Exhaust no-go

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Just wanted to give anyone thinking about getting the Roush Extreme Exhaust and the lethal off-road H pipe a heads up. Don't do it! They are both great products on their own, but together way too loud and popping all over the place both when you give it gas and slow down. Don't get me wrong, I love loud healthy sounding exhausts, but this combo is just way too much. I am going to put the stock mufflers back on tomorrow and go from there. That is unless anyone knows how to get the popping to go away with out keeping it under 1500 RPMs? ;-) I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow before I take it off if I can do it with out blowing my ear drums out....

mike.b

Established Member
I'd like to hear it for sure! It will probably sound good with just the lethal o/r x and stock mufflers too. I think I've heard that combo recently

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Yeah I keep reading about a lot of people using that combo. I just hope I like it because getting another one is out of the question per the wife....:bash:

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
MRT H-Pipe -> Magnaflow bullets -> 2012 stock mufflers here. Perfect sound IMO. I get burbling on decel which I like, but not the popping as you describe. I did however have that before I put the Magnaflows on. The perforated baffle cut down on rogue pulses and it rolls out nice and smoothe now. Very, very happy with the sound of my car right now. I don't want to touch it!

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
2007 GT500 Roush Extreme Exhaust w/off-road H-pipe - YouTube

Lets see if this works. I've never posted a video from youtube on here before. This is one of my Lethal off-road H-pipe and the Roush Extreme Exhaust. I took off the tips and threw the stock mufflers on with the resonators and it sounded decent. However, I put the full stock cat-back on with the H-pipe and it sounds great. I would have left the resonators on there but the sound isn't worth $500 which is about how much I would have paid for them if I just sold the tips. Oh well lesson learned. Thanks for all the inputs everyone!

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
One thing I noticed was that my check engine light came on after I put on the exhaust. I know its from not having cats and that a tune can shut the O2's off. However, I don't have a dyno anywhere around me, but I will be headed to New Mexico in August and will hit one up there. Will it hurt anything to drive around with those O2's on or do I need to buy a handheld and get them shut off?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I had that same setup...its ungodly loud..not even a cool sound either. Just like u said put on the stock mufflers and u will be much happier...I know I am

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
No, its more of an embarrassing loud more than anything. The popping doesn't really come out until you drive it. The revs weren't too bad. Downshift and its another story...Got the stock mufflers back on now though.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I actually really like the way it sounds, I have the ofr x pipe and the kr muffler its about that loud.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I actually really like the way it sounds, I have the ofr x pipe and the kr muffler its about that loud.

I agree.

I want to get a decibel meter to measure mine. It all depends what youre using to listen to it. I want an independent measurement.

Nsssane1

Established Member
I don't understand guys getting Lt's, no cats and then adding resonator's to bottle it back up? I run MMS mufflers they where specifically designed for Gt500's with Lt's because the guy who made them couldn't find the right combo and sound great to me. But anyways everyone is going to tell you theirs sound the best.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
straight through reso has much less backpressure compared to a cat. It just is there to smoothe the pulses. It just takes the edge off while maintaining great flow and sound, a sound tuning tool really.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Resonators don't bottle anything up. They simply distort the sound waves and change their driection and tone. Sound and flow are two totally differnt things when it comes to exhaust. A good quality resonator, built the way it's supposed to be and to the propper size for the rest of your exhaust, will not reduce flow characteristics at all.

Seppelrator

Established Member
I was going to install the lethal o/r h-pipe this weekend but then I found your thread.
Being 22 the roush exhaust alone is not loud enough but I definitely don´t want it to sound embarrassing. The vid sounds great to me.
So is anybody running this set up or is it really a no go?

Users who are viewing this thread