Exhaust rattle

cobrakommander

Anyone else experience excessive exhaust rattle after upgrading their exhaust. Installed a lethal ORX and a borla ATAK catback a while ago and I hear rattling underneath as I drive over bumps in the road.

Trying to get an idea of how common this may be. Thanks.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have a Borla S type cat back installed. No rattles at all.

I had a 99 Cobra a long time ago that did have a rattle after switching to a Bassani cat back system. It was determined that the heat shield attached to the cat converter had detached in an area causing the rattle.

I don’t recall if this design was changed on my ‘12 whereas the heat shield is attached to the cat converter or the car‘s underside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I've installed exhaust systems on just about everything. My Roush Mustang had similar rattle last year. I had it up on lift and would push and bang it by hand, but it all seemed quiet. But on the road, it would rattle. Finally I took the mufflers off and found the culprit where a hanger on the muffler was barely contacting a mounting bracket on the chassis.

Moral of the story: you gotta dig deeper and you'll find it.

Of course, it could also be that something is loose internally in one of your exhaust components.

RBB

Established Member
I've installed exhaust systems on just about everything. My Roush Mustang had similar rattle last year. I had it up on lift and would push and bang it by hand, but it all seemed quiet. But on the road, it would rattle. Finally I took the mufflers off and found the culprit where a hanger on the muffler was barely contacting a mounting bracket on the chassis.

Moral of the story: you gotta dig deeper and you'll find it.

Of course, it could also be that something is loose internally in one of your exhaust components.
I've had this issue several times as well. Once the exhaust heats up and expands the muffler hangers will push back into the bracket and rattle/squeak on pretty much all my aftermarket setups. After installing long tubes it was bad enough that I ended up taking a sawzall and trimming the midpipe down a little bit so everything was the proper length.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Check the clearance between your over axle pipes and the upper panhard rod support brace. Your axle backs will move around while driving over bumps. You can try to find the source of the rattle by laying on your back under the rear of your car and pushing up with moderate force on the mufflers, then just let them drop. You can adjust your exhaust hangers a little for additional clearance if needed.

cobrakommander

Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. I use to drive the car maybe 1-2 times every two weeks. It didn't bother me much cause I rarely drove it. I have to drive it much more now and the rattle is driving me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread