Exhaust Rattle... Please help!

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
This may be a long shot, but I'm looking for any help here. My truck has developed a rattle which I'm almost certain is exhaust related.

The weird thing is it only does it sometimes and it only does it once the truck warms up. From what I can tell, the sound is isolated to the driver's side. I've tightened everything down but no bueno.

I have magnaflow midpipes with a bassani c/b. Is it possible something may be inside the exhaust tubing? Also, how do you know if a cat is going bad?

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated.

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
that rattle must be driving you Loco!

I had one....it was my muffler....same symptoms...it would only rattle when it was warm......

I would warm it up and wait for the rattle to commence....then get under it and inspect the muf or cat....maybe tap it lightly with a hammer? or with a heavy duty glove try to wiggle the tubing?

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
I just developed one.....but I don't have any kitty-cats.It's driving me crazy! I gotta
crawl under there and take a peak soon.

"themadgnome" how yah doing buddy? Got to get together and drink another beer......

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Alright... Now I'm getting paranoid after my last "test drive," I've got it in my head that it might be detonation. If this is the case, would it happen consistently or could it happen at random times? Also, would my predator tuner pick up any codes? I bought a bottle of octane booster just in case I got some bad gas. Any other thoughts?

As far as the cats go, are there any other ways to tell they have gone bad?

Last edited:

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
So that makes 3 votes for the cats... I guess it's off to the muffler shop. This could be a good thing though, it may mean my gas mileage will improve a little. Now that I think of it, that needle has been moving faster than normal.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
when i had a rattle in my exahust, it came out to be my high flow bassani cats. they blew out.

When this first started did the rattle come and go or was it constant?

This is slowly making more sense, now that I think of it the rattle sound doesn't occur when I hit bumps, and when I went underneath the truck I was shaking and hitting everything but nothing would rattle.

tricked350z

Established Member
my stock exhaust seems to to do the same thing. i would hope none of my system is going bad considering it only has 22k miles on the lightning.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
i had the same problem but mine was the catback!!!!!! it was broken inside something had fallen apart thought it was the right side cats but it would only doit when it shifted gears!!!!!! it was a MAC catback so i went and bought a new one bassani!!!!!

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Mine only rattled after I had been driving the truck pretty hard and they got hot. They would rattle like crazy. Driving around normal they wouldn't make all that much noise, but some none the less.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
If it is indeed a cat, I would say just punch them out if you don't have emission testing in FL. It won't be to loud.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
I'm doing good (other than this prob.) I'm getting ready to go back to school in about a week, can't wait 'till football season starts:banana:. How bout you, anything new?

I'm good man:beer: I know Gainesville is gotta be "NUTS" during football
season:thumbsup: I got to get up their for a game soon:-D

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Mine only rattled after I had been driving the truck pretty hard and they got hot. They would rattle like crazy. Driving around normal they wouldn't make all that much noise, but some none the less.

That pretty much sums up my problem. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon. Thanks everyone for their input.

insane99svt

Established Member
Mine developed a rattle but it was the hanger on my bassani exhaust came off of one pipe and it was just low enough it would touch the traction bars but it was only when I started it and hit bumps.

Some times the clamps that are I believe slip-band type will stretch a little and they want tighten up good.

Best thing to do is get it to rattle will its on ramps or something and check it.

smilinjack

Established Member
Same problem here for a very long time. It made me crazy. Turned out that the muffler has a diverter plate in it to channel the flow of exhaust thru both chambers. It was only a piece of stainless angle iron tack welded in place. Apparently the welder wasn't worth a crap, it wiggled loose and only rattled when warm and usually at low rpm's. Either remove or repair, either is good. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread