Exhaust - Corsa vs. Borla

T.O.Snake

Established Member
In the process of choosing upper and lower control arms, but as soon as that's taken care of, it's on to exhaust. Right now, I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two:

Corsa Sport Axleback: Corsa Performance Exhaust - CORSA Products

or

Borla "stinger" catback with crossover x-pipe: Stainless Steel Cat-Back + "X" pipe | 140320 | Ford Mustang 5.4L 8cyl - BORLA® - The World's Most Winning Exhaust

Bottom line is I'm looking for a stainless system that's not crazy-loud, and has as little drone as possible (both claim to excel in this area). I've had several guys say the Corsas sound great, but they're very pricey for an axleback. I was happy with the stinger catback I had on my 04 cobra, and this one for the GT500 isn't supposed to have the drone of that system. I've been told by a borla rep that the crossover pipe (which involves cutting the stock midpipe and bolting the crossover right behind the stock cats) smooths out the tone of the system, because GT500s are known to be a bit raspy with many exhausts.

Guess I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two systems, particularly the Corsas.

Thanks.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I would like to suggest maybe trying out the roush axle backs, they sound great no drone, and priced very reasonable..was in the same boat you were, had stingers on my 04 and they sounded great, and actually bought corsa but returned them after listing to a friends roush's...and might i add corsa's are overpriced imo, hence another reason i cancelled my order.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
i'll save you $. your stock mufflers sound amazing with a hi-flo X. i have the Corsa Sports and there's no drone on highway, but you will get rasp in the 2500-3k rpm range. do the X pipe first and see how you like the sound before you spend $ on mufflers. i've been through 4 sets of mufflers searching for the right sound. the Corsa's were great until my cats melted, very loud.

2Sharpie

Established Member
I would like to suggest maybe trying out the roush axle backs, they sound great no drone, and priced very reasonable..was in the same boat you were, had stingers on my 04 and they sounded great, and actually bought corsa but returned them after listing to a friends roush's...and might i add corsa's are overpriced imo, hence another reason i cancelled my order.

^^^^^ Roush hands down!!!

bull3441

Established Member
the Roush system is great if you keep the stock cats.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
You have a 2010....try just using the stock mufflers with Hi-flow cats. That is what I am running on my '09. Absolutely NO DRONE....sounds good. Give it a shot, you might just like it.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
It's funny, because I've heard from lots of guys that the roush system, while a good sound, has considerable drone. Granted, I think the majority were owners of the new 5.0 :shrug:

bull3441

Established Member
my father has a 2010 and just runs a hi-flo X and stock mufflers. if my '08 sounded like his i would've never did headers etc.

Dandy

Established Member
I have the Borla kit on my 2010, but I did not fully install it, i just put the mufflers on because I did not want to cut the stock exhaust midpipe. I think that it sounds great, a little louder than stock in the full noise range, without being over bearing. There is slightly more drone on the highway, but it is not ridiculous. You might have a different end product since I did not install the entire kit. It is a very well made kit and was easy to install. I am holding out for an offroad h-pipe.

bull3441

Established Member
Got any soundclips by chance? I'd love to get a sense of how it sounds.
no, but since you want an X, i'd again suggest you do that first. see how you like the sound, you can always get mufflers afterwards.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
no, but since you want an X, i'd again suggest you do that first. see how you like the sound, you can always get mufflers afterwards.

Well, as I said, the reason I'd consider that x-crossover on the borla (which leaves stock cats in place) is if it eliminated some raspiness in the system.

Reality is, I don't think I'd want to replace both the midpipe/cats AND catback as that would likely end up louder than I want with this car. I'd either be doing one or the other.

Can you describe the sound of your dad's car in some detail? Obviously it would be louder than stock, but how much say, compared to doing a catback and keeping the stock midpipe? Is the tone similar/deeper/higher pitched/raspy? How about drone while cruising on the highway, or in the dreaded 2k rpm range?

2Sharpie

Established Member
It's funny, because I've heard from lots of guys that the roush system, while a good sound, has considerable drone. Granted, I think the majority were owners of the new 5.0 :shrug:

Not at all......our cars (2010) use the Roush Extreme set up (Part #420025), which is a totally different from the Roush exhaust for the 2011 + models (Part #421127). No drone whatsover with the Extremes. You can search here and FORDGT500.com for a ton of info on the Roush.

