Exhaust leak, please help!!!

Runmaster06

Established Member
I recently installed a Bassani O/R X in my car and afterward I can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak coming from in front of the passenger seat. It only happens when I get on the throttle a bit and is especially bad under boost. I checked the header/downpipe connection and retightened the bolts. Leak is still there. At idle I can't hear it and can't tell where it is coming from with the hood up. Is possible I knocked the exhaust manifold loose when I was installing my x pipe? Cracked the exhaust gasket maybe? If I end up needing to check the headers is it worth it to install long tubes while I have things that far apart? What exactly is involved with installing long tubes? Any help that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

96badvenm

Established Member
i dont think you would have knocked your header loose. You need to jack the car up, start it and go under where you think the leak is coming from. Just feel for air coming out anywhere on the pipes. Then make sure that the passenger side gasket is there in between the header and x pipe. Also if you have the 5 peice x pipe check all of your joints all the way back. I have a bassani x pipe, and i was getting a leak from two of the joints that i had to use rtv on them to stop the leak.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i have a bassani catted x and i have the exact same issue. i've taken it into an exhaust shop and they said they couldn't find any evidence of a leak. i almost think it's just the way the pipe sounds :shrug:

Runmaster06

Established Member
I checked and I did have a few small leaks I ended up using RTV on all the joints and it stopped up all the leaks, but i'm still getting the noise from the passenger side. I checked for the gasket and it is there. I made sure that it was on correctly and I tightened it down well. I get no noise at idle or light throttle, but as soon as I'm over 30% throttle or so it makes a loud swooshing sound like air coming out of the exhaust. I tried reving the engine on the lift, but couldn't hear or feel anything. Any other ideas? I'm just about ready to say screw it and have a exhaust shop look at it.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I have a similar "whooshing" sound, but I don't think that's a leak. I believe this is an interaction between the pipe material and the way it carries the sound of exhaust flow. I could be wrong, but my catted MRT H makes the same noise and I don't have any exhaust leaks. If you take it to a shop, let us know the outcome.

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Well I have the same thing going on in my cobra mines a 99 when I took it in they said its no exhaust leak. they said its my exhaust valves so they did a compression test on each cylinder and it sure was my exhaust valves. On my driver side its at 60lbs when its gotta b @160... But u know every car is different just make sure u re-use a different gasket each time and make sure its tight.

ZZR

Kickin it in a Termie
Established Member
OEM Ford gasket ONLY with a liberal splash of Ultra copper silicone on both sides. Be sure to fully tighten the passengers side before the drivers / re-tighten after bringing up to temperature.............good to go.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Its not coming from under the seat... I know right where your problem is and how to fix it... SO FAR... Mine has not come loose again with the same set up as yours... PM and well talk by phone... Don't feel like writing a write up on it...LOL!

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
^^^ Obviously you were not the ONLY one with this issue... When in fact I thought I WAS!!! lol!!!! I rec'd like 4 PMs regarding this matter... U would think for as much money this kit cost, this common problem would occur...NEVER!

OK... My passenger exhaust nut(s) kept backing out like every month... But it only happen since my tranny was removed for all new clutch and accessories was replaced... My guess, might have broke a very nice tight fitting seal... After the clutch was replaced, every month approx. after that! I continued to take it to the shop to have them do it again since they are the ones who messed with the exhaust... This happen approx. 3 mo. Then finally on the fourth time, I tightened it!!! 3 weeks later... again... Took it back to the shop and he said FK IT! (***reminder! Everytime this happened it was backed out and removed and seize tight applied...and gasket ring replaced***) Sean at All American Street Car Performance had it! He said if it backs out now... SELL THE DAM CAR!!! Lmao!!! He repeated the steps before... REMOVED AND RE-APPLY WITH SEIZE TIGHT!!! But this time after tightening the nut, he ADDED ANOTHER NUT on top created a lock... Its now been over a month and it sounds GREAT! Now... Specific location to look for... Off the motor passenger side) exhaust manifold when it collects to a ball and joint connection to the exhaust... Those nuts right there! Very first ones to the X pipe kit... GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps everyone! and DAM BASSANI!!! lol! Nah... I love the sound and performance from Bassani... LOL!

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
HA HA HA!!! Yeah!!! That!!!! ^^^ I knew when I was writing it something wasn't right...LOL! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread