Exhaust Question

aleon

Established Member
Sup folks!

I have Lightning and just bought my wife an 03 GT. I'm wondering if I remove the Cats, will I loose low end power? On my L I loose a significant amount of low end power but I'm not sure if the same applies with the GT. Please advise me. I'm doing the exhaust and 3:73 gears with a Diablo chip next Saturday. Hopefully she'll feel the difference and leave my truck alone...:)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Worse on a smaller displacement engine. A good highflow catalytic pipe will work well. A good catback will also help.

aleon

Established Member
What kind of exhaust setup would you suggest then? X-Pipe, 2 highflow cats and a catback Maybe? :shrug: Thanks for any input. :beer:

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Originally posted by aleon
What kind of exhaust setup would you suggest then? X-Pipe, 2 highflow cats and a catback Maybe? :shrug: Thanks for any input. :beer:

BBK x pipe, or Bassani with 2 chamber flowmaster cat back system. That should allow that GT to breath a lot easier!
(just my $0.02):-D

aleon

Established Member
Thanks a lot folks. I'm just starting to learn about these GT's. I'm hoping to get it up to 300RWHP. From what I understand, it's gonna take a lot of work. Here's what I've got planned so far :
3:73 gears, full exhaust (as recommended by you guys), CAI, Diablo Chip, Underdrive pulley, and a Valve Body (Factory Tech). I think that should get her started off pretty well. Please let me know what you guys think.

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
One more suggestion,.....go to a slightly larger mass air meter 80mm, and a bigger t-body, perhaps 70mm. This upgrade is small , but it will allow for a quicker throttle response and a noticeable difference launching from a red light.
Hope this helps?:beer:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If it's an auto the 300 RW mark is going to require a power adder or internal motor work. The AODE4's just ROB power. A good stall converter will help free up a little power. It will also let you use a little more of what you have available at the launch.

big_gar420

Established Member
General rule of mid-pipes on a Mustang, X-pipe will be raspier like Nascar and H-pipe with deeper like a Muscle car. I went with the Pro Chamber because the gains and sound would be nicer. Also if you are going to do gear don't do any less than 4.10's or it's not really worth it.

You might want to check out MagnaFlow for the cat-backs, they are stainless steal and they have a nice 5-10rwhp gain. Just some thoughts. If you want to read more on stangs try, www.mustangworld.com

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
Originally posted by big_gar420
Also if you are going to do gear don't do any less than 4.10's or it's not really worth it.

[/url]
:shrug: 4.10's??? , You'll get out of the hole , but you'll shit the bed by 70 mph and lose too much top end.
3.55 and/or 3.73 make sense when balancing low end torque to top end power in the newer GT's (99 + )

Last edited:

big_gar420

Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper
:shrug: 4.10's??? , You'll get out of the hole , but you'll shit the bed by 70 mph and lose too much top end.
3.55 and/or 3.73 make sense when balancing low end torque to top end power in the newer GT's (99 + )

The 4.10's will raise the top speed that the car would be avle to get. His theoretical top speed would be lower but you couldn't attian that speed anyways. Everybody that I have talked to says that their car actually has a higher top end with the gears, not many cars have enough power to get the use out of the lower gears.

Go to www.mustangworld.com and go to the 4.6 tech room and ask about gears and a guy named BAMF will help answer any question(he has 4.30's).

Here's a nice gear calc. http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

bullitt1229

I just put a MAC O/R X on this weekend and let me tell you, those cat's are restrictive. I also have 2 chamber flows welded in and the sound is awesome. Next is shifter and 4.10's.

Users who are viewing this thread