Exhaust Diameter Question...CatBack...

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
Well, once again the Cat-Back System. :bash:

Just wondering if the old rule holds true that large diameter exhaust will provide the best HP numbers and smaller diameter exhaust will provide the best torque numbers. Does a SC motor negate the outcome of that old rule?

Related to MAC Cat-Back.....2.5" or 3".....is there a compelling reason to select one over the other?

TIA :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry about the 3" exhaust until you are well over 500hp.

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
go 2.5 inch it's cheaper, sounds the same, and as HISSMAN said 3 inch isn't needed until well over 5.

Slow

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
2.5" is sufficient for 600hp on pump gas.

The stock cam timing doesn't seem to favor ultra free flowing exhaust, so I wouldn't bother with the 3".

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
So...if I plan to Whipple@17# the ride in 6 mos, consider the 3"....

Know of any GOOD sound clips of the MAC?

Now, I have the SLP I....starting to sound a little high-pitched at upper RPM to me so I am considering the change. Seems like I heard the MAC sometime back and it sounded good. I am not interested in the high-tech, SS glasspacks of the Borla/Magna/SLP..... so looking to the deep-toned alternate :beer:

THKS :beer:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You could consider the 3", but with the Whipple, you will have no trouble with the SLP 2.5". If you want to add that "chambered" sound to it, add a Mac Pro-Chamber midpipe.

It will sound somewhat similar to the Borla Stingers with a ProChamber. Which to me, is very deep.

SSKillr

Established Member
I just ordered the mac 3" cat back. I plan on adding a 2.80" upper, predator tune, cold air intake, idlers, mid pipe. Think I will be fine with this set up or will I lose any performance #'s? Thanks!

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Down low it may hurt a little bit, but I have to give you one of these :shrug:, because I have no first hand experience.

Users who are viewing this thread