exhaust question

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
if i remove my resinator will a see an increase in fuel economy and is there any negative side affects of this mod?

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Not to mention, it will sound awful. The stock resonator is a huge restriction in the stock SVT exhaust. Your best option: Buy a Magnaflow straight through resonator, and weld it in place of the stock unit. Better flow, and AWESOME sound.

Mark

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
i had a mechanic weld in a straight pipe and i have to say i like the sound. it sounds kind of hollow at first but once the exhaust warms up it has the same note as it did stock but with a louder sound.

atc3434

CSVT - 3 liter hunting!
Established Member
Yea, I like my stock exhaust minus the resonator. Raspy when cold, but perfect when its warmed up. I think I felt a touch better topend with it.... just like it reved quicker or something. I don't trust the butt dyno thought, so you're mileage may very.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Without the resonator the car ALWAYS sounds like ass when rev'd.
Just have it replaced with a quality straight through unit. Make sure NOT to use any POS louvered core units. (cherry bombs, raptors, most glass packs, etc) You know, the cheap shit you find at the typical exhaust shops and auto stores.

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
I was also worried when I took out my resonator, but it sounds great. A little “ricey” when it’s cold, but once it warms up it sounds great. I have 2.5in piping with Vibrant Mufflers.

Last edited:

Y2KSVT

Established Member
DemonSVT said:
Without the resonator the car ALWAYS sounds like ass when rev'd.
Just have it replaced with a quality straight through unit. Make sure NOT to use any POS louvered core units. (cherry bombs, raptors, most glass packs, etc) You know, the cheap shit you find at the typical exhaust shops and auto stores.

Well said. Loud does NOT = Nice sound :nono:
Those that say it sounds good, should really have a buddy drive the car, with you OUTSIDE of it. Let him do a few WOT passes, and you will immediately change your mind on what sounds nice, and what doesn't. Like Demon and I have both said, buy a straight through, high quality resonator, and be done with it. You can pickup a Magnaflow for ~$100 or less. Don't go cheap with the hillbilly POS glasspacks. Your typical Joe's Muffler shop doesn't care that they sell you shit, because that's what they stock.

Mark

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have had people do drive bys and once it warms up, I can't tell a difference with or with out the resonator, but that could be because maybe I had a POS resonator.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
i think it sounds ok and if nothing else i have gained some noticable power and that is all i really care about

Users who are viewing this thread