IM3CPO

Established Member
I like Corsa

I have only been a GT500 owner for a little over a week now, so while I can't comment on Corsa's exhaust sound on the Mustang, I have used their exhausts on other cars (most recently a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 which is now gone due to the GT500) and I personally feel they are one of the very best out there. Their "no drone" is not a marketing gimick; they truly do not drone! The sound is also impressive yet not overwhealming. Corsa exhausts always seem to be higher priced than alternatives, but again, I feel they are worth the extra cost if you want to know for sure you won't get in car drone, still want an agressive sound, and know you have a very high quality stainless steel exhaust.

If you do go down this route, could you take some audio clips of the before and after?

TexasShelby

Established Member
I've had my Corsa's on since late 06...I chose them for their sound, no drone and in normal driving, they were quiet, but had a little bark when you got on them. They have performed flawlessly without problems. I would send you a sound bite, but late last year I installed a Lethal hi-flow cat x pipe and the sound was unbearably loud, so I installed some magnaflow resonators and it's the best sound I've heard; live with my ears. Other Shelby owners, even with Corsa's ask about it. It's definitely a great sound. But originally, the Corsas are great mufflers..

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Not at all......our cars (2010) use the Roush Extreme set up (Part #420025), which is a totally different from the Roush exhaust for the 2011 + models (Part #421127). No drone whatsover with the Extremes. You can search here and FORDGT500.com for a ton of info on the Roush.

Is that roush extreme system not an off-road system (no cats)? It looks like it in that pic, and if so, I def need/want to keep cats.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I've had my Corsa's on since late 06...I chose them for their sound, no drone and in normal driving, they were quiet, but had a little bark when you got on them. They have performed flawlessly without problems. I would send you a sound bite, but late last year I installed a Lethal hi-flow cat x pipe and the sound was unbearably loud, so I installed some magnaflow resonators and it's the best sound I've heard; live with my ears. Other Shelby owners, even with Corsa's ask about it. It's definitely a great sound. But originally, the Corsas are great mufflers..

Thanks for the reply. When you said they were "quiet" in normal driving (I assume you're running the sports and not the touring system?) does that mean there's little increase in sound vs. stock when accelerating, only not at WOT? While I don't want a "wake the dead" system, I'd like it to be noticeably different when accelerating, even if I'm not flogging it at 100%. Nice to get more confirmation about the no-drone topic, because that's big for me. I have a 4 year old who rides in the back, so I don't want to be deafening him.

I have only been a GT500 owner for a little over a week now, so while I can't comment on Corsa's exhaust sound on the Mustang, I have used their exhausts on other cars (most recently a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 which is now gone due to the GT500) and I personally feel they are one of the very best out there. Their "no drone" is not a marketing gimick; they truly do not drone! The sound is also impressive yet not overwhealming. Corsa exhausts always seem to be higher priced than alternatives, but again, I feel they are worth the extra cost if you want to know for sure you won't get in car drone, still want an agressive sound, and know you have a very high quality stainless steel exhaust.

If you do go down this route, could you take some audio clips of the before and after?

Will do. Thanks for the contribution.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Is that roush extreme system not an off-road system (no cats)? It looks like it in that pic, and if so, I def need/want to keep cats.

It's called "Extreme Off-Road" but it doesn't go anywhere near our cats ...I believe its just labeled such because of the muffler-delete it uses. Cats remain, and it comes with freer-flowing midpipes that contain resonators built in. Its F'ing awesome.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
It's called "Extreme Off-Road" but it doesn't go anywhere near our cats ...I believe its just labeled such because of the muffler-delete it uses. Cats remain, and it comes with freer-flowing midpipes that contain resonators built in. Its F'ing awesome.

So it's got no mufflers, only resonators? It must be loud as fugg, no?

And it really has no drone?

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Again....just go with a hi-flow catted X or H and see if you like it. If it's not loud enough then look for mufflers to go with it. The '10 mufflers with Hi-flow cats will give you what you are asking for.....NO DRONE, good idle, scream at WOT, stock-like cruising sound but more aggressive, nice start-up growl.

Users who are viewing this thread