Exhaust Clip Vid after Heads/Cam... on the V6

blainestang

Established Member
Risking the ridicule for even OWNING a V6, here's a quick exhaust clip video of my Heads/Cam 3.8L V6 that I just put together. Definitely no V8, but I've tried to keep the tell-tale V6 rasp down to a minimum by sticking with Cobra take-off exhaust (non-IRS, obviously) rather than an aftermarket setup. All the pertinent details are in the vid. So, what do you all think? I can take it. :-D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IG0_d-wswyM

Jefe

Established Member
clicking on the link :worried: Wow that sound pretty good. How much improvement #'s wise?

Last edited:

blainestang

Established Member
Thanks, guys...

I haven't had it to the track, yet, for a couple reasons... one of which being it still has the open diff... but I did have it dyno-tuned.

Prior to the H/C setup, it made ~170whp, and it now makes ~220whp/~215wtq. Torque seems kinda low, even for the 3.8, but I can't complain about a ~50whp gain.

blainestang

Established Member
BLWN DSG said:
the lopping cam sounds really good but the exhaust just needs to bbe a bit deeper sounding.

Yeah, just trying to make the best of what it's got. It's certainly never going to have the deep sound of the 5.4 in my Harley F-150. Nice truck, btw.

Jefe

Established Member
and what does something like that run? Nice improvement for sure!

blainestang

Established Member
03AZRoush said:
and what does something like that run? Nice improvement for sure!

There are no aftermarket heads for the 3.8, so I got milled P&P stock heads w/ high(er)-lift springs for ~$750 or so... maybe $1200 or so if they were new. Also, the cam is a Billet Cam from Comp Cams (spec'ed by Matt @ Delk Performance... who just had his 9.8-second V6 in MM&FF this month, btw), and that was $300 or so.

Other stuff like gaskets and pushrods (if necessary) is another few hundred bucks, probably, and I did the swap myself, mostly, so it could certainly be done for under $2k even with all new parts.

I guess I probably actually would have spent $1500 or so on necessities, not including all the extra tools I bought since I had the excuse, things like cracked water pumps (used the Ford tq specs :fm:), and the damage from a cam that didn't have the oil passage drilled all the way through :fm: :fm: ... which was NOT from Delk, btw. It was from RPM-Mustangs, who has completely ignored me since it happened several months ago. But anyway, back on topic. :-D

musclefan21

Established Member
220rwhp with v6 = almost as fast as 99-04 GT. just get gears and yoou are all set!:rockon:

blainestang

Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

And yeah, it's making similar power to stock New Edge GT's... it just depends how my torque disadvantage and weight advantage play out. Plus, the open differential certainly isn't helping either. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I get it to the track, for sure. I'll be sure to update this when it happens.

Faster150 said:
damn sounds good man how much was the cam?

The cam was $300-$350. Spec'ed and ordered through Matt @ Delk Performance, and manufactured by Comp Cams.

wikedcobra312 said:
nice, i used to have a v6, it was supercharged with a custom front mount and 75 shot. it was okay, but it wasnt a v8, and for all that i put into it, it was still slow.

Split Port or Single Port? What kind of power/times?

And yeah, I mean, almost always, the GT is going to be faster with any given set of mods, but I plan on keeping the 6 since it was my first Mustang, and so I figured it might as well be a decently quick driver. The Notch will be the "fast" car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread