Every broke one of these before?

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Ever broke one of these before?

So this past week I was at the track with a bunch of other members at a private track rental at mason dixon.

My dfx clutch defitnaly went south... spec V will be going in... I also broke something else...

I had a rattle coming from the front and I couldn't figure out what it was. So today i took the belt off to see if any of the idlers were loose. To my suprise my lower pulley was very loose.

I come to find out that the hub is the part that is loose. One bolt was still in but starting to come out. Annother bolt was gone...

go to this thread to see a pic of what the last bolt looked like:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ra/every-broke-one-of-these-before-51283.html

Last edited:

Tills

Established Member
I had that happen on my '84 Cougar. The Harmonic balancer came loose and I threw one of my belts. I thought the engine had let go when it happened.

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
Damn! What the heck caused that to happen? How old was your DFX?

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
RAWSN8K said:
Damn! What the heck caused that to happen? How old was your DFX?

my dfx was about 4k old...

JPC will be replacing it with a spec stage 5. I'll ask Justin/Eric to take some pics of the clutch when they take it out.

i'm just glad it was nothing major. I have no clue that the bolts would even break like that. If anyting i would think the belt would slip first..lol

car will be back up and running in a week or so then back to the track for me. I was so pissed/depressed on saturday because my car was running like shit.

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
I have around 3.5k on mine and I don't have a problem. I hope that I never do since I paid JPC around a grand to have it put in. I think it was way too much but I didn't have time to do it myself before the Fun Ford Weekend last year.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
lRageATMl said:
my dfx was about 4k old...

JPC will be replacing it with a spec stage 5. I'll ask Justin/Eric to take some pics of the clutch when they take it out.

i'm just glad it was nothing major. I have no clue that the bolts would even break like that. If anyting i would think the belt would slip first..lol

car will be back up and running in a week or so then back to the track for me. I was so pissed/depressed on saturday because my car was running like shit.

Hey man, it happens. When we go throwing all these aftermarket parts on our cars, things are bound to happen. You are going to love the spec 5 bro. Are you going with a new steel FW? Its amazing how with a unsprung clutch disc I get almost no chatter, just alittle sometimes backing up in reverse.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Hissssnsvt said:
Hey man, it happens. When we go throwing all these aftermarket parts on our cars, things are bound to happen. You are going to love the spec 5 bro. Are you going with a new steel FW? Its amazing how with a unsprung clutch disc I get almost no chatter, just alittle sometimes backing up in reverse.

Ken i wanted to ask you about the steel flywheel opposed to an aluminum one. Why did you decide to go steel?

and about shit happening... i know...lol

my car is barely a cobra anymore. It just sucks that it happened at a private track rental. I need to get an ice box like yours badly. I'm also thinking of going with the LFP radiator as well. probably dont' need it but it can't hurt...

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
lRageATMl said:
Ken i wanted to ask you about the steel flywheel opposed to an aluminum one. Why did you decide to go steel?

and about shit happening... i know...lol

my car is barely a cobra anymore. It just sucks that it happened at a private track rental. I need to get an ice box like yours badly. I'm also thinking of going with the LFP radiator as well. probably dont' need it but it can't hurt...

I had a long conversation with a spec dealer, they recommended their steel FW for the power and weight of my car. Some guys are saying it actually helps cut down on clutch chatter. One bad thing is, its hits the tires hard! But with your setup I think you would be fine. Either way you would be fine, although you can also save a few $$$ going steel.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Hissssnsvt said:
I had a long conversation with a spec dealer, they recommended their steel FW for the power and weight of my car. Some guys are saying it actually helps cut down on clutch chatter. One bad thing is, its hits the tires hard! But with your setup I think you would be fine. Either way you would be fine, although you can also save a few $$$ going steel.

yeah the guys at JPC are suggesting a aluminum flywheel for me. They were telling me that I don't need a steel flywheel because our cars make so much torque down low already.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
lRageATMl said:
yeah the guys at JPC are suggesting a aluminum flywheel for me. They were telling me that I don't need a steel flywheel because our cars make so much torque down low already.

No doubt the guys at JPC know what their doing but just to get a second opinion I would call Spec and see what they recommend. It cant hurt, they were very helpful for me. They will want to know everything about your setup and what your plans are for the car, if mainly race or street use, weight and power of the car, tires, gear, etc.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Absolutely no problems with my lil old Spec 3 going on 2 years of track abuse. My CFDF was absolute junk for the track.. :xpl:

Get-er-done soon! We still have some decent evening air left for some PB's.. :beer:

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
humm Interesting now that I have a CFDF this surface It will be interesting on seeing how many folks that do occasional track think of the CFDF I know the DFX is a different story and many reccomend that set up.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
booricua said:
humm Interesting now that I have a CFDF this surface It will be interesting on seeing how many folks that do occasional track think of the CFDF I know the DFX is a different story and many reccomend that set up.

Every setup is different - the CFDF has worked fine for many, not me. The Spec 3 has worked great for me - others hate it....

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
THe DFX is a pain in the backside to use on the street. It's either engaged or it's not. There is no slipping of the clutch. I was originally going to go with a SPEC Stage3+ but a few members recommended the DFX.

Users who are viewing this thread