exhaust! straight pipe or mufflers

usmcgtstang2141

Established Member
i got a question for yall!! which is better straight pipe exhaust u kno nothing but pipes under the chassis or should u put some mufflers under there too??? reason i ask is cause recently i have removed my mufflers...the car sounds amazing! i was hanging with friends the other nite 1 mentioned that is not good to just run straight pipe cause the engine internals will get weak something like that!! im a mechanic and have never heard of that before any one else?????

i have long tube headers 3in collectors then 3in pipe to the axles and dumps at the axles!!

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
It's not going to hurt the engine any. But you are probably suffering from ear damage when you drive that thing. lol

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
It will start to get on your nerves after a while, so i vote mufflers.. Throw something like the borla XR1 on there, and tone it down some. ive never heard of straight pipe weakening anything.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i had slp LM1's and they werent bad cruising. Also had a slp o/r x and it was obnoxious at WOT but cruising it really wasnt bad

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Eh, sometimes mufflers sound better. I have an off-road H pipe with flows on my car and it sounds amazing.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
I've got no mufflers. Everything else is stock as far as the exhaust is concerned. It's loud, but not rediculously loud unless your 3.5K+ rpm. While I think it sounds good, it could be a little more refined with the addition of a muffler, has a lot of rasp and pop to it. Not sure how it compares to something like LM1s.

pRojekt02GT

no mufflers will more than likely get on your nerves..it was cool with my car for about a week and a half, lol.

I've never heard anything about the engine being damaged from no mufflers..anyone else hear differently?

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
who ever told u it will make the engine weak, has no idea what they are talking about. If u like it and it sounds good then keep it, or else just throw a performance muffler on it. slp loudmouth 1's or some borla stingers

Users who are viewing this thread