evo ix vs. tt audi s4

bmfgsxr

Established Member
well im on my way yesterday from work and i see an s4 zipping through traffic. all i can see is that he has an exhaust and i dont know any other mods. traffic was dense so nothing crazy happened, then i had a break and got out in front of traffic but he got stuck. so about another mile up the road (im going slow in 3rd waiting for him) i see him flying up on me, and i tap the brakes for him to slow. so he slowed down and we had open road in front of us. windows down at around 55ish and he says 3 honks. so we both start to honk it off, then we restart with me honking. now this is the first time ive actually gotten a chance to line up with someone and get an even start, usually its both going wfo at about the same time so i was a bit excited. anyhow, i honk it off, but didnt brake boost or anything so he got an initial jump on me by maybe a half a car (besides the fact that i hesitated until i saw him hit it since i didnt want to get a jump). anyhow, i was able to close that half a car gap to the point where i was at his rear bumper, but we had to let off due to traffic. it was a good run though since i went from the bottom of third to the top of 4th. a little more road and i might pulled up a little more, but who knows.. it was a fun death, although next time ill let the other guy honk it off so i can focus on brake boosting, and i wont hesitate. ;)

btw, im bone stock.

Common

Established Member
S4's are great, don't really care much for the NA ones, but the tt's can be made verry quick with just a few simple mods.

JWC

Established Member
I test drove an 07 S4 and really liked the car but my wife thought it was to small so I ended up getting her the 08 S6. The S4 (NA) one's have a 4.2 V8 that sounds awsome and puts out 340 hp so nice run. How did you know he had exhaust?

bmfgsxr

Established Member
yeah, the newer models look better to me, but the tt's can be darn quick. i think if i would have had a better start it would have been my race, but i didnt, and i lost.. no worries though, ill do better next time. ;)

JWC

Established Member
I wish I could remember what site.... but they have a video clip of a S4 with a supercharger comming through the the woods at WOT and it sounds wicked. I think its pushing 540 hp or so. Oh, and the EVO's as you know can be very fast there is a guy on the Porsche site that runs 10.2's in his EVO!

adean1979

Established Member
I wish I could remember what site.... but they have a video clip of a S4 with a supercharger comming through the the woods at WOT and it sounds wicked. I think its pushing 540 hp or so. Oh, and the EVO's as you know can be very fast there is a guy on the Porsche site that runs 10.2's in his EVO!

I think you're thinking of the RS4 with the MTM supercharger on it. Search youtube for RS4 with MTM supercharger and it should pop up. I'd post the link but I can't view youtube at work. The performance of the RS4 (compared to Stage III S4) is blah but those cars would be sick if they came stock with that supercharger :) The B5 S4 modding is starting to get really interesting. Since they came out, not many people were touching the engine internals. Now people are rebuilding the motors and putting on bigger turbos (GT28 Garretts and the Borg-Warner turbos from the RS6 V8 bi-turbo). I think you're going to see faster and faster twin turbo S4s. The new B8 S4 will supposedly have a 3.0L twin turbo so Audi will return with forced induction

16kOrBust

Established Member
Sounds like a great race. Nice death. Anyone have numbers or specs for the car he raced?

bmfgsxr

Established Member
its a 2.7L tt v6 that puts out 250 HP @ 5,800 rpm; 258 ft lb , 350 Nm @ 1,850 rpm (that could explain why he got a good initial jump on me with that tq so low in the rpm range). i think stock its a mid 14 second car from what i can find on the net.. based on how this guys car ran id guess he not only has exhaust but higher boost pressure and tuning as well.

evo connevo

Established Member
He probably had an apr or giac chip done. They trap around 98-100 stock so he would need some mods to pull you.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Very interesting. I don't know how impressed I am with a TT V6 putting out 250/258 at the flywheel, but I would imagine it has some serious potential if the motor is strong enough to handle the power.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
yeah, it doesnt sound to badass in stock form, but increasing boost, and letting that sucker breathe a bit better helps a ton.

Catfood

Established Member
Yeah the s4 you raced must have been chipped at least to stay even with you. They run 14 seconds stock in the quarter, but if you swap there little turbos out for K04s (turbos off of RS4) the S4 can drop into the 12 second range in the quarter and have over 450 horses.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
TT s4's can be damn fast, I went at it with one that had upgraded turbo's and full exhaust. We raced like 6 times with him beating me twice.

primetime

Established Member
its a 2.7L tt v6 that puts out 250 HP @ 5,800 rpm; 258 ft lb , 350 Nm @ 1,850 rpm (that could explain why he got a good initial jump on me with that tq so low in the rpm range). i think stock its a mid 14 second car from what i can find on the net.. based on how this guys car ran id guess he not only has exhaust but higher boost pressure and tuning as well.

Nice race. You probably would have pulled him if the race kept going. Mine ran 13.8 - 14.0 102-103 in decent weather with 93 octane tune, and exhaust. It's a shitty tip. Didn't buy it new/stock so my guess would be 14.2 - 14.5 again its auto. With 100 octane tune, exhaust, tip chip, upgraded diverter valves, and intake it's runs 13.3's. The turbos just don't cut it as they are too small. A 6-speed car will be about .5 faster with the above mods. A buddy has a 6-speed 2001 S with K04's, RS4 coolers, downpipes, exhaust, 100+ octane tune, fuel system, and other odds and ends. It runs low 11's at 118-120. They can be made fast but it still isn't cheap. Beautiful interiors and nice rides as is typical in Audis. later Ron

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good info ron. this was a 6speed as i could hear him shifting, and who knows what mods. i think that if we kept going i would have caught him, but that initial jump he had was impressive, partly my fault for waiting to hear him hit it, but he still pulled pretty good from the hit. seemed like the s4 doesnt suffer from turbo lag at all.

adean1979

Established Member
Stock - 250 HP
Stage I (chip) - 310 HP
Stage II (chip/exhaust) - 315 HP
Stage II+ (chip/exhaust/downpipes) - 330 HP
Stage III (K04 turbo upgrade/fueling/exhaust/downpipes) on pump gas - 450 HP
Stage III (K04 turbo upgrade/fueling/exhaust/downpipes) on race gas - 500 HP or more

These are approximate numbers at the crank. The B5 S4 can be modified to be really quick. There are quite a few guys running mid-high 11s. Lots of people running low 12s. There's a guy in NY (Marc) with a stripped S4 running high 10s. AutoSpeed Performance in Jersey just announced their new RS6 turbo package for the B5 S4. They modified the RS6 turbos to fit the B5 S4 hardware. They're predicting around 500 hp to the wheels. The B5s are really coming down in price and are a great platform for modding. They're just going to get faster and faster.

Users who are viewing this thread