Ex Highway Patrol car value?

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
There is a ex hiway patrol car for sale in my area, and I was wondering what you guy's know about these cars, and how to verify it a real one etc.
What I know-92 coupe-blue-5 spd-160mph speedo(calibrated)-1 key for door,trunk,ignition-grey int- The dealer thinks it has the better radiator and alternator. He not sure on mileage(shows 50k)
I havn't seen it yet but I will in about a week. Don't SSP mustangs have an engine cooler also? Also has 2000R 4 lug wheels
He's asking $6500 I've been thinking about getting a coupe for a while now and this car may interest me.
Any help on some info on these cars would be great guys.
Vin# 1FACP40E1NF131914
Thanks, Kurt

buddha93

Established Member
Just my opinion, but depending on the shape of the car, $6500 isn't by any means a lot of cash for an ex-cop Mustang. I remember one of the other features of those cars is a reinforced floor pan under the seats, as well as the blue radiator hoses.

Is it a Missouri car?

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
He did say it had blue radiator hoses.:) His carfax said Kansas title at some point but not sure what state it patroled for.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The SSP coupe should have a million mile speedo. so the seller should be able to tell you how many miles are on it.

SSP will have 2 buck tags on the radiator support behind the left headlight.

The blue hoses,130 amp alternator and auto trans were optional equipment.

All SSP will have the reinforced floorpans, heavy duty clutch fan, extra ground straps on hood/trunk, 4cyl seats, 10 hole wheels & 160mph Cert. Cal Speedo.

buddha93

Established Member
I got pulled over by one and sat in the front seat of one back in the early 90's while the cop wrote the ticket. He pulled me over in my first mustang, an 89' LX. I was hoping he'd give me a break after talking about our cars, but no such luck. I just remember him saying something along the lines of "Ya, you've got to watch these things. They'll get away from you."

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
The SSP coupe should have a million mile speedo. so the seller should be able to tell you how many miles are on it.

SSP will have 2 buck tags on the radiator support behind the left headlight.

The blue hoses,130 amp alternator and auto trans were optional equipment.

All SSP will have the reinforced floorpans, heavy duty clutch fan, extra ground straps on hood/trunk, 4cyl seats, 10 hole wheels & 160mph Cert. Cal Speedo.

Thanks for the info. But what is a buck tag? Also can anyone run a carfax or autockeck for me?
Thanks, Kurt

buddha93

Established Member
A buck tag is nothing more that a metal plate that is either rivited or spot welded to the car that has the VIN stamped on it, in addition to other various ID numbers that give specifics about the car.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The SSP cars have 2 tags because one of them has the normal vehicle info. and the other one will have "POLICE" stamped in it or what law enforcement unit ordered it... it could be a state, city, or military unit.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
The SSP cars have 2 tags because one of them has the normal vehicle info. and the other one will have "POLICE" stamped in it or what law enforcement unit ordered it... it could be a state, city, or military unit.

Thanks again, Well if I find that buck tag with the state police info etc. then I'll know for sure then. Any idea on a fair offer on it would be? Of course I don't know the true mileage yet. He's asking $6500

Last edited:

1993R

Established Member
A buddy of mine has a 1984 FHP SVO prepped Mustang. It's an interceptor with a cage in it. Paperwork from SVO says"Top Speed: Unknown". Was clocked in the day via radar near O Town at 163 mph.He is going to sell it to me one day soon. It needs some restro work but I have some plans for it......

81malibu

WhiteakerMalibu
Established Member
Someone here wants to trade his mint ssp for my not so mint cobra,I would like to have a coupe again.But I dont want to give up my cobra.I think six and a half grand is a good deal if it has low miles and is in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread