evo vs. 350z

bmfgsxr

Established Member
not much of a great story but i was headed home from a long day at a company outing yesterday. i was tired as hell at about 9pm.. im cruising along the highway at about 75ish and i come up on a 350z with a body kit, exhaust, and who knows what else. anyhow, we get up to a clear section of road and he pulls up along side of me (couldnt see him as we both have tinted windows) and then he nails it. i was already in 4th waiting for this to go down and i went after him and proceeded to pass him with quickness. unfortunately my exit was coming up because we had a nice section of straight road without many cars on it as he came back up along side of me.. but i was too tired to have to drive all the way up to the next exit to turn around..

btw, im bone stock.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Nice kill. Stockish 350Zs are pretty easy for the Evo IXs. Keep up he good work.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
unfortunately i havent had any real fun yet against other cars since i got it. but this was cool, even if it didnt last very long.

as far as stock ix's normally they run low 13's with an average operator, but a skilled operator can take a stock ix into the high 12's.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Who cars about ET.. its awd...and this was a roll on... what kind of trap speeds?? still right around 103mph?

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
Juice33 said:
Stockish 350Zs are pretty easy for the Evo IXs.

Not if the 350z is a 2007 model. 105-106mph trap speeds bone stock. It's a very close race.

Good kill.. Most likely it was an older model if he had a body kit on it. Considering they only trap 100-101mph then it would be a pretty easy kill.

I ran another 350z on saturday night, he had a full wide body kit and some really wide chrome 20" rims. All I have done is an intake and I put 1.5 cars on him, mainly just because of his heavy rims.

mysticalsnake

Established Member
if it's an 06+ 350Z it'll have L.E.D. tail lights...03-05 all have a normal red lense...and the 06+'s also have different headlights...i just don't know what about them is different

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
mysticalsnake said:
if it's an 06+ 350Z it'll have L.E.D. tail lights...03-05 all have a normal red lense...and the 06+'s also have different headlights...i just don't know what about them is different
287 HP ON THE 03/05 AND 300 HP ON THE 06+ I BELIEVE

fusionchicken

Established Member
IX's trap 103-106mph on average.

a 350z i ran, 05 anniversary, with intake and test pipe puts like 2 cars on non-rev up stock Z's....when i had turbo back exhaust and boost controller only on my IX i pulled a car on him from 60mph, but once i shift into 5th the pull stops, though he never gains on me

bmfgsxr

Established Member
here are some stats for the evo ix

Top speed : 156 mph(electronically limited) edit: its actually redline limited as there is no govenor.
0-60 mph : 4.4 sec.
0-¼ mile : 12.9 sec @ 106.2 mph
60-0 braking distance : 110 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.98 g

im not sure what year this was, but his tail lights were very dim. they almost looked like they were blown as i could barely see them, so im thinking they were aftermarket.

i dont consider 350z's to be slow cars. they are pretty quick imo. but when you compare them to a cobra, or c6 its not the same type of comparison.

we did a short blast from about 70mph to a little over 100. he got the jump and i caught and passed him.. as i said in my original post it wasnt a great race or anything, moreso just horsing around. but it was fun nonetheless.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Good kill... who got the 12.9 @ 106mph? I couldnt find anything that flattering save for the MR and I think it was a 13.1 .. just curious...

Nice numbers either way...

bmfgsxr

Established Member
those stats are from a website called modernracer.com

the mr is a 6 speed, but its widely known that unless your seriously modified you dont go higher than 4th gear in the evo through the 1320'. the evo viii 5spd has different gearing than the ix. the ix gearing is virtually the same for the first 4 gears for the 5spd and the mr (both viii and ix mr). so it doesnt make much of a difference whether your running an evo mr, or a standard ix through the 1/4.

with that said, there have been a number of people on the evolution message board to break into the 12's bone stock (with the ix not the viii).. in the drag racing forum you can research and find peoples stock times. the last one i have seen was for a guy who ran a 12.9 @106 bone stock.. here is his slip with a tbe, mbc, k&n drop in filter, and a tune by turbo trix.
R/T .230
60' 1.772
330 5.086
1/8 7.531
MPH 90.68
1000 10.028
1/4 11.982
MPH 115.9

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
S8ER95Z said:
Good kill... who got the 12.9 @ 106mph? I couldnt find anything that flattering save for the MR and I think it was a 13.1 .. just curious...

Nice numbers either way...

It has been done, with a very good driver of course, and the MR is not faster than the GSR (regular Evo) or the RS, they all have the same engine with the same power output at the same RPMs. I believe the MRs are actually a little slower in the 1/4 mile than the GSR and RS, due to being slightly heavier. But the MRs are faster around a road course. Now that I have the MR suspension on my GSR, I have the best of both worlds though.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
you most certainly need a good driver to hit those times.. an average operator is only going to run in the low 13's.. but in that last post i made the guy only pulled a 1.77 60' and still dropped into the 11's (on all season tires i believe too).

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
here are some stats for the evo ix

Top speed : 156 mph(electronically limited) edit: its actually redline limited as there is no govenor.
0-60 mph : 4.4 sec.
0-¼ mile : 12.9 sec @ 106.2 mph
60-0 braking distance : 110 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.98 g

im not sure what year this was, but his tail lights were very dim. they almost looked like they were blown as i could barely see them, so im thinking they were aftermarket.

i dont consider 350z's to be slow cars. they are pretty quick imo. but when you compare them to a cobra, or c6 its not the same type of comparison.

we did a short blast from about 70mph to a little over 100. he got the jump and i caught and passed him.. as i said in my original post it wasnt a great race or anything, moreso just horsing around. but it was fun nonetheless.
now that's a mean little car..and yes the z's do not compare

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
you most certainly need a good driver to hit those times.. an average operator is only going to run in the low 13's.. but in that last post i made the guy only pulled a 1.77 60' and still dropped into the 11's (on all season tires i believe too).

Which one of your cars felt faster from a dig? The lightning or the new EVO IX?

Just wondering.. Sweet car btw. :rockon:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
thanks man.. well i havent really learned to launch the evo yet. although i did attempt one hard launch and the evo shot out of the hole faster than my L could have, but i could smell the clutch bad after that so i havent attempted another launch yet. i could get out of the hole pretty quick in the L, and i had a #4 pulley on there and that truck pulled like a freight train.. the evo pulls really good once the revs get over 3k (redline is 7k), but the L pulled hard from down low. i do miss the power delivery of the L, but the evo's power delivery is fun in a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread