excessive popping in exhaust at idle?

bearster18

Established Member
This thing has what sounds like a misfire sitting at idle and only at idle. If driving down the road it drives smooth as silk. It's always kinda done it a little but since I installed the s/c, bigger injs, tr6 plugs, ect its gotten far more noticeable. No misfire codes or anything have come up either. Just makes my car sounds like *** sitting there idling. Anyone else run into this issue?

Factory coils with ford plug wires and tr6 plugs is the ign system. My tuner said he's had a few other 96-98 cobras do the same thing without issue. What do you guys think?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Can you make a video? I've always kinda noticed it in mine as well. Never has had any other ignition problems throughout the rpm range. I do remember a buddy of mine saying that cars always idle slightly differently after installing a turbo or supercharger for some reason

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
It seems that all modular engines have a distinct off beat sound/note at idle. Mostly from the right side. I think it is from the extra timing between cylinder three and four in the firing order. Now if the car sounds like a real slight miss or pop at idle, it could be a burnt exhaust valve or an exhaust valve not fully seating and seal properly. It could be spotted in a compression or leak down test. It probably won't cause to much of a problem for now, but could cause some damage down the road. Good Luck and keep us updated...

bearster18

Established Member
I'll try to get a video tonight after I finish up the intercooler install. Like it'll affect the idling of the veh and drop rpm a bit as it does it. Then will settle back down and hold steady idle. It's always had it since I can remember but after the s/c install much more drastic. I get a dyno tune next week so maybe I can have them datalog it and possibly find a more precise area for it.

CzchMex

Established Member
Have you checked your spark plugs? If they are dirty or old they can cause that. It doesn't fire enough causing un-burned fuel to burn off completely as it's exiting the valve and traveling into the exhaust. What you hear is the pressure change from that burn off in the exhaust.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
My cobra does it to, especially on a nice cold start. This was after my motor was built. Then it smooths out! I cleaned my MAF and it helped a little bit. Doesnt affect my performance at all. I would like to know as well.

97snakebite

Established Member
my car also misses or sounds like it misses when i cold start.. after about 1-2 min of idle it goes to normal.. must be a b head thing

J&JIndustrial

Established Member
My 97 cobra kenne bell does the same thing at idle then idle goes to around 1k Rpms and smooths out don't really like it that much changed plugs still there

03Steve

Established Member
Base fuel table cold sounds like it is causing havoc on you LLXx guys. Lean popping perhaps. Ask your tuner...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine makes a very noticeable popping sound at idle. My tuner said it's the tight gap on my spark plugs causing the popping sound at idle. He said it's no big deal. I have TR6's gapped at .028

Prototype007

Established Member
My current 97 Cobra does this and it's stock other than SVO/Borla side exits, but the old one didn't and it had flows dumped before the rear axle (very loud).

Users who are viewing this thread