Exhaust Questions

04cobrafreak

Established Member
Told my dad I wanted to get him new exhaust for his 04 Cobra. I personally like Borla Stinger Cat-Backs and Bassani Catalytic X-pipe. He said it sounded like there would be alot of interior drone. Anyone have this setup and can tell me if there is any drone?

xtremeskime21

Established Member
i do.....going down the highway at 75 in 6th for 13 hrs...yes there is drone...however it sounds sick if you are not cruising for that long.

04cobrafreak

Established Member
Exactly. The longest we have ever driven in it was about an hour and a half or 2 hours. I don't see him taking any 13 hours drives in it. Ever. He hardly ever drives it. Haha

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Not sure, but Mac flowpaths sounds godly on the 03-04 Cobra. Think about it. The drone is terrible, but hey its a mustang.
Let your dad hear this setup: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYM1bFiN8X4"]YouTube - SNAKEBITE MUSTANG COBRA[/nomedia]

04cobrafreak

Established Member
Oh hell yeah. Ive seen that video so many times and I have shown it to him. I just don't think he wants something like that. He wants something with little drone that sounds badass. I prefer to have it sound more badass and don't mind the drone as much. I think he said he was looking at a Bassani Cat back and Bassani Catalytic X-pipe.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Bassani Catted w/Stingers drones pretty hard.

Magnaflow catted X w/Magnaflow catback = No drone and great sound WOT.

Stingers alone with stock midpipe is ok. Very very low drone if any really; just volume, but not what I'd consider drone.

Bassani or Magnaflow catbacks w/stock midpipe is also ok sound wise.

Magnaflow Catted X w/Bassani cb WITH the baffles in the tips is fairly quiet. Without the baffles it's pretty loud and sounds great. No hard drone and the band of it is pretty narrow. (This is my setup).

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I have a UPR O/R x and Borla Stingers. When I first put the setup on, the second I got on the highway I was like :eek: this drone is terrible! But, you just need to find that sweet spot where the exhaust is quiet. Also it helps A LOT to have the window's open. I absolutely love the way my car sounds cruising around town tho. Easy to keep on the quieter side too.

oldmodman

Established Member
I tried a couple of different pipes and I finally ended up staying with the first thing I got.

The Borla "quiet pipe" (I think the number was 14258) and the stock H pipe and cats.

It has a little more idle noise than stock pipes and a lot more roar at full throttle. And no drone on the freeway.

But I'm an old guy and like my peace and quiet these days:shrug:

DEVIL

Established Member
Magnaflow catted x-pipe + flowmasters = great sound, no drone and a decent price. I love the way it sounds, and so do just about everybody that hears it. Gets a little loud outside the car at wot, but no real change inside. My friend was at the track with me, and he runs Magnaflo or x and Magnapacks, said how great my car sounded going down the track!

slider701

Established Member
You might want to try to find a take off x-pipe from someone, plasma cut open the cats (or use a die grinder and thin cut off wheel), remove the bricks from the cats, and then Tig weld it back up to look stock. I have heard this combination with stock mufflers and you would be surprised on how good it sounded.

The best part is that the system looks 100% stock and the only cost you have is of a take off x-pipe and some labor to cut it apart and weld back together.

ThatOneCobra

Go Ducks !
Established Member
borla's r pretty expensive but if u can afford it by all means go for it.
i have the american thunder CB flowmaster and i love the sound of it.
but hey, to each there own

02 Min Grey GT

Established Member
Bassani Catted w/Stingers drones pretty hard.

Magnaflow catted X w/Magnaflow catback = No drone and great sound WOT.

Stingers alone with stock midpipe is ok. Very very low drone if any really; just volume, but not what I'd consider drone.

Bassani or Magnaflow catbacks w/stock midpipe is also ok sound wise.

Magnaflow Catted X w/Bassani cb WITH the baffles in the tips is fairly quiet. Without the baffles it's pretty loud and sounds great. No hard drone and the band of it is pretty narrow. (This is my setup).

As someone that has a Bassani catback, I have to say that I strongly disagree with this statement. The "baffles" do not make much difference at all. I really couldn't tell any difference. The Bassani catback is not as loud as Stingers, so that may be what is desired here. The Magnaflow is another good choice. I recommended a Magnaflow catted x- and catback to a co-work with an '04 Cobra because he wanted a good sound but not too loud and he is really happy with it.

venmos1

Established Member
i had the slp lm2 catback with stock mid and i loved it. no drone cruising on highway but sounded mean when tacked up.

Users who are viewing this thread