Evo ran 11.76@118 on DRs and suspension

jtfx6552

Established Member
I still think they're having issues with the launch. 1.77 60' on DRs isn't good. I don't care if they're supposed to be experienced, something's not right there. Stock tune MPH for them was as high as 121. Now, they're at 118 on a race gas tune? Seems like it's bogging to me.
Car has no low end torque. I'm surprised it 60 footed that well.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I agree fully. That's exactly what I've been saying. It's going to be hard to launch because it makes less really low end torque than even a Boss 302, and it weighs more. It has a lighter rotating assembly and clutch, so you lose inertial advantages on launch. The car is either going to bog or spin with very little middle ground.

Last edited:

NoSloCoupe

Established Member
If the mags didn't test the 350 on a drag strip using the timing system, the mph debate is useless. They more than likely used a VBOX which often reads higher (1-3+mph) than the strips timing system.

The drag strip measures mph by averaging between the last 2 cones vs the vbox mph at the the 1/4 point. Et will usually be close.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
How does low low end torque matter when it's launching at 5k/6k+ rpms where there is plenty of torque?

I'd love to see some videos of them launching to be able to tell you that. They're either bogging at low RPM, spinning at high RPM, or slipping the piss out of the clutch at high RPM. If they were dead hooking on a side step at 6 grand, then that thing would be flying out of the hole.

Just to clear up some of my comments, I really think this car is going to be tough to get a good quarter mile pass out of. However, that doesn't bother me in the least, and I still want one. That doesn't mean I'm above analyzing these runs to figure out what's going on with the car. It would be cool if it did make a nice pass and surprise me. I think 12.0 in 100% stock trim for the non R is going to be about the quickest it gets.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
With tires it should be sticking regardless of the dump. There's no reason it should not be 1.6x stock tune 93 gas.
No it's not going to set 1320 on fire but it should run better than ford ran on stock tires. Properly set up dr will net you more mph than stock tire.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
You say properly set up. I'm just spit balling here, but what are the chances that all these companies rushed out there to be the "first" and quite frankly just didnt have the cars set up right? In my mind, just because you throw a radial and "race gas" tune on a car, it doesn't make it a "race car." I feel i've made it quite clear that I'm not concerned with the 1/4 times or MPH as i do more road racing, but seriously ... you guys are getting all sorts of bent out of shape over this. Its a brand new car, on still a relatively new platform. I'd say just give it time and you'll see the numbers you want.

Hell, why do any of you bother going to the track looking for a new PR if you should be able to just nail it first time out?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I would agree. Evo does not make their money on stock or near stock times. Actually the slower the stock time helps because it's their mods are that much better. And to cut 2 seconds off their time with their mods looks better than only knocking off 1.5 sec with their mods.
Ex: 12.0 to 10.0 rather than 11.5 to 10.0.

jtfx6552

Established Member
With out a torque converter in the middle, the engine can't be at 5 or 6 k with the wheels turning 0 RPM, obviously.

To try to hold the engine at the rpm at which its close to or at peak torque, at a speed lower than the car should be going at that rpm requires clutch slip.

It would take one hell of a clutch to take the abuse of launching that heavy car while the engine stays at 5K and the car catches up to the speed it should be going at 5000+ RPM.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I had dozens of passes on my 03 Cobra with the stock clutch and DRs. I had a pulley, CAI, tune, catless h, cat back, and a couple of IRS braces. My best launches were a complete side step at 4500-5000, then immediately flooring it. I consistently pulled high 1.6 60' times. So, it's not that crazy of an idea on all stock cars. I'm not saying that's going to work for the GT350, just that it's ok to drive it out of the hole like you're trying to break it on the stock clutch.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
I had dozens of passes on my 03 Cobra with the stock clutch and DRs. I had a pulley, CAI, tune, catless h, cat back, and a couple of IRS braces. My best launches were a complete side step at 4500-5000, then immediately flooring it. I consistently pulled high 1.6 60' times. So, it's not that crazy of an idea on all stock cars. I'm not saying that's going to work for the GT350, just that it's ok to drive it out of the hole like you're trying to break it on the stock clutch.

Me too, I found that with the 2.93 pulley that resulted in low 1.7 60 fts, I had to go to the 2.75 to get in the 1.6s. Look at the torque of a pullied terminator vs the GT350, like I said, I'm surprised they got that good of a 60 ft.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
In the time I watched that video, the views increased by 3000.

I think it was more than just us waiting lol.

Users who are viewing this thread