Every silver lining has a cloud

twawsico

Established Member
So I got around to putting the new rear wheels with NT05Rs on, replacing the Invos that I'd been running.

4E5578D9-B06D-4923-899A-C0B23AF5BAB7_zpsikluhamz.jpg

F0593EFC-C0F7-4405-AD5F-88517FF2BC4C_zpsqiuaai9z.jpg

Only then did I look to see that the pothole that I hit 2 or 3 weeks ago actually bent the inside of my RF wheel. :cuss: Pothole on black asphalt off-ramp at night. Like a ninja attack... I never saw it coming.

80801FD4-FC90-4976-874D-9C2497569666_zpsalbncpee.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wonder if a wheel shop could fix the wheel? If it is not cracked, it may be worth a try.
I am surprised that the tire installer didn't notice the damage.

twawsico

Established Member
I wonder if a wheel shop could fix the wheel? If it is not cracked, it may be worth a try.
I am surprised that the tire installer didn't notice the damage.

Actually, I only had the rear 2 mounted and balanced so far, so they haven't seen them yet. I have NT555s waiting to replace the Invos on the fronts. The place I used to mount & balance the rears is actually a wheel repair shop that does the work for most of the dealers in the area for their "upper end" work. Shop was full of Benzes, Porsches & such when I was up there. So at least I should, hopefully, be able to one-stop-shop and get it repaired when I get the front tires swapped out.

I didn't trust Discount Tire to do the mount & balance, even though it would've been free since I bought from their online site. They damaged 2 wheels on my 911 a few years ago, despite having the pre-install talk with the manager and being assured that he would put his "best guy" on it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I remember the time I had a pre-install talk with the manager and was assured he would put his "best man" on it. I walked over to the tire shop and overheard the manager telling his "best man" to try not to screw this one up. :eek:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Zemedici

Established Member
Discount tire is not the best place to go and get quality work done, due to their procedures/protocol. They're corporate offices demand the stores are all about speed. My brother's shop was a 'spotlight store', meant corporate was always watching them. The minute a car pulled in the shop they had 7 minutes to dismount and mount 4 tires. Needless to say they were more about 'quantity' than 'quality'. I watched a tech drop my brand new black chrome FR500 on its face, directly on his tools, chipping my wheel. :bored:

twawsico

Established Member
I just got a quote from Wheel Repair Solutions (Carrollton, TX) for the repair for $90. That's the shop I'm using to mount & balance the tires, in case anyone in the Dallas area is looking later on.
They say it'll be a one day turnaround. Luckily it's only the inner lip, so they won't have to deal with refinishing/matching the face of the wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread