Exhaust options for '10 GT500

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I don't see a ton of GT500 exhaust clips on youtube that aren't full-exhaust, as opposed to just a catback. I currently have an 04 cobra with the "usual" Borla Stinger (combined with catted magnaflow X). Love the sound, and was hoping to get something that had a similar aggressive tone, but hopefully maybe a bit less drone, as I'd have a young child in the back fairly often.

Saw that Borla has a combo that includes and X-crossover that fits behind the stock cats, as well as mufflers that look like stingers. Here's a link:
http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140320

Anyone run or know anything about this system? They refer to this as their "s-type" system, however, the latest s-type - for the 5.0 GTs - has a larger, oval-type muffler as opposed to the small cylindrical stinger type. What I like about the new (GT) s-type is it seems aggressive, but has much less interior drone than typical catbacks.

Anyways, just wanted to get a sense of my options - key goal again is aggressive sound, but hopefully not a ton of drone. I've also liked the sound of bassani on the new 5.0 GTs, but the sound clip of the bassani catback for the '10 GT500 on bassani's site sounds pretty crappy, imo.

Last edited:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
If you don't want drone then the magna flow is out, I have iron my '11 and it sounds good but there is drone.

If you want to try a '10 Roush axle back delete, let me know, I have for sale at an almost giveaway price.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I would stick with the stock mufflers and buy a mid-pipe with hi-flow cats. The 2010 mufflers flow plenty good. And as far as I know, nobody makes mufflers with 4 inch tips so smaller tips are not going to fill the outlets in the valence. I had a JBA o/r x-pipe with stock manifolds and it would bite. The sound was sharp. I would not call it a drone. But, it was too loud as hell. I now have a Dynatech catted x-pipe on my long tubes and it is just right. Under idle and normal driving it has a good purr. But what is amazing is how loud it is under WOT. Not as loud as my o/r x-pipe but not enough to draw the attention of a LEO from 10 blocks away. I think with the stock manifolds a catted mid-pipe would sound really good.

Last edited:

--------
Established Member
i have the Bassani 3" O/R system, 3" O/R mid-pipe 3" x-pipe 3" straight through mufflers with 1 7/8" Stepped headers...only drones at 1800-2000 rpm...it is loud and trust me, the car sounds like an ANIMAL !!!
601500.jpg

--------
Established Member
depends on what you want...i think my car sounds like it should...hellacious...lol...definately a head turning exhaust!!!

--------
Established Member
headers are expensive and hell to install...(had to drop the k member for the driverside) but the sound is worth it and when you see the headers up against the stock exhaust manifold you wonder how it breathed before

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Yeah, definitely not intending to do headers. Was just looking for a catback that would up the volume, but not create a ton of cruising drone.

A few systems, including the Borla I linked, have 4" tips for whoever mentioned that. I also didn't really consider the idea of maybe a catted midpipe with stock mufflers. Just don't know if that would be any louder than, say, a "mild" catback (like the Borla ("touring"?) with the larger, oval mufflers) with the stock cats/midpipe.

And for the Corsas, do they really have little drone? I only noticed an axleback from them when I did a fast initial search, and it's like $800+. Pretty steep for basically a set of mufflers and tips.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
And for the Corsas, do they really have little drone? I only noticed an axleback from them when I did a fast initial search, and it's like $800+. Pretty steep for basically a set of mufflers and tips.

Corsa's are pricey, but are very high quality and have zero drone. Anyone who has them (me included) will tell you that. You can get them for $600-700. Borla's are just as much

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
KR mufflers M5230-SA with PHRP H-pipe. Its the exact set-up as the KR's. Fantastic old school sound, no drone.

Synister500

I'm with stupid
Established Member
This is my 2011 GT500 bone stock with Magnaflow catback.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qluoofCDWRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]‪2011 GT500 Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Another vote here for replacing the stock midpipe and cats. I have an MRT H-pipe and JBA 3" that sounds good at idle and WOT but has horrible drone while cruising in 5th and 6th. I'll be replacing the JBA with a mid-muffler setup in a couple weeks.

--------
Established Member
the LT headers an O/R are for a non DD to me..but the sound is unmatched + the 44rwhp gain....first i installed the 3" x-pipe and cat back bassani system thinking it would give me what i wanted...it's probably more of what you want...to me still sounded like most mustangs...it did open it up and sounded more throaty..the L/T headers and O/R gave it that unusual aggressive what that hell is that sound lol...i've had people that declined a race (somewhere in mexico on the street lol) just cause of the sound...sounds like something that should be on a trailer
601500.jpg

inyadreems

Established Member
How do they sound. I just saw those today in a magazine. They look good on the web site too, and the price is right.

Didn't get a chance to install yet, will post up when I do.

Here is a vid I found on YT.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej081iC3xK4"]‪Striker Axle-back for 2005-09 Mustang GT‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

--------
Established Member
Here's a vid with the L/T headers O/R 3" race....i phone so not too good of quality..better in person lol

ttbourne601

inyadreems

Established Member
Just installed the SVE axle back and they sound awesome. Easy installation and fitment, nice deep low rumble on start up, fully polished T 304 SS with 4 inch tips, couldn't get on it because it started raining on the way home but they sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread