Exhaust Leak in catback

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Running a Magnaflow catback 15644 for about 5 years now, just recently developed an exhaust leak in one of the joints near the mufflers. I'm using the wide band clamps they included with the kit. Got them cranked about as tight as possible but at least one joint still leaks. Any suggestions? Go back to the "old-style" clamp and try that? Not really interested in welding it up...

Anabolic

Banned
since it's old.. when you replace it you'll probably just buy a new catback right?

just weld whatever is leaking.

or insted of the bad clamps just use a regualr exhaust clamp and tighten until it bends slightly..

Last edited:

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I had a similar issue with another car (Trans Am) . I used aluminum tape around the slip fit joint, then installed the band clamp. That was 3 years ago and it has never leaked since.

If you don't want to do that you could get some simple exhaust clamps from autozone, but then it's going to be a pain to remove the exhaust if needed.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
...I used aluminum tape around the slip fit joint, then installed the band clamp...
Just did this, will see how that works. Tricky part was, sliding the clamps back in place tends to tear the new tape, had to make a few patches to keep it sealed up. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread