excessive oil consumption question

hireman

Established Member
Hi Guys. My car has used more oil than I thought it should since I bought it. I always just kept it topped off but never really measured exactly how much till the last couple oil changes. Its using 2 qts every 3k miles. That seems excessive to me . Cars got 23k miles on it . dont really beat on it much but I do drive it pretty hard sometimes. The only time I notice any smoke is between shifts done at high rpm , especially if powershifted. Its like a big puff for lack of a better ( or less girly ) term. It is tuned w/ off road x . No smoke on start up, none under acceleration that I can see. Its not leaking anywhere, under car is dry as a bone. Should I even bother going to the dealer with it...it doesnt seem like a number 8 problem, cars got plenty of power ....any ideas??

JerryC

Established Member
Manual trans?

Do you do a lot of engine braking?

Like running the back roads and letting the engine slow you down in the corners, and when coming to a light.

tmc95

FFW Money Winner
Established Member
Mine is a 2011 automatic and I do a lot of manual downshifting at lights and corners. I have the same consumption experience. In thought it might be the extreme Dallas heat this summer as well. Net/net.....just keeep and eye on the dipstick and top it up whenever it needs it.

JerryC

Established Member
Why is this happening? School me please

I don't know for sure, but I've noticed that the high oil users were most manual trans people. On my car the only time I used a measuable amount of oil in a short period was when I was ran my car through the backroads and manually shifting the auto and using grade assist, which does a lot of engine braking.

Guessing that it pull high vacuum on the engine braking and sucks oil through the PCV system, I could be way wrong though.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Guessing that it pull high vacuum on the engine braking and sucks oil through the PCV system, I could be way wrong though.

This "seems" to be the culprit. The only time My mustang has consumed measurable amounts of oil was on track where engine breaking occurs in excess. I went through about 3/4 of a quart over a weekend of running the car, which is about what all my other modular engined mustangs have consumed.

hireman

Established Member
Wow...I do a lot of downshifting. My question is where is it going....it not smoking except for the puff when powershifting. Using 2 qts you would think it would be smoking quite a bit more wouldn't it?????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm sure you're doing this already, but it's good to cover all the basis. Your readings are being done during like engine conditions right?

You'll see a different result from an engine that's cold and has been sitting for a day vs an engine that is hot and just turned off, as you would also see a difference from an engine that is still hot but has been sitting for half an hour or so.

Keep in mind that the heads on these cars hold a ton of oil, so if you're not checking the oil in the same manor each time, that could give you results that look off.

Always check your oil in the same operating condition. Personally, I like to go for about 15 minutes after the vehicle has been at operating temperature. This gives you a warm reading and enough time to have most of the oil drain back to the pan.

hireman

Established Member
That's what I have been doing. Running it as normal then checking after 15 min sitting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JerryC

Established Member
If it takes 15 minutes for all of the hot 5w-20w oil to drain back to the pan, it's no wonder it needs 8 quarts. :)

scott_0

Established Member
I do a fair amount of downshifting/engine braking and my car doesnt use any oil so thats not it Im pretty sure

trendkilllx

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra with 75k miles and oil level does not drop between changes, every 3k miles, You could check with ford service to see what they consider abnormal oil consumption

Users who are viewing this thread