Exhaust Help!

5.0 guy

Established Member
Hi, new to the forum but curious which exhaust has been the most popular on the GT-500 so far. I did a full Bassani with mid length headers on my 03 and it definately turns heads but I'm curious of some of your opinions on this. My blk vert has only 200 miles on the clock but I do have a Steeda coil over kit and an Evolution stage 3 to be installed on Friday. Where I live in Colorado other than the owner of the Ford dealer I'm the only one with a GT-500, so I don't have anyone else around to compare with. The whimpy exhaust note makes the car feel neutered compared to some of my other vehicles!!!
Thanks John

Last edited:

smrtasp

Established Member
Check out YouTube for some sound clips. I personally wanted mine a little quieter than my 03 was. The fact that the mufflers are under the rear bumper will help a bit. The full JBA kits sound awesome but in CA I cant mess with the mid pipe so im starting with the full 3" catback. I havent seen anyone with just the catback yet so I will post a sound clip this weekend after the install is done.

6-Speed

Established Member
Check out YouTube for some sound clips. I personally wanted mine a little quieter than my 03 was. The fact that the mufflers are under the rear bumper will help a bit. The full JBA kits sound awesome but in CA I cant mess with the mid pipe so im starting with the full 3" catback. I havent seen anyone with just the catback yet so I will post a sound clip this weekend after the install is done.

Whose exhaust system are you going with - JBAs? I am considering the Magnaflow Axle-backs.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I'll check the JBA out, I almost did their complete exhaust on my 03 but did the Bassani instead. The Bassani sounds great with the headers but I think I'd like to install the X pipe with cats and here how it sounds. I'm also hearing that 03's get a power decrease without the cats. I look forward to hearing your sound clip, I want to do the whole system from the start including headers, with my luck I'll have a problem and have to remove them for service! I gave up reinstalling my Super Duty add ons since they have it as much as I do!!!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Lots of praise for the JBA's but check out the SGT axle back from FRPP. souds sweet with after markedt mid pipe......

5.0 guy

Established Member
I'm going to surf You Tube for exhaust clips to try to hear as many as I can this weekend. I love the car, but that suspension just plain sucks, in fact if I didn't see the hidden potential of the car on the test drive I would have passed purley on that issue. I love how my 03 vert handles with the iRS, I'm glad I didn't convert to a solid for strait line performance, it's a true work of art as it sits with the power add ons. After reading some of the past threads it seems that the stage 3 upgrades were a far better choice for a power increase than going with the exhaust first. I'm installing them on Saturday and the coil overs on Tuesday. If anything it needs a cat back immediately!:burnout:

5.0 guy

Established Member
One thing I have noticed that is similar to the 03 is that the more miles you log on the motor the louder it gets. I have about 237 on it now and its much louder than at 50. I do notice an injector type ticking sound on the driver side, do any of you have that? I did the Xpipe w/o cats on the 03 but think that maybe if I add the cats it won't cackle as much. My office just called and all my suspension and performance parts are in, looks like tomorrow will be a good day!

Last edited:

smrtasp

Established Member
I had the JBA catback installed Saturday AM. Sounds really nice but drones a lot under 2K RPM. At about 75, it sounds completely stock (from inside the car) so I am guessing my upcoming 3.73's will probably help some. I have to shift into 5th when dropping below 70 to save my ears. There is 0 popping/crackling during deceleration which I think is a plus. I’ve also got a rattle from the rear when things heat up so I'll be taking back on Tuesday AM to get that looked at. I doubt fixing the rattle will help the drone any but we’ll see. It’s not super loud at wide open throttle yet. There are a few tunnels near me and I used to run my 03 wide open and it was too loud. The JBA's sound good but kind of muffled at higher RPM's like SL55/65's. Kind of a loud rumble. It’s new so the sound will change a bit over the next couple hundred miles. I'll post a sound clip in a week or so.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
personally i like the sound of jba full exhaust.
a lot of people like the american racing headers as well.
stainless works is another great full exhaust system.

if i had a gt500 it would be between the jba and sw.:beer:
this is the full jba exhaust on the super snake...[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=1YKp92C_URw&feature=related"]YouTube - Shelby Gt 500 Super Snake[/ame]
this is the full sw exhaust...[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sgh-YK4e2T4"]YouTube - 2007 Shelby GT500 with lots of mods doing flyby at 100+ mph[/ame]
ar headers and borla mufflers...[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=K-eVNKhPgLU"]YouTube - Project PHOENIX Exhaust[/ame]

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
My coil over kit goes on in the morning so once that's complete I can concentrate on the cooling and exhaust mods. My 03 vert has a full Bassani with mid length headers, off road Xpipe and cat bat w/o silencers and it a little to much. I think having cats may quiet it up a bit without neutering the rumble. I ahve heard the JBA on the SS and it sounds great but I haven't heard the American Racing or Borla yet.

5.0 guy

Established Member
The Steeda complete front and rear with the Tokiko D series adjustables including new seats to avoid the popping when lowered,I'll post before and after picts tomorrow night when I pick her up. I like the fact that the height and stiffness is completely adjustable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread