Exhaust help!!

455HO71

Established Member
I've enjoyed my Shelby so far but now getting the itch. So far, I've only put on the FRPP resonator delete and Roush axle back mufflers. These mufflers are l-o-u-d but I am looking for more. Near future mods will be either a VMP or Steeda power pkg (2.5mm pulley/90mm; 123-127 JLT CAI; tune). Here's my dilemma: a friend of mine has a brand new in box set of Kooks long tube headers and O/R pipe. There is no way I'm putting on long tubes, off-road pipe and those Roush mufflers. My ears will bleed! I want to keep the mufflers because I love the way they sound. If I go with the headers, get a high flow mid-pipe and possibly resonators before the axle, how will it sound? Too loud? I am a fan of loud but not overboard. I've seen some posts by others in another thread regarding the resonators but no one seems to have the Roush tail end. I just don't want to go through will the expense, work etc all to be disappointed with the sound whether it be too loud or sound terrible as a combo. I looked at a clip from stainlessworks.net and their full system with headers sounds amazing! It has the perfect blend of aggressiveness, noise and growl and it's not over the top.
Thanks for the help! ;-)

Cuda426

Established Member
You will need resonators with Kooks Long Tubes and off road pipe. I used Kooks racing mufflers as resonators right before the rear axle. They sound excellent. They will not make it too quiet if that is your concern.

IMG_4367_zps1ef85bdf.jpg

GT500Steve

Under Pressure
Established Member
The LTs with the Roush mufflers will be very loud. Resonators will help, but if you are considering a blower upgrade in the future I wouldn't spend the money on a catted mid pipe. Once you reach a certain power level they just dont hold up.

I run the Kooks LTs with O/R Xpipe and have been using Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers. It is relatively quiet while idling, can keep it quiet while driving if I want to, but at WOT it screams. I get a lot of compliments on the way my car sounds.

red gt500

Established Member
You will need resonators with Kooks Long Tubes and off road pipe. I used Kooks racing mufflers as resonators right before the rear axle. They sound excellent. They will not make it too quiet if that is your concern.

IMG_4367_zps1ef85bdf.jpg

do you have a sound vid for your Shelby?

buck24

Established Member
I have stainless works LT, o/r x pipe and kept the stock 2011 mufflers and I love it. I don't have a vid yet but can tell you I have no drone at any highway speed and when cruising at 72mph for 9 hours I was able to listen to the radio and talk on my phone through the sync system no problem. However when you step on it, people will hear it :)

455HO71

Established Member
I love the stainlessworks system...watched on youtube several times!
I have a couple of vids- soundwise of my car with the stock front end and roush mufflers. I'll see if I can post.

I was told the same thing about the cats not holding up over time. A long term plan is to possibly upgrade to a 5.8 TVS so I hear you. So with the O/R pipe, I'd need some sort of resonator before the axle and you think I'll be ok? Of course come emission testing time, I'll have to swap the stock system back on.

How can I post videos on here?

455HO71

Established Member
The Kooks headers and O/R pipe are still in their wrappers at my friend's house (he couldn't use them on his application) and he will sell to me for $700 brand new. Great price so I don't want to pass that up.
I spent much time researching which mufflers to buy and after the most positive feedback, I went with the Roush ones. I knew they were louder than many of the other brands and that was one reason I bought them. I'm just worried about too much noise or the quality of sound being compromised by the headers and O/R pipe...even with resonators.

Some people are telling me to leave the exhaust as it is now and just go ahead and get the VMP power pkg. Adding the exhaust isn't going to make a huge difference and I'm in for a headache with the work and a headache with the sound. Sigh. So confused!

buck24

Established Member
I love the stainlessworks system...watched on youtube several times!
I have a couple of vids- soundwise of my car with the stock front end and roush mufflers. I'll see if I can post.

I was told the same thing about the cats not holding up over time. A long term plan is to possibly upgrade to a 5.8 TVS so I hear you. So with the O/R pipe, I'd need some sort of resonator before the axle and you think I'll be ok? Of course come emission testing time, I'll have to swap the stock system back on.

How can I post videos on here?

I don't have resonators before mufflers but I am running stock mufflers, with an aftermarket set you may need them as it may be too loud.

455HO71

Established Member
Thanks, I've thought of the same thing. I'm pretty happy with the Roush mufflers so if anything, I'm either going to keep it as is or wait until I find someone with the same set up so I can see for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread