost of the tear down and then evaluate the problem from there for additional coverage. However, when the paperwork came through today they indicated that they will not cover any of the cost if the exhaust valve is burned out.

I'm not all that familiar with this sort of rebuild work but I feel like they will be looking for any excuse to link the problem to a valve burnout therefore leaving the bill to us. I know this is a pretty common occurrence, and the only other thing I can think of is a broken valve?

I'm just curious what I can expect after they tear it down and examine the valves... any input would be great since it's a $2,000 bill I'll have to cover. FWIW, this just happened abruptly and the car died on the road.

Did they provide a reason why they would not cover a burned up exhaust valve?

I would be pulling out your extended warranty paperwork and scrutinizing it for what is covered and what is not covered.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Not yet; I will be doing that but she left all of her warranty information in the glove box. I skimmed it before taking it in and it seemed pretty inclusive.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
you got a crappy warranty. most shops will require the owner to auth tear down. then the warranty co will send out an inspector to look for ways to not have to pay. if you dropped a valve seat, a lot of warranty companies will not cover it because it is not an "internaly oil lubricated component". so yeah, a "burnt" valve would no be covered. I had a 4.2 chevy declined because the valve guides were worn, not oil lubricated, not covered. had a cummins declined for a thrust bearing because it had over sized tires.

good luck, kepp riding them.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Those aftermarket warranties will fight you tooth and nail to not have to cover anything. Good luck.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
if they did a compression check, they should be able to tell you if its the exhaust valve leaking. I would ask the tech who diagnosed it and see what he says. if he says its leaking out of the exhaust valve then I wouldn't even bother tearing it down as the warranty company stated it will not cover it.

also, normally if the exhaust valve is leaking compression it would run rough before dying. could it be a valve seat dropped? valve spring broken?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been asked to testify in three small claims cases where the warranty company denied payment. All three cases were paid by the warranty company the day before trial. Aftermarket warranties are not worth the price, if you feel the need for a warranty, get the manufacturer's plan.

MysticRob

Established Member
I have been asked to testify in three small claims cases where the warranty company denied payment. All three cases were paid by the warranty company the day before trial. Aftermarket warranties are not worth the price, if you feel the need for a warranty, get the manufacturer's plan.

This, a million times. And always shop around the country for the best price on the factory warranty. Like with anything, you can normally get a better price with a little effort.

Once taken care of, you could always cancel the existing policy, get the pro-rated refund, then apply it to a factory warranty too.

Last edited:

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah I agree with everyone above, and it re-affirms everything I was thinking. My gf bought the plan with the car ~3 years ago before we were together so I had nothing to do with it.

The tear down should be completed in the next day or two but it sounds like I should be prepared to foot the bill... even the mechanic said this company is just out to scam people.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yeah I agree with everyone above, and it re-affirms everything I was thinking. My gf bought the plan with the car ~3 years ago before we were together so I had nothing to do with it.

The tear down should be completed in the next day or two but it sounds like I should be prepared to foot the bill... even the mechanic said this company is just out to scam people.

It sounds like she may have purchased a warranty directly from a dealership. Many of those aren't warranties as much as a holding pond for capitol. The dealerships dip in to that pool to pay off used cars, fund construction or inventory etc.

As a result the warranty is mostly fluff for anything major that occurs. The contracts are written in a manor that allows them to escape high dollar repairs with nothing more than an acknowledgement about things such as abuse, misuse or lack of general upkeep.

Things that can't easily be dis-proven, especially when confronted by an "expert mechanic."

I don't buy extended warranties unless it's a manufacturer backed warranty. If I was you and they are already trying to deny the claim, I would cancel it immediately and put whatever pro-rated refund you get back towards the repair bill.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Has he removed the valve covers yet? The 3.7s in the Liberty are NOTORIOUS for breaking valve springs causing the valve to hang open and you will get zero compression. Check that before having him tear it down completely!

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
It sounds like she may have purchased a warranty directly from a dealership. Many of those aren't warranties as much as a holding pond for capitol. The dealerships dip in to that pool to pay off used cars, fund construction or inventory etc.

Nope I know it's from a 3rd party company... I'll have to find out which one. Maybe I'll try and swing by there tomorrow just so I can review the warranty information.

Has he removed the valve covers yet? The 3.7s in the Liberty are NOTORIOUS for breaking valve springs causing the valve to hang open and you will get zero compression. Check that before having him tear it down completely!

I have zero idea where he is at, but if that's the case that would be a huge relief! I'll try and mention that tomorrow if I can make time to swing by!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
the tech should be able to tell you what the cylinder is leaking from. if its a burned exhaust valve, broken valve spring or burned valve seat.

make sure you know fully what is wrong before going deeper into the engine.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member

I mentioned this to him this morning and this is what it was! I really appreciate the solid input! +1,000 internets to you :beer:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Glad I was able to help out. Used to work for Chrysler, have seen this many many times. Will the warranty cover it?

I will gladly accept payment via paypal for the money I saved you :D

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ if you check above, I believe I touched on the matter first. I should receive at least 50% of the paypal donation :)

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Lol 50-50 split sounds good. Yes the warranty will cover it; she can afford to pay her $100 deductible so I'm off the hook!

Users who are viewing this thread