Exhaust system opinions on different combinations

Cannons

Established Member
I have a few questions about lightning exhaust systems.

What would be the best configuration of an exhaust system for the mild bolt on trucks and the radical mod trucks? Please put your opinions here on the items that I have listed. If there are any problems with certain combinations or sized please feel free to explain. Im trying to figure out what exhaust system combinations will work best for certain types of mods. Pretend you were going to put together your own exhaust system and you could do it any way you wanted, which way would you do it and why.

1-3/4 headers vs. 1-5/8?
Long tube vs. short?
2.5" mid pipes vs. 3"?
Cats vs. No Cats?
X-pipe vs. No X-pipe?

If I forgot anything let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
if youre just gonna have a bolt on truck, id say stay with the smaller full length headers, go with an x pipe, hi flow cats (no cats are super loud), and maybe a straight thru muffler like some magnaflows. if youre gonna build a motor and use a big blower, id say go with bigger headers and pipes. although i made over 800rwhp with small headers and 2 1/2" pipes. i think it would have made more with bigger pipes IMO, just never got around to it. that help any?

Last edited:

Cannons

Established Member
Yes, every little bit of info helps. This is a post off another lightning forum on the same topic that I will add to this.

"The one thing I can tell you from experience is that these trucks sound like crap with no x-pipe or crossover. The most restrictive part of the system is the stock midpipes/cats. It also seems like most people that are under 400/500 actually loose a little performance due to lost back pressure causing torque loss and not enough HP gain on top to make up the difference. Under 400 HP I'd just to a cat back system and leave cat forward stock. If you are 450-550 HP then go with long tubes w/ HF cats on 2.5" midpipe and 2.5" cat back. If you were 600HP+ then Long tubes w/3" mids and 3" cat back like the JLP-R system would be the best way to go."

I need as much info as possible on Lightning Exhaust.

SVT RELAMPAGO

28,348 kw lightning
Established Member
Svtlightning_04 said:
MagnaFlow is nice but im going to run with borla which im getting at a good price at this site http://www.lightningforceperformanc..., now i run magnaflow and i like much better.

04sonicL

Established Member
Yea dont go with the Borla unless you want your L to be quiet. My ranger XLT I had with Borla exhaust was as loud as my L. Borla sounded good on the 6 banger ranger, but not the L. I have silver bullets now and there is no comparison.

Cannons

Established Member
I think I am going to do a setup like this.... I only have 2 undecided areas.

All 304 Stainless....
1 5/8 Long tube headers, 2.5" midpipes with Random Tech High Flow cats, 2.5" X-pipe, then muffler (different sound options) then 2.5" or 3" pipes out of the muffler into 3"or 4" polished angle cut tips (I dont know if 4" tips is too big?)

I am debating having the system made where the cats have flanges on each end for easy removal at the track. I would have a pipe made with the same flanges for a 2 minute swap.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
Check the link in my sig.....No front cats into high flow rear cats....S.S. X pipe and dual One chamber Flowmasters. Exiting through 4" Rolled slash tips. The innovator has spoken :D :D

Last edited:

Cannons

Established Member
Red99CobraVert said:
I think I am going to do a setup like this.... I only have 2 undecided areas.

All 304 Stainless....
1 5/8 Long tube headers, 2.5" midpipes with Random Tech High Flow cats, 2.5" X-pipe, then muffler (different sound options) then 2.5" or 3" pipes out of the muffler into 3"or 4" polished angle cut tips (I dont know if 4" tips is too big?)

I am debating having the system made where the cats have flanges on each end for easy removal at the track. I would have a pipe made with the same flanges for a 2 minute swap.
All 304 Stainless Steel System is being designed and mocked up right now, its going to be 1 5/8 Long tube Headers, 3" Mid pipes, Random Tech 3" High Flow Cats, 3" X-Pipe, I will have 3 different muffler sounds that I will be able to choose from, then 3" pipes out of the muffler. We are going to build the headers with EASY installation as one of the top priorities.

Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread