Exhaust Help

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Hey guys, I have had my 5.0 for a few months now and the time has come where I cannot stand having the stock exhaust anymore. I originally was planning on getting the Roush axleback setup until I test drove a used 5.0 that had it. I loved the sound, but noticed that the tips stuck out from the rear diffuser way too far for me. After doing some research it looks to me like they were made with the '10/'11/'12 5.0s in mind and sit flush on those years but come out further on the 13 and 14. Has anyone else just used different tips? I have tossed around the idea of the GT500 axlebacks and ATAK mufflers as well. I don't plan on going crazy on the car, just intake exhaust and tune for the near future. If any of you guys have a different suggestion pleased share. I want to have a extremely aggressive exhaust but do not want drone or a "ricey" sound.

SteveC

Established Member
Hey guys, I have had my 5.0 for a few months now and the time has come where I cannot stand having the stock exhaust anymore. I originally was planning on getting the Roush axleback setup until I test drove a used 5.0 that had it. I loved the sound, but noticed that the tips stuck out from the rear diffuser way too far for me. After doing some research it looks to me like they were made with the '10/'11/'12 5.0s in mind and sit flush on those years but come out further on the 13 and 14. Has anyone else just used different tips? I have tossed around the idea of the GT500 axlebacks and ATAK mufflers as well. I don't plan on going crazy on the car, just intake exhaust and tune for the near future. If any of you guys have a different suggestion pleased share. I want to have a extremely aggressive exhaust but do not want drone or a "ricey" sound.

The tips do extend further on the 13 and 14's. The GT500's have no drone at all and are extremely popular. They sound really good too but they may not be as aggressive as you are looking for if you are looking at ATAK's. The ATAK is extremely aggressive but the Borla tips stick out even farther than the Roush does. You could always eliminate the resonators with the GT500's and that will open them up a bit. I have heard setups with LT's and O/R pipes and it reallllly wakes them up but I don't know if you are ever going to go that route. Another brand I have heard is pretty aggressive are Corsa's but I don't have any experience with them.

Mercilus

Established Member
I run the Flowmaster Outlaw series in mine i personally love them however 50-60 there is a drone and they are pretty loud in the car they dont stick out much and go with the flow of the car really well. Ill be dynomating the trunk area since my gt doesnt come with a spare to kill some of the hollow noise from the exhaust. Im running 3.73 gears in mine witht he 255/14/19 tires so 50-60 around 2krpm

Last edited:

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Roush AB on my 13 the simple solution to sticking out to far is cut a 1 1/2 off the tip on the muffler side so they slide on farther... This is what I did, problem solved.

Last edited:

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Awesome guys, thanks for the input! Still torn between which ones to go with but it's good to know the Roush tips sticking out is an easy fix....kinda wanna go Roush because I don't know what route I am going with the car in the future. Im still just trying to learn more about the car and this is my first MT...(always was a GM guy lol)

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
+1 for the GT500 + resonator delete!

I am new to these Stangs, so forgive me, but where is the resonator? I had surgery shortly after I purchased my 2013 so it's just sitting in the garage until I am able to drive it or even look it over completely.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I am new to these Stangs, so forgive me, but where is the resonator? I had surgery shortly after I purchased my 2013 so it's just sitting in the garage until I am able to drive it or even look it over completely.
The resonators sit jst in front of the diff beside the DS. They looks just like skinnier bullet mufflers, with dents in the bottom of them.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
If you want an extremely aggressive exhaust setup, go 7/8 ARH longtubes, o/r x pipe, and Lethal's resonator delete pipes. It'll be VERY loud and a little raspy (good and bad). Honestly it might be a little much for you. May have drone too.

The best way to go is probably starting off with the GT500's, they sound great and no drone. Should be loud enough for you but if not, like the others have said, do a resonator delete.

On an unrelated note.....I have a pair of GT500 AB's for sale if you want them :)

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
If you want an extremely aggressive exhaust setup, go 7/8 ARH longtubes, o/r x pipe, and Lethal's resonator delete pipes. It'll be VERY loud and a little raspy (good and bad). Honestly it might be a little much for you. May have drone too.

The best way to go is probably starting off with the GT500's, they sound great and no drone. Should be loud enough for you but if not, like the others have said, do a resonator delete.

On an unrelated note.....I have a pair of GT500 AB's for sale if you want them :)

Are they the quads you have listed?

BLK_5.0

Established Member

I would love to go with the first setup you listed, but my previous car (G8GT) had bad drone 50-65 and my fiance will kill me if make my Mustang the same way....Can't blame her tho. We drive from Atlanta to Michigan a few times a year and I refuse to drive her Chevy Cruze lol. Drone can make that 10+ hour trip ride even worse for someone who doesn't love the sound of a v8 :shrug:

And are they quads? Still not sure how I feel about cutting my bumper although i love the way they look.

Users who are viewing this thread